• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 455 PRM modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brel york

It wouldn't totally surprise me if PEP EMUs were in better nick than Mk3 EMUs because of the ally bodies.
It’s only an aluminium skin over steel pillars , a lot of 1970s products , pep and mk 3 coaching stock had expanding foam pumped into the solebar , the 507/508 that were repaired by wabtec in 2009-2010 didn’t suffer from solebar corrosion, just pillar corrosion behind the door pocket sheer plate, this is common on the mk3 mu stock also
Expanding foam tending to stop water ingress which can happen from leaking window rubbers or poor sealing in the door trough area , the down side is the poisonous fumes given off when burning, this meant it needed to be removed before corrosion repairs could be done

Class455

Established Member
Something I noticed yesterday was that 455 815 is most probably the only full unit not to have LED lights in any carriage. It sure looks weird, especially when you get used to the 455's with LED's.
Is there any reason why Southern decided to fit only one or two carriages with LED's on some units too rather than the full set?

Class455

Established Member
Really good to see the first unit finally going for refurb. Hopefully when the moves are in full swing I’ll catch one on the WCML. I thought the work was going to be done in house? Maybe it could be more than just minor work....

Class455

Established Member
I have added a list to the top post on Page 1. Please let me know when updates are required!

Class455

Established Member
Currently on 455 805 and it has new door alarms!
Seems as though the door alarm work is being carried out in house, whereas the rest of the work is being done at Wolverton

Class455

Established Member
How different will the interior be?
I’m not sure but going by what I read I’m guessing the “revised seating layout” will be minor. There will be new gangway door handles though, as well as some other features. Guess we will find out when 455816 returns to service

The opening tone on the new door alarm on 455 805 can’t really be heard from inside, as it can only be heard from the speaker on the outside but the door alarm only plays on the inside when the doors close. Is this the case on the PRM modified 313’s or is that something that will be rectified later on?

They sound exactly the same as a Class 700’s door alarm

Fincra5

Established Member
I’m not sure but going by what I read I’m guessing the “revised seating layout” will be minor. There will be new gangway door handles though, as well as some other features. Guess we will find out when 455816 returns to service

The opening tone on the new door alarm on 455 805 can’t really be heard from inside, as it can only be heard from the speaker on the outside but the door alarm only plays on the inside when the doors close. Is this the case on the PRM modified 313’s or is that something that will be rectified later on?

They sound exactly the same as a Class 700’s door alarm

Yeah it seems to be the same.

I’m quite suprised that power sockets aren't going to be fitted to the 455’s, considering Eversholt are currently fitting the 318’s with them.

The motor alternator would not be able to cope with plug sockets! You would need to replace the MA with a static converter, something SWT looked at a couple of years ago but was too pricey. The cab air con puts the MA on the limit as it is.

IKB

Went one stop on 455810 today. It has new doors buttons on the exterior and a much louder hustle alarm. Was only on it briefly but nothing about the seating/covers struck me as any different.

Class455

Established Member
57303 hauled 455844 from Stewarts Lane to Wolverton yesterday. Believe 455839 and 831 are now back but will await confirmation before updating the list

Milo T.K

Class 455816 seemed like a normal pre prm 455 to me as I went on it today

Class455

Established Member
455814 now has new buttons, seen today at Selhurst with 455819 (unmodified)

Class455

Established Member
Have today seen two of the units which went to Wolverton, 455 839 and 455 844 and from the outside it looks like nothing has been done to them. There aren’t even new door buttons. It makes me wonder what is actually being done to the units at Wolverton?

physics34

Established Member
Have today seen two of the units which went to Wolverton, 455 839 and 455 844 and from the outside it looks like nothing has been done to them. There aren’t even new door buttons. It makes me wonder what is actually being done to the units at Wolverton?

the only other things that are happening as far as i know are new door handles on the doors between coaches and a slight change in seating layout. Not sure what is being done where!

Class455

Established Member
Meanwhile, 455805 was taken to Wolverton by 57301.
Hopefully if there is a move this weekend I will go out to catch it.

Class455

Established Member
455802 with new door buttons, seen this morning at Purley

physics34

Established Member
Also 455845 with new door buttons and chimes/alarm. The door closing hustle alarm gives less time than previously to get clear of the doors

Class455

Established Member
Also 455845 with new door buttons and chimes/alarm. The door closing hustle alarm gives less time than previously to get clear of the doors
Any reason why the second door button has been covered up? Surely they could’ve fitted another button similar to the SWR 455’s. I noticed that other BREL units however only have one door button.

I wonder if the units that have visited Wolverton have had door work done on them to make the doors shut slower, like on the SWR 455’s.

physics34

Established Member
Any reason why the second door button has been covered up? Surely they could’ve fitted another button similar to the SWR 455’s. I noticed that other BREL units however only have one door button.

I wonder if the units that have visited Wolverton have had door work done on them to make the doors shut slower, like on the SWR 455’s.

probably money saving ie less maintenance. I also notice the door open/close buttons inside are the other way around (close at the top).

Status
Not open for further replies.