• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern discount off-peak from their own TOD's only

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
When double checking to buy my tickets from Forest Hill to Brighton using their online promotional offer on Monday, the promotion offer states that I have to pick up from a Southern TOD. So for me, it's not that much of an issue as East Dulwich, North Dulwich and Peckham Rye are a 10/15 min bus ride away.

Yet, they'll sell a 12% off ticket from here and passengers have to travel further away to pick up the tickets. This may be an issue for Southern passengers from Rugby, Milton Keynes Central etc who decide to do a day trip using the promotion if they have to travel to London to pick up their tickets in the first place!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brucey

I've collected these from Milton Keynes Central, Cosham and Portsmouth & Southsea. All were issued fine.

I was collecting these well in advance, so had a backup plan (Rainy Day Guarantee) just in case I couldn't get them.

paul1609

Established Member
When double checking to buy my tickets from Forest Hill to Brighton using their online promotional offer on Monday, the promotion offer states that I have to pick up from a Southern TOD. So for me, it's not that much of an issue as East Dulwich, North Dulwich and Peckham Rye are a 10/15 min bus ride away.

Yet, they'll sell a 12% off ticket from here and passengers have to travel further away to pick up the tickets. This may be an issue for Southern passengers from Rugby, Milton Keynes Central etc who decide to do a day trip using the promotion if they have to travel to London to pick up their tickets in the first place!

As far as I know the only tickets that are restricted to Southern Only TVMs are Daysave tickets and this is because some other TOCs machines (believe it includes SWT and SET) are not set up to issue day rover tickets.

bicbasher

Established Member
From Southern's mixing deck when selecting the online discounted off-peak return.

Off-Peak Day Return

If you choose to collect your tickets via Ticket on Departure, please be aware that these tickets can only be collected from a Southern station. View the Southern TOD list here

Discounts:
Children (Aged 5 to 15 inclusive): 50% discount.
Up to two children under five can travel free with each fare paying passenger.

Railcard discounts:-

Disabled Persons Railcard: 34% discount
Family & Friends Railcard: 34% discount
HM Forces Railcard: 34% discount
Network Railcard: 34% discount
Senior Railcard: 34% discount
16-25 Railcard: 34% discount

Other discount cards:- New Deal Photocard (England and Wales): 50% discount
Gold Cards: 34% discount

Minimum railcard fares apply.

Refunds:

Tickets are non-refundable.

Changes:
You may change your travel plans at any time within the validity of the ticket without having to pay an additional fare. Restrictions on when you can travel with this ticket may apply to both the outward and return journeys - please check before travelling.

Change of journey is applicable at a charge of £2 per transaction on the Southern website (refunds not available when changing to a lower priced ticket)

Availability:
Up to four children (aged 5 – 15 years old) may travel Off-Peak anywhere on the Southern network for only £1 each (£2 on First Capital Connect Services) when accompanied by an adult with this ticket.
Break of journey:
A break of journey is allowed on both portions of the ticket, as described in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

If the route shown on the ticket is prefixed with a +, the ticket includes the cost of travelling across London on the London Underground, Docklands Light Railway or First Capital Connect (Thameslink Route) services as appropriate to the journey. Further details.

Validity:
The outward journey must be on the date shown on the ticket. The return journey must be on the date shown on the ticket. This type of ticket may have restrictions on the time of day that you can travel. These are generally in the early morning, but may also be in the early evening.

Train operator:
Southern Railway

Booking deadline: This ticket can be purchased in advance or immediately before travel.

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
I've collected from Southampton Central before, both the TVM and new pick up only machines.

paul1609

Established Member
From Southern's mixing deck when selecting the online discounted off-peak return.

Until the beginning of this year we didn't have any TVMs on Marshlink. Ive picked up discounted tickets at Hastings, Ashford International (SET) and Portsmouth Harbour (SWT) before.

johnnycache

I've just booked a Forest Hill to Brighton off-peak day return with 12% web discount and did not find that message

https://tickets.southernrailway.com/sn/en/purchase/DeliveryDetails

I can definitely confirm (as a Southern employee) that the tickets can be collected from any TOD enabled ticket vending machine

The only exception (as stated earlier) is for Daysave tickets which cannot be issued by all types of machine and are not on the list of TOD-able tickets

bicbasher

Established Member
Thanks, seeing the consensus is that it appears to be an error with the mixing deck, I'll book the tickets and collect from Forest Hill as normal.

johnnycache

I've now found the error you were trying to point out. Its wrong and on behalf of Southern i would like to apologise and to re-imburse the price of your tickets as a thank you for pointing out the problem and helping us to correct it. If you contact our customer services [email protected] and refer to this thread i will make sure you get your money back. If anyone else has noticed any similar errors please let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.