• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Day Saver - existence & availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A quick one - does such a ticket still exist? If so how do you get one? I tried at MK but they couldn't sell me one for tomorrow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Last time I bought one last year, you had to book one via the journey planner on Southern's website. Plan a journey from A to B and it will be shown as an option.

It has to be bought at least 3-4 days in advance.

NSEFAN

Established Member
According to the Southern website, the daysave ticket is no longer available online on a "temporary" basis (although it's been that way for months now). You can only buy the tickets from the listed tourist information centres in Eastbourne, Lewes, Seaford and Hastings...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thanks - So i can only book one three days on advance and only then buy it from tourist information offices miles from my house. Is there a special password or handshake? Very 21st century

fiddlesticks! weekend plans stuffed.

hangus78

The Daysave ticket became temporarily unavailable when they switched to their new site. Read into that what you will ;)

island

Veteran Member
Give it another month or two and it'll be withdrawn "owing to lack of passenger demand".

D6975

Established Member
Looks like the temporary bit has been removed. The website now reads:

Please note: Daysave Peak and Daysave Weekly will no longer be available for purchase after Sunday 15th May 2016. To buy Daysave Peak or Daysave Weekly before Sunday 15th May 2016, please contact our customer service team with the reference 'DaySave'.

ashworth

Established Member
Looks like the temporary bit has been removed. The website now reads:

Please note: Daysave Peak and Daysave Weekly will no longer be available for purchase after Sunday 15th May 2016. To buy Daysave Peak or Daysave Weekly before Sunday 15th May 2016, please contact our customer service team with the reference 'DaySave'.

I didn't think it would ever return in its previous form, especially the 7 day version. I found the Daysave Weekly a very useful and good value rover ticket when on holiday in South London for days out in Surrey, Sussex and along the south coast. That leaves the south of England with no weekly rover tickets. The Kent 3 Day Rover is expensive and restrictive in the area it covers. It's not much use if you are wanting to travel just over the border outside Kent as it doesn't extend into parts of London or East Sussex.

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
Note that the off peak daysave isn't mentioned in the quote I provided, this may possibly survive. (if you can find a way of buying one that is)

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Back in March I was told by Southern "We are working towards a resolution." I have messaged them again asking if there was actually never any intention to resolve it.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Another load of tosh from GTR, I see. Interestingly, I popped down to the tourist information centre in Hastings a couple of months back, and apparently they weren't allowed to sell the ticket...

I really do hope that DaySave Off-Peak remains; it's useful not just to railway or travel enthusiasts, but to normal passengers as well. My partner's mother uses it to visit multiple relatives in a day - when the ticket isn't available, she uses the car rather than faff about with multiple tickets.

causton

Established Member
It still comes up in systems as a normal rover/ranger (may have changed as of today so if so ignore this entire post!) so if you find a clerk or friendly guard that either doesn't know better or understands the situation the normal one is probably still available!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Note that the off peak daysave isn't mentioned in the quote I provided, this may possibly survive. (if you can find a way of buying one that is)

That's because it hasn't been discontinued.

You just need to jump through hoops before you can get your hands on one.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Abolishing it is a resolution :lol:
Well then that will be the resolution response one would expect back from Southern.

Incidentally do they tell their customer service staff what they can and cannot day about tickets?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.