• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Region EMU De-icing/Sandite Workings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfletcher72

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am trying to gather information on the operations of the Southern Regions fleet of de-icing/sandite units in the 80s. I can find plenty of info on the units themselves, but details of the actual workings and operations is more obscure.

I take it that they would see most use in the Autumn and Winter seasons, and from what I can gather they could be out at any time of day, generally off-peak on busy sections.

But that's about all I can muster on these units.

As ever, any advice received is gratefully appreciated :)

Kindest Regards,

Richard

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Early 80s. N Kent, when I think they were just de-icers, I very rarely if ever saw one moving in the daytime (and I did go out in snowy and icy weather!). My local unit, 007 I think it was, generally parked up beside Gillingham level crossing as a regular fixture.
I had the impression that they ran in the small hours to prevent ice building up on the conductor rail when there was little traffic, and they weren't used in the daytime as the number of service trains kept the rail clear (mostly!).

Veteran Member
Both from observation and reading SR weekly notices which gave the "Q" paths, night-time was the norm (also when temperatures would routinely be at their lowest).

steevp

I was a guard at Fratton in the early 80's and I never managed to work the de-icer train - either it didn't run when I was booked it or I managed to swap the turn. My recollection is that the Fratton unit went up to Guildford, back to Havant and then up to Horsham and back to Fratton - I can't recall if it managed to include Littlehampton or Bognor on the way or whether/when it did Portsmouth Harbour on the way.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Both from observation and reading SR weekly notices which gave the "Q" paths, night-time was the norm (also when temperatures would routinely be at their lowest).

In their final couple of years they did have a lot of daytime diagrams, which gave me the opportunity - with careful planning - to photograph several in one day at different locations.

rfletcher72

I was a guard at Fratton in the early 80's and I never managed to work the de-icer train - either it didn't run when I was booked it or I managed to swap the turn. My recollection is that the Fratton unit went up to Guildford, back to Havant and then up to Horsham and back to Fratton - I can't recall if it managed to include Littlehampton or Bognor on the way or whether/when it did Portsmouth Harbour on the way.

As it happens, it's the workings of the Fratton unit I'm most interested in. Can you recall roughly what time these ran?

Also, what speed did these run at when 'at work'? Was it line speed or reduced?

Thanks to all who have replied :)

steevp

As it happens, it's the workings of the Fratton unit I'm most interested in. Can you recall roughly what time these ran?

Also, what speed did these run at when 'at work'? Was it line speed or reduced?

As I said, I never actually worked one, but I'm sure they were run at reduced speed when working - maybe 45mph? (although I think there was the "occasion" when they arrived back very, very early...;)). I have in my mind that they departed Fratton early evening - 19:30? But I may be dreaming that. Sorry it was a long time ago and there has been a lot of other stuff to remember since.

Status
Not open for further replies.