• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartland

Putting aside the difficult issue of Driver Only Operation, if that is possible, the decision to cancel trains by Southern is in itself is a step in to new territory and there must be a debate now as to is this act justified. The selective cancellation has affected more commuters than others leading them to chose alternative services. I was a the National Archives yesterday and travelled back on a underground service from Kew Gardens at 1800. The train was already busy with all seats taken and people standing and this was only after leaving Richmond, where the train started.
It is true that the number of people using trains has increased, but should any rail franchise treat their customers in such a way. It appears to be a decision driven more for the needs of the shareholders, and profit,than the users. There is is also the thorny issue of what can the DfT do. Members who read this group may have different opinions that support or disagree with the present franchise system. It is one where although there is a degree of control by the DfT, but should the current Southern/Thameslink arrangement be cancelled and the dormant DOR be reinstated to step in the breach again like they did with East Coast.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moonshot

Established Member
Putting aside the difficult issue of Driver Only Operation, if that is possible, the decision to cancel trains by Southern is in itself is a step in to new territory and there must be a debate now as to is this act justified. The selective cancellation has affected more commuters than others leading them to chose alternative services. I was a the National Archives yesterday and travelled back on a underground service from Kew Gardens at 1800. The train was already busy with all seats taken and people standing and this was only after leaving Richmond, where the train started.
It is true that the number of people using trains has increased, but should any rail franchise treat their customers in such a way. It appears to be a decision driven more for the needs of the shareholders, and profit,than the users. There is is also the thorny issue of what can the DfT do. Members who read this group may have different opinions that support or disagree with the present franchise system. It is one where although there is a degree of control by the DfT, but should the current Southern/Thameslink arrangement be cancelled and the dormant DOR be reinstated to step in the breach again like they did with East Coast.

The brutal reality is that if there isnt enough staff to cover the schedule of daily services, then there will be cancellations. It is actually irrelevant who runs the franchise.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
GTR is a management contract so all fares go to DfT who then pay Govia to do their bidding (including forcing through DOO). I hate to say this but the RMT will lose and once DOO is introduced, the services will be reinstated. DOR won't be taking over any time soon

Heartland

The cutting of the Milton Keynes- East Croydon Link is a case in point. The loss of this service puts more people on the other lines and especially the already crowded underground. Or is this local policy to cram as many as possible into London, so that the taxis, underground and buses grab the fares regardless of hassle.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It'll also make people pay more as the planners won't show the lower via Kensington Olympia fare. I bet LM (prop Govia) and SN (prop Govia) are not upset by this at all, but it is disgraceful.

talldave

Established Member
It also means people can't claim delay repay for trains that are no longer in the timetable.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To add to the above there is acceptance via London on LM (not VT), so you can walk up and buy a Kenny O ticket and still use it via London - but it takes longer, and the journey planners won't tell you that so at least some will pay over the odds.

I did expect them to run Clapham-Watford shuttles - disappointed they pulled it entirely.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
It also means people can't claim delay repay for trains that are no longer in the timetable.

I thought they could?

"During the amended timetable, you will be able to claim compensation against trains cancelled in advance or against delays experienced on the day; either against the normal or the amended timetable."

is what the Southern website says. I read that as if you normally catch the 7.30 and its no longer in the timetable and the new train is the 8.05 you can claim.

You can also claim if instead of the new 8.05, you catch the new 7.05 and it is delayed more than 30 minutes.

hwl

Established Member

yes you can as GTR have said you can claim for delay against services that were in the original non emergency timetable...

Agent_c

I was a the National Archives yesterday and travelled back on a underground service from Kew Gardens at 1800. The train was already busy with all seats taken and people standing and this was only after leaving Richmond, where the train started.

Funnily enough, I was about an hour behind you but departing from Kew Bridge. I don't think its fair to blame southern for the issues there that day as a lot of trains were cancelled due to "Emergency services dealing with a prior incident" as SWT were equally effected.

(I will however blame them for me having to get back to Portsmouth - where I'm on holiday - via Brighton, taking over twice as long as it should have. Why are the trains at CJ saying get on a train that is scheduled to be cancelled after bognor regis, and the platform staff telling me to get an earlier train to Brighton?).

KeithP

I was a the National Archives yesterday and travelled back on a underground service from Kew Gardens at 1800. The train was already busy with all seats taken and people standing and this was only after leaving Richmond, where the train started.
And what has that got to do with the 'Southern Franchise'?

Are there any Southern services to Richmond?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm struggling to work out what this thread is giving us that isn't already covered by all the other various threads about Southern's dispute?

ComUtoR

Established Member

The new timetable hasn't been implemented yet. This was not because of the new cancellations. The new timetable starts Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.