• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Platforms Length Information 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEnnis

Hi Members

I was wondering if any of you could help me with a project im trying to work on at the moment but struggling with.
I am after Platform Length information(etc Portsmouth Harbour 12 Coaches) for All Stations and All Stops throughout the entire Southern Network Even the ones not managed by Southern or GTR

Any information would be very welcoming
Aiden:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PudseyBearHST

Hi,

I would say the Sectional Appendix would be a good resource as it contains maps of routes including stations and platform lengths in metres. Unfortunately, I can’t get it to load.

I13

As above, platform lengths should be in the sectional appendix archives - see link below:

You'll want the one for Kent/Sussex/Wessex, but there's a lot in there so might take a while to find what you're after.

Platform lengths are also in the timetable planning rules (TPRs), which are easier to navigate, link here (look under operational rules EAS-TPR):

They're split by Kent, Sussex and Wessex, and will all be in section 5.4 of the TPRs. Worth noting however that there can be a lag in platform lengths being updated in case of extensions etc.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Do you want length in meters or length in coaches?

also, do you want to include stations that southern pass through but don’t call at?

I can help with the solent area coach lengths. Below is assuming we’re talking about 20m coaches such as 377s.

Southampton Central 12
St Denys 6
Swaythling 4
Southampton airport 12
Eastleigh P2 12, P3 up direction 9.
Hedge end 8
Botley 6
Fareham 8
Bitterne up 6 DN 7
Woolston 7
Sholing 7
Netley 7
Hamble 4
Bursledon 7
Swanwick 7
Portchester 6
Cosham 8
Hilsea 8
Fratton 8
Portsmouth & SS P1, 2 & 4 12, P3 9 (possibly 10?)
Portsmouth harbour P1 8, P3-5 12
Bedhampton 6
Havant 12

Epsom to Guildford are all 10 except for platform 2 and 3 and Guildford which are 12.

DelW

Established Member
Quail track diagrams volume 5 (now published by Trackmaps) shows platform lengths in terms of coach numbers for what was Southern Region:

Murray J

I know most platforms on the East Grinstead line are 12 cars long now (for 377s), except dormans, lingfield, Riddlesdown and Woldingham which are all 8.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As above, platform lengths should be in the sectional appendix archives - see link below:

You'll want the one for Kent/Sussex/Wessex, but there's a lot in there so might take a while to find what you're after.
Kent route alphabetical platform lengths start at page 131 of that SA pdf, followed by Sussex and Wessex.
They were last updated June 19, Jan 18 and April 17 respectively, as far as I can see.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

also, do you want to include stations that southern pass through but don’t call at?

I can help with the solent area coach lengths. Below is assuming we’re talking about 20m coaches such as 377s.

Southampton Central 12
St Denys 6
Swaythling 4
Southampton airport 12
Hedge end 8
Botley 6
Fareham 8
Bitterne up 6 DN 7
Woolston 7
Sholing 7
Netley 7
Hamble 4
Bursledon 7
Swanwick 7
Portchester 6
Cosham 8
Hilsea 8
Fratton 8
Bedhampton 6
Havant 12

Epsom to Guildford are all 10 except for platform 2 and 3 and Guildford which are 12.

Guildford platform 2 is only 12 cars in the down direction, anything reversing is limited to 10 cars (such as Southern services to/from the New Line) due to the location of the London end starting signal and point work.

AEnnis

Southampton Central 12
St Denys 6
Swaythling 4
Southampton airport 12
Hedge end 8
Botley 6
Fareham 8
Bitterne up 6 DN 7
Woolston 7
Sholing 7
Netley 7
Hamble 4
Bursledon 7
Swanwick 7
Portchester 6
Cosham 8
Hilsea 8
Fratton 8
Bedhampton 6
Havant 12

Length of coaches if possible and also isn’t there a margin either end of the train due to stopping position amongst drivers?

Last edited:

AEnnis

Platform lengths are also in the timetable planning rules (TPRs), which are easier to navigate, link here (look under operational rules EAS-TPR):

They're split by Kent, Sussex and Wessex, and will all be in section 5.4 of the TPRs. Worth noting however that there can be a lag in platform lengths being updated in case of extensions etc.
Thanks very helpful information that is :)

ctrh136

Slight correction, Riddlesdown and Woldingham take 9 coaches. Think it was so that 8x23m can fit (the 171s)
Ones I know:
Kenley / Whyteleafe South take 5
Whyteleafe takes 7
Caterham / Purley Oaks / South Croydon 8
Purley: platforms 3/4 12, 5/6 10

AEnnis

Slight correction, Riddlesdown and Woldingham take 9 coaches. Think it was so that 8x23m can fit (the 171s)
Ones I know:
Whyteleafe takes 7
Thanks

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Ones I know:
Whyteleafe takes 7

Riddlesdown and Woldingham was so 9x20m could fit as up till electrification the DEMUs came in multiples of 3s. Evening peak workings were booked 9 DEMU splitting at Hurst Green for example.

Veteran Member
Riddlesdown and Woldingham was so 9x20m could fit as up till electrification the DEMUs came in multiples of 3s. Evening peak workings were booked 9 DEMU splitting at Hurst Green for example.
Pedantically, for Hurst Green read Oxted.

Status
Not open for further replies.