• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern region Double Decker OO Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good evenig, does any one know, if there were and OO or HO gauge models made of the Southern region Double Decker trains that used to operate on some of the South Eastern Suburban lines from the late 1950s to the early 1970s? Thanks Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Good evenig, does any one know, if there were and OO or HO gauge models made of the Southern region Double Decker trains that used to operate on some of the South Eastern Suburban lines from the late 1950s to the early 1970s? Thanks Steve.
Only ones I've ever seen were 3D printed.

Peter C

Established Member
To my knowledge, none of the big manufacturers have made a 4DD in OO or HO gauge. https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/news-double-deck-sr-emu-kits-from-ajay-models/ has the following to say about a company making a resin kit of one, though:
Double-deck SR EMU kits from Ajay Models
1625595681555.png

The UK loading gauge doesn't permit the double-deck coaches so popular on commuter routes abroad, but that didn't stop Bullied building a set in 1949 - and thanks to Ajay Models you can now do the same.

The UK might be the birthplace of railways, but we also have the most restrictive mainline loading gauge in the world.
Head abroad and you'll find commuter trains made up of double-deck carriages allowing loads of capacity in relatively short formations. Sadly, our bridges and tunnels are too low to permit this.
This didn't stop Oliver Bullied, one of the most innovative railway engineers we have ever produced, having a go.
In 1949, he was responsible for the 4DD EMU sets destined for the Charing Cross to Dartford route.
The sets were not true double-deckers as the upper and lower level compartments alternated between high and low positions. There is a diagram showing this here.
Worse, the upper level was cramped, seats rock hard and thanks to the limited clearances, the windows couldn't be opened. Dwell times at stations were increased to allow for the length of time it took for passengers to get on and off.
Despite this, the sets ran until 1971 when they are scrapped.
4DD EMU from Ajay Models

For modellers, they represent an interesting development, but a significant challenge for scratch building. This task has been made a lot easier thanks to Ajay Models, who at The London Festival of Railway Modelling, showed the first shots of their forthcoming resin kit.
Comprising a one-piece bodyshell into which the interior clips and with its own bogie sets, construction should be within the abilities of many modellers, especially as the liveries were either plain green or rail blue.
Ajay3_900(1).jpg

The kit will include flush glazing for the upper deck windows and cabs, T door handles, white metal front and internal buffers, guards and drivers grab-handles, front jumper cables, bogie nuts and bolts, lower cab glazing, and full instructions.
Prices for the 4-car set will be:
Kit - £345
RTR - £1000 (using Replica powered chassis units)
More details will be available on the Ajay Models website in due course.

The website linked to at the bottom of the article is http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/, which doesn't list the 4DD under any of the menu headings. The World of Railways isn't the best resource either, given the lack of a date for either the article or the release date of the kit. Given it mentions the kit was announced at The London Festival of Railway Modelling, though, it's got to be from 2019 or before - the event was cancelled in 2020:

London Festival of Railway Modelling 2020 Cancelled​

Warners Shows have decided to cancel the London Festival of Railway Modelling, that was scheduled for 21-22 March 2020. This decision was not reached lightly, but Warners and The MRC believe that the right one for the health, safety and wellbeing of all involved. Thank you to all layouts, societies and members for their continued support for the show during these exceptional circumstances.

Meanwhile, why not check out some of our modelling blogs below.

-Peter

BRblue33

Way back in time there was a shop in canterbury that sold a 4DD kit . Now there is Ajay kits not sure if Aryan has them for sale . He was go'ing to do a 4cig as well. Back in 2018 we went to the same model club. One of the chaps built the kits for him when somebody orderd one all ready built . http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/2019/01/bullied-double-decker-pre-production-samples/ Give Aryan a call and ask. Or if you like i can phone him P/M me if you want me to speak to him.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Way back in time there was a shop in canterbury that sold a 4DD kit . Now there is Ajay kits not sure if Aryan has them for sale . He was go'ing to do a 4cig as well. Back in 2018 we went to the same model club. One of the chaps built the kits for him when somebody orderd one all ready built . http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/2019/01/bullied-double-decker-pre-production-samples/ Give Aryan a call and ask. Or if you like i can phone him P/M me if you want to speak to him.
OK, thank you for that info, I shall follow it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.