• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Services at Portsmouth Harbour

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaviewer

Can anyone tell me, please, what's happening at Portsmouth Harbour. I see that southern trains cease to use it after about 1530.

This could muck up plans for a lunch meeting in November. As if having to use a class 313 to get there from Brighton isn't bad enough.

Seaviewer

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Towers

Established Member
Where are SN services terminating instead? It's a journey of a few minutes or less from both Ports & S'sea or Fratton, with plenty of alternative services operated by SWR and GWR.

I13

I couldn't tell you why, but a lot of Southern services have been terminating at Southsea in recent timetables. Only one stop along so hopefully not too disruptive for your plans, if a bit inconvenient.

TEW

Established Member
I believe the reason more terminate at Portsmouth & Southsea now is an effort to improve reliability, as most Southern services have short turnarounds at Portsmouth.

Kite159

Veteran Member
If the Southern is terminating at Portsmouth & Southsea then it's easier to change at Fratton where it will be the same platform change (or the other side of an island) whereas Portsmouth & Southsea low level to the high level platforms can be a bit of a walk, especially if the Southern service goes in on top of something else

seaviewer

Thanks, everyone. I am not averse to a walk, but its not that short a distance. However, I see that there is a reasonable connection between a Waterloo train and the Brighton service in the up direction. Must check down

Status
Not open for further replies.