• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Downlander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

Can I just check that I haven't missed anything here...

I need to travel from MKC to HAV next Tuesday, leaving on the 15:13.

The DaySave is £12, but excludes travel from London in the evening peak, so I wouldn't be able to use this and also requires 7 days advance booking. However, for 50p extra, the Downlander doesn't appear to have an evening restriction.

Am I correct thinking this?

Has anyone used this e-ticket before at Milton Keynes (or other London Midland stations) and can share their experience on whether I am likely to have trouble (my connection from the bus to train is very tight at MKC).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Downlander is any Southern train after 1000 M-F so you would be ok there. The Daysave is not allowed to board between 1645 and 1915 at London Victoria, Clapham Junction, East Croydon, London Bridge. Your itinerary says departing CJ at 1638, so you should be ok. The website will let you book for 26th March today, so as long as you order it before tomorrow you would be ok. The only remaining problem with the Daysave is that you have to pick it up at a Southern ticket machine. This probably rules out Milton Keynes, but if you would be in London at the weekend you'd be ok. It takes a couple of days for them to send you the reference number.

Brucey

Thanks MikeWh, exactly what I expected. For the extra 50p, I will buy the Downlander as I may well miss my connection (from an unreliable free bus service) at MKC.

paul1609

Established Member
Can I just check that I haven't missed anything here...

I need to travel from MKC to HAV next Tuesday, leaving on the 15:13.

The DaySave is £12, but excludes travel from London in the evening peak, so I wouldn't be able to use this and also requires 7 days advance booking. However, for 50p extra, the Downlander doesn't appear to have an evening restriction.

Am I correct thinking this?

Has anyone used this e-ticket before at Milton Keynes (or other London Midland stations) and can share their experience on whether I am likely to have trouble (my connection from the bus to train is very tight at MKC).

Ive used a Downlander several times from Victoria in the evening peak, never had a problem, tbh I think they are quite rare and most staff dont know what they are!

Last edited:

SussexMan

Am I missing something here? You can't use the Downlander e-ticket at Milton Keynes or any London Midland Station.

Brucey

Am I missing something here? You can't use the Downlander e-ticket at Milton Keynes or any London Midland Station.

It is valid on any Southern train, so would be valid at Milton Keynes for the hourly Southern service to South Croydon, via the West London Line.

SussexMan

Well there you go, never knew Southern went up to Milton Keynes. Might have a look at that to see how you can avoid a London crossover when going north of London.

Status
Not open for further replies.