• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Timetable Change 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

southern442

Established Member
It would've made a lot more sense to have 1tph VIC - Regiate & Tonbridge, dividing at Redhill. I know that the Tonbridge line is very lightly used, but it would at least give more 8 car services from victoria to redhill. The Redhill routes have been continuously neglected and have only gotten worse as time went on. Remember when they had fast services to London? Remember the direct services to the coast?

Another thing I would suggest is making the Gatwick - Bedford ones stop at merstham, coulsdon south and purley, with the horsham to Peterborough ones being fast to east croydon. The mishmash of stopping patterns is really unnecessary, I can see absolutely no reason for this happening other than to just screw with people.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minstral25

Established Member
It would've made a lot more sense to have 1tph VIC - Regiate & Tonbridge, dividing at Redhill. I know that the Tonbridge line is very lightly used, but it would at least give more 8 car services from victoria to redhill. The Redhill routes have been continuously neglected and have only gotten worse as time went on. Remember when they had fast services to London? Remember the direct services to the coast?

Another thing I would suggest is making the Gatwick - Bedford ones stop at merstham, coulsdon south and purley, with the horsham to Peterborough ones being fast to east croydon. The mishmash of stopping patterns is really unnecessary, I can see absolutely no reason for this happening other than to just screw with people.

The Tonbridge services average less than 10 passengers per train through to London. It was strange today to see 377/3's at Redhill as the Tonbridge branch now doesn't need 4 coach trains. Reigate trains were always pretty full even off peak.

The proposal put forward by local Rail users was half hourly to Reigate with a split one to Tonbridge and one to Gatwick but this was considered too risky by GTR as it involved joining up and splitting at Redhill. They also wanted a Victoria to Brighton semi-fast to stop but that didn't happen either

The Horsham to London Bridge services used to stop all stations Purley to Horsham and the new split is causing problems as many local journeys need a change half way (Eg Earlswood to Crawley), so the Peterborough to Horsham should stop all stations and the Gatwick to Bedford should be the fast service from Redhill to London Bridge.

southern442

Established Member
The Tonbridge services average less than 10 passengers per train through to London. It was strange today to see 377/3's at Redhill as the Tonbridge branch now doesn't need 4 coach trains. Reigate trains were always pretty full even off peak.

The proposal put forward by local Rail users was half hourly to Reigate with a split one to Tonbridge and one to Gatwick but this was considered too risky by GTR as it involved joining up and splitting at Redhill. They also wanted a Victoria to Brighton semi-fast to stop but that didn't happen either

The Horsham to London Bridge services used to stop all stations Purley to Horsham and the new split is causing problems as many local journeys need a change half way (Eg Earlswood to Crawley), so the Peterborough to Horsham should stop all stations and the Gatwick to Bedford should be the fast service from Redhill to London Bridge.

That makes sense. I have never been all the way to Tonbridge from the mainline so I had no idea they were so ridiculously lightly used. Perhaps your idea of the Horsham trains stopping would make more sense. The jumbling around of service patterns on this route seems to have no real explanation, unless there was some heavy drug usage involved? If anyone has a decent reason as to why this has been done other than just to p*** people off I'd love to hear it!

Some of the problems this morning were caused by a person being taken il on a train at South Croydon, which was not the railway’s fault. Peak shoulder at 19:15 quite peaceful, and my 19:44 to Purley Oaks from East Croydon was on time.

IKB

Some of the problems this morning were caused by a person being taken il on a train at South Croydon, which was not the railway’s fault. Peak shoulder at 19:15 quite peaceful, and my 19:44 to Purley Oaks from East Croydon was on time.

Southern had quite a good day. The morning peak was ticking along until that incident at South Croydon which added 10-20 mins to a lot of journeys. It was recovered reasonably quickly and the evening peak was ok from what I can tell.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I travelled from Clapham Junction to East Croydon on the 0632 service from London Victoria to Caterham and Tattenham Corner this morning - 10-car train, loads of room for everyone, fast line path, thought that this having peak trains on this route was a good way of meeting demand for people to get from Victoria and Clapham Junction to East Croydon.

Next train down is the 0636 London Victoria to Bognor Regis which I saw at East Croydon. It was 4-car and absolutely packed - then I looked at the timetable and realised that it was the first Southern train from Victoria and Clapham Junction to Gatwick Airport since the 0554 London Victoria to Southampton Central. While there are three Gatwick Express departures in between these services, I can't understand how they imagine that there is no need for a service at that time for 42 minutes.

