• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Railways R1 Class 0-6-0T

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
I wonder if someone could help me understand something.

As far as I can tell, there appears to be two different southern 0-6-0T designated as the R1 class.

The first, which is the one I always knew of, is the 'ugly' one:

mm_1010.jpg

The second, which i've only become aware of as being called the R1 class more lately, is

Railway-Photo-SR-R1-1339-Southern-Wainwright-0-6-0T.jpg

So which one is the R1 class?
Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Both AFAIK. 1010 carries a smaller cab (from the original Stirling R class?) to work the Canterbury and Whitstable line which had a small bore tunnel. The second picture is the common version.

Veteran Member

Bevan Price

Established Member
To add to the confusion, there was also a Class R1 0-4-4T, derived from a Kirtley Class R 0-4-4T, introduced on the LCDR in 1891. The last survivors were withdrawn in 1955/1956. This wheel arrangement was common on many railways in the Victorian era, and widely used on passenger services (mainly branch or suburban)

Class R 0-6-0T was a Stirling design for SER, introduced in 1888, but some were subsequently modified with "improved" boilers and classed as R1. The last locos of Class R were withdrawn during WW2, but some Class R1 lasted until 1960.

LCDR and SER combined to form SECR in about 1899.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.