• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern January 2013 fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnycache

I wonder if the forum members would be willing to help with this

I work for Southern

Southern has a policy of not increasing certain fares

The maximum weekly season ticket price for journeys on Southern that do not involve travel via zones 1-6 is £60 per week in 2012 and is not due to increase in 2013

We think this offers outstanding value and will encourage passengers to use the train for longer commutes where we have some spare capacity

Can anybody find any fares that don't conform to this rule?

If so can you post them here and i'll get them fixed

....you could be the cause of a fare being reduced!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goatboy

Established Member
Just tried to catch you out - but true to your word a Southampton Central to Brighton 7 day season is an unbelievable £60 a week.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
I wonder if the forum members would be willing to help with this

I work for Southern

Southern has a policy of not increasing certain fares

The maximum weekly season ticket price for journeys on Southern that do not involve travel via zones 1-6 is £60 per week in 2012 and is not due to increase in 2013

We think this offers outstanding value and will encourage passengers to use the train for longer commutes where we have some spare capacity

Can anybody find any fares that don't conform to this rule?

If so can you post them here and i'll get them fixed

....you could be the cause of a fare being reduced!

Is this flows priced by southern or wholly travelling with southern?

telstarbox

Established Member
Just tried to catch you out - but true to your word a Southampton Central to Brighton 7 day season is an unbelievable £60 a week.

As is Southampton Central to Ashford International (via Barnham), although the number of passengers who would use such a ticket wouldn't be huge! Is this the longest flow by distance (circa 129 miles via Eastbourne and Brighton) for which a Southern-priced season ticket exists?

TEW

Established Member
As is Southampton Central to Ashford International (via Barnham), although the number of passengers who would use such a ticket wouldn't be huge! Is this the longest flow by distance (circa 129 miles via Eastbourne and Brighton) for which a Southern-priced season ticket exists?
Guildford to Shepherds Well route via Barnham is available and priced by Southern. It costs £90 for the 7-day season though. You'd have to travel with other operators to use it of course. I reckon that's 163 miles via Havant, Brighton, Ashford and Dover.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Guildford to Shepherds Well route via Barnham is available and priced by Southern. It costs £90 for the 7-day season though. You'd have to travel with other operators to use it of course. I reckon that's 163 miles via Havant, Brighton, Ashford and Dover.

Or this flow?
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?...n&flow=0&multi=1&fare=5&rte=947&ldn=0&tkt=7DS

Q311 Cluster
5006 BROADSTAIRS
5019 MINSTER
5026 SANDWICH
5040 MARTIN MILL
5011 DEAL
5023 RAMSGATE
5034 DUMPTON PARK
5041 WALMER

Q462 Cluster
5663 SALISBURY.

wintonian

Established Member

No Weymouth - Dover Priory via Barnham exists but johnnycache might like to know that it is already £80 for a 7DS and I'm sure there are hoards of commuters doing it. :p - possibly useful as a useless headline reduction of 25% for the press release? :p <D

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No Weymouth - Dover Priory via Barnham exists but johnnycache might like to know that it is already £80 for a 7DS and I'm sure there are hoards of commuters doing it. :p - possibly useful as a useless headline reduction of 25% for the press release? :p <D

I thought the £60 max was on fares where Southern trains can be used throughout?

bnm

Established Member
Two things, to my mind, come across from the OP.

1. It looks like advertising.
2. Are Southern not able to find the errors in their own fares? Yes, its a complex system, but that complexity has been brought about by the TOCs themselves. A bit rich asking enthusiasts and customers to find the errors.

I'm in agreement about the good value for some flows though.

barrykas

Established Member
2. Are Southern not able to find the errors in their own fares? Yes, its a complex system, but that complexity has been brought about by the TOCs themselves. A bit rich asking enthusiasts and customers to find the errors.

I would imagine that quite a few anomalies arise from the use of "clusters" of stations to simplify the fares setting process, such that the various Pricing Managers (or whatever their respective TOC calls them) don't have to price every station to every other station individually.

When spotted, which would generally be by Ticket Office or on-train staff, they're passed on to the Pricing Manager to consider correcting them (which may involve consulting with their opposite number at one or more other TOCs).

Cheers,

Barry

island

Veteran Member

They can't win. If they don't consult people they're wrong, and if they do, they should have sorted it out themselves.

RJ

Established Member
They can't win. If they don't consult people they're wrong, and if they do, they should have sorted it out themselves.

I think jonnycache's active engagement with customers is a very commendable thing and that the opinion you have quoted deserves no attention.

paul1609

Established Member

Ive used these tickets before if Im making several journeys as the area of validity is massive since Barnham to Ashford is valid via Redhill and Tonbridge as well as Hastings.
I think its probably one of the best anytime rover tickets available!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

He asked for help reducing fares. I don't think there is anything untoward in his motives, at this stage at least.

Mushtimushta

@Johnnycache
It also seems a bit bizarre to me that you're posting on here to ask if you have your pricing policy for season tickets correctly applied. Could you not ask Southern's Pricing Manager?

I smell a whiff of advertising, rather than consultation. Consultation means asking before, rather than after the event.

