• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Rail next stage of assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degsi00

Good day all,

I've just recieved an email saying my application has been successful.

Can anyone who has applied with Southern tell me what to expect in terms of assessments as the next stage? Do they use SCAAT or GB, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

:idea:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver170

Well done buddi ;) I can't speak personally for southern. But with first ScotRail we used paper GB alot easier I found mate. Good luck all the best !!! I start training on the 5th nov trainee driver :)

Degsi00

Cheers mate and congrats to you.

This is the first time I've applied for such a job, so feeling good that my application has even been considered. I must say thanks to everyone on this forum I their words of wisdom have given me much food for thought and set me on the right path for how best to prepare oneself.

I've been browsing the forum for related questions to my enquiry but haven't found much decisive - not for Southern at least!

Guess I'll just continue doing what I've been doing and generalise my prep covering all bases rather than micro manage.

I'm a bit surprised as no-one else have commented. Am I the only person who applied for the job/s that were advertised late September?

playmore64

I agree with vernon1987 I prefer the GB over the SCAAT any day. Well done vernon1987:)

I've compared my results and it shows I never miss or incorrectly mark the 4 dots but with the SCAAT I always miss one or two somewhere along the course.

@Degsi00 did Southern send you the practice material via email?

Southern have a strict guidelines on their so called radius rule anyone applying outside will automatically be rejected, harsh I know but that's the way they operate.

Harold

Degsi00,

Hi there, used to work for Southern for 4 years before transferring to South West Trains (currently training as a mainline driver). I can say for Guard (Conductor as Southern call them) they use the SCAAT test, for Driver they'll use Group Bourdon as far as I know. If you download/search for 'digital reality', good programme to use in preparation for SCAAT or GB, depending on what your going for.

Hope this helps.

Harold

Degsi00

Cheers lads,

@Playmore64 - no attachment in the email, simply will contact me ASAP with regards to the next stage.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate because where I live is within 30min travel of all 4 London Depots by either car or train.

@Harold - already grabbed that bit of software and been keeping myself busy with it. At the mo' I'm averaging 73 lines on GB with 1 omission. Need more practise with SCAAT as I'm getting around 66-70 lines completed with 3 or 4 omissions.

Thanks gents.

W230

Established Member
I can't tell you what Southern do but with FCC I did GB in the morning and then SCAAT in the afternoon. Northern do GB only. Not much help I know! :lol:

Vicpaul

Drop me a message with wny info you need buddy. I'm 7 weeks into the drivers course for southern so providing your successfull ill see you down the school.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I have really enjoyed reading the useful tips and advice this forum offers and it has helped me to pass the initial trainee driver psychometric tests with Southern Rail at the start of last month. As you can imagine I am over the moon in getting this far as I feel like a mini lottery winner.

However, I have not received any details with regards to an interviews/medical as yet. Have any fellow forum members had any feedback on possible interview dates and a potential job start date? I suspect that it may be early days yet as and that they they are still doing psychometric testing with other candidates. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Arthur

leonardos84

Hello, have u been for the assessment yet?? I had my assessment on wednesday and passed with flying colors, my final interview is next week @selhurst depot....Let me know how you get on...cheers bud....

Vicpaul

Well done leonardos84 and best of luck with the interview. The next course starts January so "when" your successful that's a probable start date. If I can help give me a shout

Hello, have u been for the assessment yet?? I had my assessment on wednesday and passed with flying colors, my final interview is next week @selhurst depot....Let me know how you get on...cheers bud....

Hmm interesting. I still haven't had an interview date yet. I did contact HR at the start of last week and they told me that no interview dates had been confirmed yet. I guess I shall have to be patient.

Vicpaul

Hmm interesting. I still haven't had an interview date yet. I did contact HR at the start of last week and they told me that no interview dates had been confirmed yet. I guess I shall have to be patient.

They generally group the interviews together in the same week, call dave rudman or drop him an email to chase it up. They sometimes need a little reminder

leonardos84

They generally group the interviews together in the same week, call dave rudman or drop him an email to chase it up. They sometimes need a little reminder

Yeah, Dave called me a day after my assessment and offered me some different times during the week. So am having mine on wednesday, @arturtwoshed, when did you have your assessment and whatbdepot did you apply for??

@Vicpaul, any hints and advice on the interview?? How is it structured??

Yeah, Dave called me a day after my assessment and offered me some different times during the week. So am having mine on wednesday, @arturtwoshed, when did you have your assessment and whatbdepot did you apply for??

@Vicpaul, any hints and advice on the interview?? How is it structured??

I took my psychometric tests on Monday 5th November and applied for the Selhurst depot with a view to working in/out of either London Victoria or London Bridge. I feel that I may have to give Southern Rail a call on Monday morning to see what is happening.

Vicpaul

It varies widely, I was offered my interview on the day yet a couple in my class waited 2 weeks.

If you have previous rail experience that will help your copmetencies. Review the company, the motto, what they own where they run, don't say your there for the money when they ask why you would like to become a driver, tell them what you can bring to the role. With every competency you want to involve some safety and customer focus. It's best to right them down then rattle them off.

If you need anything drop me a message

leonardos84

It varies widely, I was offered my interview on the day yet a couple in my class waited 2 weeks.

If you have previous rail experience that will help your copmetencies. Review the company, the motto, what they own where they run, don't say your there for the money when they ask why you would like to become a driver, tell them what you can bring to the role. With every competency you want to involve some safety and customer focus. It's best to right them down then rattle them off.

If you need anything drop me a message

Thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I took my psychometric tests on Monday 5th November and applied for the Selhurst depot with a view to working in/out of either London Victoria or London Bridge. I feel that I may have to give Southern Rail a call on Monday morning to see what is happening.

Nd just to affirm, i applied for a conductor role, not driving....:)

SJS17

Hi. I also took the psychometric tests on 5th November and haven't had an interview date yet. Have you heard anything yet?

Al.

Hi there , no sure how to post a new thread but hope you can help .
I recently passed my part assessment with scotrail and next week have a managers interview . I was wondering if you can give me any help on question asked or answers they looking for. They also looking for 300 word written essay on why I want to become a driver ,help - no done this since school !!

Status
Not open for further replies.