• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Milton Keynes - Selhurst not DOO from Clapham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
hello all,

This question is based on the 2012 timetable, so just looking for an answer based on that time period, but I notice in the 2012 Working Timetable that Milton Keynes Central - East or South Croydon have a '@' symbol in the time at Clapham Junction, which the note mentions it means changes from '-' to 'D' which makes sense, its then DOO from Clapham to Croydon.

The one terminating at Selhurst, specifically the 18.13 Milton Keynes Central - Selhurst has no note of a change to DOO at Clapham, or anywhere for that matter.

I take it this one carries a guard through to Selhurst? Is this then the only non DOO service between Clapham and Selhurst? Or is it likely the note was accidentally left out of the timetable by mistake and is actually DOO from here?

Any help appreciated!

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was going to ask a related question on this which I'd forgotten about, so I'll ask it here too.

I used the Southern a few weeks ago to go to Imperial Wharf for a walk along the Thames. When I got off it appeared the guard was operating it OBS-style, i.e. just checking the platform and using the key, not actually controlling the doors.

Is this usual now, if so which part of the route?

Coincidentally, it was that Selhurst one (1813 from MKC) - might be different than the others for the reason you mention?

387star

On Moderation
I was going to ask a related question on this which I'd forgotten about, so I'll ask it here too.

I used the Southern a few weeks ago to go to Imperial Wharf for a walk along the Thames. When I got off it appeared the guard was operating it OBS-style, i.e. just checking the platform and using the key, not actually controlling the doors.

Coincidentally, it was that Selhurst one (1813 from MKC) - might be different than the others for the reason you mention?
It's only on the WCML a Guard is required

Lewlew

Is the limit perhaps Shepherds Bush instead of Clapham Junction? They used to have short trips to Shepherds Bush from the south

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Is the limit perhaps Shepherds Bush instead of Clapham Junction? They used to have short trips to Shepherds Bush from the south
The Shepherds shorts have always had conductors on them, even when operated with 455s

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Just a thought come to my mind, unless the guard is carried through to Selhurst to check the train is empty, as it terminates at Selhurst and is then empty to the depot, thus saves the driver checking it through? At Croydon there is platform staff, or at South Croydon its turning into another service anyway.

Still not sure who would operate the doors.

Bletchleyite - the guard had the key in the local door? So was he giving the driver the 2 bells? Or was the driver closing the doors then the guard, or on board staff, closing his door afterwards, then I guess the driver only knows when to go when the door interlock has extinguished?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Bletchleyite - the guard had the key in the local door? So was he giving the driver the 2 bells? Or was the driver closing the doors then the guard, or on board staff, closing his door afterwards, then I guess the driver only knows when to go when the door interlock has extinguished?

It appeared to me that the OBS approach was being used, i.e. the driver released (as they always do on those units), then the guard opened the door, put the key in, looked round and removed the key, the door then closing and the unit departing as soon as the orange lights went out (so no pause for "buzz buzz, buzz buzz"). So no use of any of the buttons.

I might have seen it wrong but I'm fairly sure I didn't.

387star

On Moderation
It appeared to me that the OBS approach was being used, i.e. the driver released (as they always do on those units), then the guard opened the door, put the key in, looked round and removed the key, the door then closing and the unit departing as soon as the orange lights went out (so no pause for "buzz buzz, buzz buzz"). So no use of any of the buttons.

I might have seen it wrong but I'm fairly sure I didn't.
It's one of the bizarre hangovers that never went fully DOO after the infamous dispute
I think Guildford services will.be withdrawn. 455s have been withdrawn from Horsham and battery units are mooted for Uckfield. I imagine Southern resents having this service

Status
Not open for further replies.