Here's a couple for you to be getting on with:

London Terminals to Gatwick Airport via Any Permitted 7 Day £75.40
London Victoria to Gatwick Airport via Any Permitted 7 Day £70.00

You imply that if we find them, you will put them down. I do hope you're true to your word. If so, I'll change my mind on the allegation of blatant advertising.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
People are such cynics :roll: Personally I think it's fantastic and very commendable that the expertise on this forum is acknowledged by those responsible for setting fares.
Obviously those involve travel within the London zones, so do not fall into the category for the £60 maximum...

RJ

Established Member
@Johnnycache
It also seems a bit bizarre to me that you're posting on here to ask if you have your pricing policy for season tickets correctly applied. Could you not ask Southern's Pricing Manager?

I smell a whiff of advertising, rather than consultation. Consultation means asking before, rather than after the event.

Here's a couple for you to be getting on with:

You imply that if we find them, you will put them down. I do hope you're true to your word. If so, I'll change my mind on the allegation of blatant advertising.

You clearly did not read jonnycache's original post with regards to the geographical areas the tickets cover, so why should your opinions on it be taken seriously?

Be3G

Established Member
Johnny has asked for help from this forum before, and has offered help to other people, so despite the admittedly slight smell of advertising-speak (‘we think this offers outstanding value…’) I think it was meant with the best of intentions.

bicbasher

Established Member
Johnny has been a fantastic asset on this forum and has helped me in the past. I hope he doesn't leave because of a couple of cynical posts.

RJ

Established Member
It just goes to show why "enthusiasts" go alienating themselves from staff. Sadly the nuisance minority can be enough to put one off going out of their way to openly engage with them. Personally, I think johnnycache's posts and general helpfulness have outweighed anything bnm or Mushtimushta have contributed (I use the term loosely) to date other than pointless negative cynicisms.

I'm sure you all appreciate that I don't unequivocally support railway staff in everything they do. In this particular circumstance, I happen to think that we have a member of staff trying to do something postive, with two unhelpful individuals deliberately being obstructive whilst offering absolutely nothing to the discussion. Hopefully we can move on so this thread doesn't descend into a petty, pathetic squabbling session.

Last edited:

Mushtimushta

OK - my apologies for misunderstanding the original posting, but you have to admit, it leaves alot of area for mis-interpretation. I thought that the "Zones 1-6" reference was to Travelcard Seasons, rather than the geographical area it covers. I stand corrected.

What about the following, then:

Redhill - Portsmouth Stns via Not London - 7 Day £100.60
Portsmouth Stns - Hassocks via Not London - 7 Day £84.40
Portsmouth Stns - Haywards Heath - 7 Day £84.40

As to my "contribution", the face aint bothered. Didn't realise there was a League Table going on. If there is, don't want to be part of it.

bnm

Established Member
He asked for help reducing fares. I don't think there is anything untoward in his motives, at this stage at least.

I never said there was anything untoward, although the OP did seem to be a little on the side of advertising rather than consultation. I was just of the opinion that it shouldn't be the job of customers to help with pricing.

Would any other business ask its customers to help fix errors in their pricing system?

For raising those points it's intimated later in the thread that I'm a nuisance, pathetic, and my opinion is pointless. :roll:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I never said there was anything untoward, although the OP did seem to be a little on the side of advertising rather than consultation. I was just of the opinion that it shouldn't be the job of customers to help with pricing.

Would any other business ask its customers to help fix errors in their pricing system?
He is perfectly allowed to engage with the travelling public. Why not? Why shouldn't a business ask help from the customers to spot any errors that have been missed, and correct them in the customers' favour.

bicbasher

Established Member
One of the former Southern Metro station managers used to post on two of the local forums in London, again he was friendly and resourceful and the feedback helped him to resolve issues at stations on his patch, but yet again he decided to leave and also received some negative feedback.

Either way, they can't win at Southern!

johnnycache

A few comments on the feedback so far

1) I realise its taking a bit of liberty asking forum members to help spot mistakes and it would be great if our systems could find them all for us - but as anyone who has had the experience of using "new fares for windows" would know its not the most user friendly system in the world
2) I'm asking you to spot fares that can be reduced in price - its not as if i'm asking you to sniff out anomalies so we can get rid of them
3) Where the journey extends beyond Southern "territory" we usually charge £80 per week. I think Ramsgate to Weymouth for £80 per week is reasonable value!
4) We have tried to take possession of the flows we need for our pricing policy but this is tricky if the owning TOC doesn't want to hand them over - so there will be some fares over our preferred price because we didn't set the fare
5) The cases i'm interested in finding are flows where we do set the price but for some reason we have got it wrong
6) Although we like good headlines as much as anyone we haven't made any great fuss about this - but business has been picking up nicely anyway.
7) Its not just the season that's a flat fare - the off-peak day return should be £15, the anytime day single £14.90 and the off-peak day single £14.80. You might say its a bit pointless having an off-peak day single 10p below the anytime day single but its done to enable webTIS to offer kids for a quid and groupsave which only work with off-peak fares

So any help much appreciated

And don't worry about my employers finding out - this is company policy approved at the highest level

Goatboy

Established Member
I find Southerns approach to pricing very refreshing and something it would be good if other TOC's looked at emulating.

Status
Not open for further replies.