• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Daysave

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I collected a Daysave from Victoria yesterday, for use next Wednesday (21/03/12).

The ticket shows it is valid between East Croydon and any Southern train. Why is this? Presumably I can start my journey at Victoria if I wanted to?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

district

Can you scan the ticket in? AFAIK it's valid on Southern service, with the exception of the Southern services which call themselves Gatwick Expresses.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I collected a Daysave from Victoria yesterday, for use next Wednesday (21/03/12).

The ticket shows it is valid between East Croydon and any Southern train. Why is this? Presumably I can start my journey at Victoria if I wanted to?

My Daysave last summer was printed the same, although I picked mine up at East Croydon. And I started my journey at Ashford International, so yes, it is any Southern service (except Gatwick Express according to the small print on the t&cs page).

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks guys - I figured the 'Any Southern Train' bit made it valid for starting at any station.

John @ home

Established Member
The ticket shows it is valid between East Croydon and any Southern train. Why is this?
Because the clunky ticketing software insists on a real station being printed as the "origin". Southern's Head Office is in Croydon. Perhaps that's why East Croydon has been chosen.

As others have said, this does not restrict the ticket's validity in any way.

thedbdiboy

Because the clunky ticketing software insists on a real station being printed as the "origin". Southern's Head Office is in Croydon. Perhaps that's why East Croydon has been chosen.

As others have said, this does not restrict the ticket's validity in any way.

That is correct. The sales process needs to record an 'origin station' but there is currently no way to suppress that field from being displayed on the ticket. Work is finally underway to scope replacement of the legacy fares system architecture inherited from BR and which is still underpinned by 1980s mainframe processes (!), so hopefully by about 2015 this sort of thing can be avoided :)

Status
Not open for further replies.