• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern recruiting trainee drivers again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Hi I passed all of the assessments with Southern back in August, but didn't get through the driver manager interview. My application is still showing on their website as -'invited to assessment' some 2 months later. Does this mean my application is still 'active' ? Or do I need to start again. Thanks for any help.

Septus

Hi I passed all of the assessments with Southern back in August, but didn't get through the driver manager interview. My application is still showing on their website as -'invited to assessment' some 2 months later. Does this mean my application is still 'active' ? Or do I need to start again. Thanks for any help.

I think the only way you can be certain, is to contact Southern and speak to them direct.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Will try and do on Monday.

Don't hold much hope though mate, like you, I failed the DM interview, and only after calling them up about 6 week after hearing nothing they told me I failed and updated the online status of the application to "unsucessful external interview" :|

I believe the guy said I could re-apply 6 months after failing, so that'll be next year some time!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Spoke to a person in HR after finding out the DM interview result and was told I could reapply at any time (different case if I had failed one of the assessments)

anthony263

Established Member
I put in an application for the trainiee driver vacancy and the conducter vacancies earlier today.

Hope I have some good luck this time round

james956

on the job advert it said that you needed a pts card amongst a few other things as a mandatory requirement however when I looked into how you can get these things, the only way of getting them is if you are already in the rail industry. I don't see why they would be recruiting externally if a pts card is mandatory??

Septus

on the job advert it said that you needed a pts card amongst a few other things as a mandatory requirement however when I looked into how you can get these things, the only way of getting them is if you are already in the rail industry. I don't see why they would be recruiting externally if a pts card is mandatory??

Probably because there are thousands of people who work on the railway who are not a Southern employee?

I'm a railway worker have been for over 6 years and hold both PTS/IWA.

These are mandatory requirements to do the role of a train driver but are all part of your training and are not required pre application

james956

Yes Septus, clearly there are no end of people employed in the industry with other TOC's but EXTERNALLY means anyone, anyone being people like me who are not in the rail industry, hence the question. Thanks Iwillbeadriver, that's what I was hoping.

ushawk

Established Member
Southern are in the middle of their "mass" recruit and are prioritising train crew applications for crew roles over station roles, as of course you cant run a service with no staff - current drivers are starting to get a bit stretched too. There is starting to be a backlog for station staff positions too, as HR of course were making filling driver and conductor roles their priority.

Lots of station roles are currently advertised and there are more to be advertised too - though of course, these could be filled by people currently undergoing assessments if they are good enough for a role, but they arent given the role applied for.

Sbarfoot

I am trying to apply for the job but every time I go through the process and get to the review section I have no option to submit the form for good, tried on a few browsers and machines so not sure how to resolve the issue. Anyone have an idea?

Septus

I am trying to apply for the job but every time I go through the process and get to the review section I have no option to submit the form for good, tried on a few browsers and machines so not sure how to resolve the issue. Anyone have an idea?

There is a link part way down this page: http://www.southernrailway.com/southern/jobs/apply/

Some sort of PDF guide If you need help in applying or registering please use this how to use guide. (http://www.southernrailway.com/download/18236.4/southernjobopportunitiesexternalcandidateguide/)

Maybe this can help you

BromleyBoi

Good luck to all those applying.
Received my formal offer of employment & contract today for Southern.

All I will say and there are some on here who will back me up when I say this but at times the process can be slow and at times very frustrating with occasionally some unexpected hiccups but always think positively and try not to despair too much as you get the result in the end.

Sammy h

A little annoying that there doesn't seem to be a place to save the application and go back to it?

Septus

A little annoying that there doesn't seem to be a place to save the application and go back to it?

Yeah I decided to submit an application, last week.

Copied all of the questions into word and did my answers in word, which I then copy and pasted into the relevant boxes. Also word counts your words for you :)

Annoying that they specify they will only accept applications from people that already live within 30 minutes of the depot :(

NI 271

Annoying that they specify they will only accept applications from people that already live within 30 minutes of the depot :(

I've applied twice in the past and received instant (well, within a couple of days) knock-backs, so I assume they are quite firm on it.

Not wasted my time this time round.

NI 271

It's a shame they have reduced this to 30 minutes now.

Cost of living in London is exstorsionate

I'd go tomorrow if I had a job there...but couldn't afford London until I had one. Vicious circle, but to be fair to them, they don't need to look further afield so why take the risk?

Vicpaul

From what I've heard there is some sort auto sift so it's not as if you could explain relocating. For decent areas and non crippling rent you will always be more than half an hour away. I'd say over half my depot are outside 30 mins me being one

ushawk

Established Member

It makes sense for operational reasons, if you need staff in - then you can call them in at short notice, that and if the weather is poor (like when it will inevitably snow this Winter), drivers havent got far to travel.

30 minutes can work out to about 15 miles away depending on where you are (and also what time of day you would be travelling as its much quicker at night !!).

Southern arent the type of people to accept relocations at the moment either as there will always be applicants nearby and they need the staff fairly quickly. By all means say you can get there within 30 mins - then explain if you get further in the process that you will be relocating and everything is in place - theres a slim chance you may be accepted.

NI 271

From what I've heard there is some sort auto sift so it's not as if you could explain relocating. For decent areas and non crippling rent you will always be more than half an hour away. I'd say over half my depot are outside 30 mins me being one

On both applications I put - prominently - that I would definitely relocate if successful. And I would have, as I would for any trainee driver position. I suspect the software simply bases the outcome on the address provided. There's no point crying about it, it's their company, they can set any parameters they choose.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Is there a person I can speak to in HR there who can clarify if I can apply again. I passed all the assessments in Aug but didn't get through the DM interview. I have been told by one person I can reapply and then got an automated mail the other day saying I can't reapply for six months. Am very confused!
Thanks for any help.

girlygirl

To submit your form you must put in n/a on the last page, where it has a few questions for internal candidates, then it will give you the option to review and submit your application. All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.