One point that dismays me is that the Gatwick portions of the morning services from Reigate to Victoria emerge from Tilgate sidings rather than providing capacity from London. It is crazy that there is rolling stock which carries its first passengers at 0749 on a network as busy as Southern's - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W63708/2018/05/22/advanced 5T69 0739 Three Bridges Tilgate Sdgs to Gatwick Airport particularly when Redhill and Gatwick have much worse contra-flow morning timetables than they did before the changes.

Moving on, a number of the peak Reigate trains convey a Gatwick Airport portion. They are then advertised as going to Reigate and Gatwick Airport on the information displays. My colleagues who travelled on these trains noted some anxious people who did not realise that the journey time to Gatwick Airport is over an hour given the split at Redhill. Perhaps these need to be advertised as Reigate and Horley until they pass East Croydon.

It was disappointing to see that the problems of getting trains through the stretch between Windmill Bridge Junction and Purley hasn't improved yet. One of the key things they need to do is get more right time running on this critical stretch of track. Even without the problems at South Croydon this morning, passengers on the xx29 and xx59 services from Redhill to Peterborough will have a much better experience than those who travel on the services using the slow line.

The jumbling around of service patterns on this route seems to have no real explanation, unless there was some heavy drug usage involved? If anyone has a decent reason as to why this has been done other than just to p*** people off I'd love to hear it!

While some of this may be down to turnaround times, it does also have some grounds in balancing demand between the services and allowing a number of destinations to have relatively quick journey times to London Bridge, albeit at the expense of Redhill getting a fast service.

The problem with running a service all stations from Purley to Horsham while at the same time looking to run faster services over the line is that it creates a conflict for paths - spreading the stops between the services means that all of the trains have similar running times and, at least in the off-peak, Redhill has four, rather than two reasonably timed services to London Bridge. I think the other point is that if the Gatwick to Bedford train was the fast, it would not be as full as other trains at East Croydon.

Passengers on the xx29 and xx59 from Redhill in the morning peak, assuming they run, are likely to have a considerably better experience than passengers on any other of the Redhill services, even with the Merstham and Coulsdon South stops.

It was strange today to see 377/3's at Redhill as the Tonbridge branch now doesn't need 4 coach trains.
It probably never did need 4-coach trains. I suspect that 508s were never full - the problem is that Tonbridge, Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells are all interesting places but really not big enough a draw for people to travel this route.

In some ways it is a shame that a London Victoria - Clapham Junction - East Croydon - Redhill - Tonbridge - Ashford - <maybe further> service wouldn't really stack up because it, rather than Brighton would avoid the problem of having to path trains over both Stoats Nest Junction and the junctions further south on the Brighton Main Line. I understand that the demand for Brighton would well outstrip demand for anywhere in Kent.

The proposal put forward by local Rail users was half hourly to Reigate with a split one to Tonbridge and one to Gatwick but this was considered too risky by GTR as it involved joining up and splitting at Redhill.

One of the 'wins' but maybe not for all passengers from any future Reigate platform 3 is the end of splitting at Redhill. I don't really see three paths for GWR and more than a half-hourly Thameslink service (unless something runs to Reigate on the other side of the hour from the GWR stopper).

They also wanted a Victoria to Brighton semi-fast to stop but that didn't happen either.

The claim by GTR is that this is a performance risk and actually, despite the issue noted above, Southern now have 6 trains an hour in the off-peak from Victoria to Gatwick Airport at 10 minute intervals - putting two of these via Redhill breaks that pattern. The off-peak diversion of Gatwick Express trains into platform 1 at Gatwick Airport gives a great connection for Redhill, faster perhaps than a through service.

However, of course, performance risks are acceptable to GTR when it suits them - eg the Windmill Bridge Junction to Purley corridor.

My concern about any south coast service being sent via Redhill is that whilst it gives journey opportunities to people to travel south, the trains arrive full and people have to stand to travel to Victoria at the same time as there is so much spare capacity on the 12-car 700s working to Thameslink destinations. Just as Redhill people don't like stopping at intermediate stations to East Croydon, so people from the Brighton line aren't exactly clamouring to share their London trains with people in Redhill.

That said, it is the cut in services from Redhill to Gatwick in the early morning peak which is leading to difficult journeys for people.

The DfT has given GTR a problem - it has so much off-peak capacity to London Bridge which it wants people to fill yet the off-peak demand is so firmly pointed at Victoria, to which Southern run shorter trains.

