• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Railway Car Park Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
We all know that a lot of railway tickets expire at 04:29 the day after expiry date and I would have naively assumed that the same applied to railway car parks too, until today.
The Purley Southern Car park by platform 6 (on railway land I think) has a sign stating that day tickets expire at 04:00 the day after. This leaves a 29 minute difference. Too bad if you wanted to return on the 04:24 arrival from Three Bridges!

I admit that its unlikely that parking inspectors would be in the car park at that time of day, but with automated ANPR-enforced car parking becoming more common in supermarkets and shopping centres, could this restriction one day catch someone out? Does anyone know why 04:00 was chosen?

Furthermore, according to the sign, the car park is managed by GTR on behalf of some third party car park operator (I thought it was be the other way round - maybe its a typo). If you were late back to your car due to your train being delayed, would you be able to use this in a defence against a parking penalty under the byelaws which govern railway-operated car parks?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Not really - the T&Cs for car parks are as outline by the operator and have no bearing on the time that train ticket validity..

And why would it?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The car park is run by the TOC, so both the parking and the train travel contracts have the same parties. I'm not sure whether this means anything legally though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not really - the T&Cs for car parks are as outline by the operator and have no bearing on the time that train ticket validity..

And why would it?

It would be more convenient and consistent

Clip

Established Member
The car park is run by the TOC, so both the parking and the train travel contracts have the same parties. I'm not sure whether this means anything legally though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It would be more convenient and consistent

In most cases nowadays the car park is run/managed by a parking firm and not the TOC so they dont have the same parties. However given the massive grey area surrounding private parking companies and what they can and can not do especially whether they can use the bylaw(14 is it?) is something Id not rather want to get involved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.