• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patters1983

Hi I am been lucky enough to secure a job with GTR Southern as a trainee train driver.
Whilst I am very grateful for this opportunity I'm a bit curious as to what people think of Southern as an employer.
I would appreciate any feedback
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaseyJones

I've recently applied to Southern and am waiting to hear back from them. I'm also interested in what people are thinking at the moment at the moment about the company as a whole and what it's possibly like to work for them. Patters when did you apply btw and how was the application process (what was involved).

king_walnut

High wage, great benefits, 4 day working week .. anyone that complains about it doesn't know how good they have it.

Patters1983

Hey mate I applied in Apr got a start date for October!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Application process was 2 day of assessments, Driver manager interview, MMI and finally medical
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks King! Can't wait to start and get the training out of the way!

king_walnut

What was different about the 2 interviews? I imagine one was competency like "Name a time you had to deal with an emergency .. " etc. But what was the other one?

Mordac

Established Member
One thing to watch out for is the dangerous epidemic among the guards, but the rest of the staff seem to be immune to it!

Patters1983

The other one is also quite similar as they ask competency based questions too but they also mix it in with personal and questions about the company.

One thing to watch out for is the dangerous epidemic among the guards, but the rest of the staff seem to be immune to it!

Except of course the station staff, ticket office staff and drivers.

I wouldn't call fighting for safety and service standards a "dangerous epidemic".

OP, by all means take the job but do be aware of the toxic industrial relations environment currently on Southern.

I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, they fail to live up to their promises, there is zero respect and appreciation for the staff they employ and morale is rock bottom amongst front line staff, this isn't just southern I am talking about I'd say this about every govia operated TOC, but you don't have much of an option with TOC's in the South East for trainee jobs so good luck

Mordac

Established Member
Except of course the station staff, ticket office staff and drivers.

I wouldn't call fighting for safety and service standards a "dangerous epidemic".

OP, by all means take the job but do be aware of the toxic industrial relations environment currently on Southern.

Are those other members of staff all pulling sickies too? I know there's other disputes with them, and I was not making a comment on the wider dispute, just the "conductor sickness" issue.

Are those other members of staff all pulling sickies too? I know there's other disputes with them, and I was not making a comment on the wider dispute, just the "conductor sickness" issue.

The guards aren't pulling sickies they're just not working endless overtime for people who have treated them so poorly. Leaving jobs uncovered and the existing sickness more prevalent.

Appreciate you acknowledge the other disputes, just don't take GTRs figures re guard sickness without a shovel of salt.

tony6499

There is no Conductor Sickness issue, I wonder why people continue to bring it up when even Charles Horton couldn't provide proof of it at the House of Commons.

Perhaps you could provide proof of your statement or withdraw it ?

Class455

Established Member
Now that I've seen an active thread about Southern in the recruitment section, I might as well chime in here rather than making a whole thread about the following!
My college will be releasing me for work experience in March, and I am going to apply at Southern for work experience. I have been given the contact details of the Project Office Manager at GTR as apparently she's in charge of work experience.
What kind of work experience do Southern offer? Do they put you on a set task or on different tasks such as train dispatching?
Just want to know what happens before I send off my application.

LowLevel

Established Member
Now that I've seen an active thread about Southern in the recruitment section, I might as well chime in here rather than making a whole thread about the following!
My college will be releasing me for work experience in March, and I am going to apply at Southern for work experience. I have been given the contact details of the Project Office Manager at GTR as apparently she's in charge of work experience.
What kind of work experience do Southern offer? Do they put you on a set task or on different tasks such as train dispatching?
Just want to know what happens before I send off my application.

I understand with your years of railway experience and insightful commentary on operational issues you'll be seconded to following around the passenger services director, cleaning up whoopsies and other such important tasks.

By which I mean, no, you won't be train dispatching as that's safety critical and despite you knowing all about it I'm afraid they can't let you do it. I'm going to be moderately helpful and say you'll probably visit different areas of the business to see what they do and help out in little ways like providing passenger information on stations, doing a bit of cleaning and tidying, seeing how rostering offices work, maybe doing a bit of something like announcing, visiting a depot, seeing how HR etc work. I suggest you stay well away from any conductors though as some of them read this forum.

They might do the other format of work experience which is less varied but probably more realistic and stick you on a station for your placement and you'll help out in any way possible, IE none safety critical tasks. Bit of time in the ticket office, some on the platform, with the station supervisor etc.

Last edited:

BTU

High wage, great benefits, 4 day working week .. anyone that complains about it doesn't know how good they have it.

You clearly don't have a clue about Southern rail and how it's run do you, you also don't know much about train drivers, or their rosters because if you did you'd know there is more to a good job than just the money, if and when you ever work for Southern you will soon find out why there is so much animosity between staff side and management. If you are just in it for cash and time off you will soon find out "how good we have it" when you see some of the diagrams and start/finish times. Enjoy the good times ahead you sound like you really know what you are doing, you'd be better of in management at Southern you sound like just the man they'd like to have on their team.

ungreat

You clearly don't have a clue about Southern rail and how it's run do you, you also don't know much about train drivers, or their rosters because if you did you'd know there is more to a good job than just the money, if and when you ever work for Southern you will soon find out why there is so much animosity between staff side and management. If you are just in it for cash and time off you will soon find out "how good we have it" when you see some of the diagrams and start/finish times. Enjoy the good times ahead you sound like you really know what you are doing, you'd be better of in management at Southern you sound like just the man they'd like to have on their team.

Yup.Spot on. Dont work for Southern thankfully but am well aware of the situation there

trainmania100

Established Member
Southern is a great company to work for.

I wouldn't know what to say for the competency question emergency situation I don't think ive ever been in one apart from the time my Hornby colas 56 stalled on a crossover and a hst was fast approaching

king_walnut

I do work for Southern. I'm very aware of everything that's going on. I've been directly affected by it, but I still think I have it great. So get down off your perch, boy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.