A colleague travelled from Reigate on Sunday on the 1006 service to London Victoria. He told me that by Purley this 4-car train was jam packed - even without the services to the GN which largely didn't run, passengers had so many other options for travel on Sunday from Redhill but the demand is for Victoria.

Running Gatwick - Redhill - East Croydon - London Bridge is unfortunately bad use of the capacity of a 12-car 700 if the other service is going to call all stations.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks to be going quite well this morning (from an armchair view of OTT maps / RTT) but concerned about the running of these three trains through East Croydon:

One of the fundamental parts of the timetable is that the pattern through platform 4 at East Croydon is that the peak time pattern should be:
xx31 Horsham to Bedford
xx34 Reigate to Victoria
xx38 Uckfield to London Bridge

Today, 1E04 0531 Uckfield to London Bridge has been put out at South Croydon in front of the two trains from Redhill, arriving five minutes early at East Croydon sitting in platform 4 for five minutes, putting eight minutes delay in the Bedford service (when it was no more than 2 minutes late at Purley) and breaking the important connection between the Reigate to Victoria service and the train to London Bridge which has also ended up 8 minutes late.

Uckfield train http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W60243/2018/05/22/advanced
Bedford train http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W64445/2018/05/22/advanced
Reigate train http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W60975/2018/05/22/advanced

The Bedford train was no more than two minute down at Purley and has ended up ten minutes late through the core. Does the automatic route setting at South Croydon need to be looked at?

Sunset route

Looks to be going quite well this morning (from an armchair view of OTT maps / RTT) but concerned about the running of these three trains through East Croydon:

One of the fundamental parts of the timetable is that the pattern through platform 4 at East Croydon is that the peak time pattern should be:
xx31 Horsham to Bedford
xx34 Reigate to Victoria
xx38 Uckfield to London Bridge

Today, 1E04 0531 Uckfield to London Bridge has been put out at South Croydon in front of the two trains from Redhill, arriving five minutes early at East Croydon sitting in platform 4 for five minutes, putting eight minutes delay in the Bedford service (when it was no more than 2 minutes late at Purley) and breaking the important connection between the Reigate to Victoria service and the train to London Bridge which has also ended up 8 minutes late.

Uckfield train http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W60243/2018/05/22/advanced
Bedford train http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W64445/2018/05/22/advanced
Reigate train http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W60975/2018/05/22/advanced

The Bedford train was no more than two minute down at Purley and has ended up ten minutes late through the core. Does the automatic route setting at South Croydon need to be looked at?

The main problem with the ARS at South Croydon is that it hasn’t been authorised, installed and commissioned yet. Which is the same for all of the interlockings between Thornton Heath/Anerley and Brighton/Hove.

tsr

Established Member
Looks like the Redhill to Tonbridge line has lost all its through services from London - even at peak times. Is this correct?

No idea what the demand for commuting on this line is, but I'd have thought it would be significant enough to preserve through running to London. Or in actuality do these trains still divide at Redhill and the timetables aren't showing this properly?

It is a Redhill-Tonbridge shuttle.

During the peaks there certainly is demand for travelling to London via Redhill, and some passengers are disappointed, but there is also demand from stations such as Penshurst and Leigh to travel to London via Tonbridge, and there’s also a lot of school traffic between Edenbridge and Tonbridge, so a fair proportion of people basically aren’t any worse off.

Off-peak, the route carried very few passengers from the smaller stations between Tonbridge and Redhill through to those north of Redhill, with most changing at Redhill for the Gatwick or Reading services, or alighting at Redhill. Sadly I don’t see it being considered logistically feasible to run a Tonbridge - Gatwick Airport service (which actually could do with starting as far away as Ashford Intl or somewhere around Canterbury, given the uptake of ticket purchases from those stations) so a shuttle may as well be timetabled to Redhill instead.

As there are so many Gatwick passengers, there are timekeeping benefits to it running as a self-contained shuttle with more frequent services either end. The service is unlikely to import many delays from elsewhere, so the least frequent and therefore most logistically challenging segment of such a journey could end up more reliable.

If the Reigate services ever go over to Thameslink or even TfL (both very tentative ideas mooted in times past) then I suspect this situation could be reconsidered anyway.

jha4ceb

The 1715 from Victoria to Eastbourne was 4 cars today - I hope that one is normally down to be 12?

I can see this one leaving late regularly. It seems to have a 10-minute turnaround from 1A43, which arrives at VIC at 1705 - and inbound trains at this time will commonly pick up a few minutes delay. The old 'equivalent' 1727 Eastbourne was formed from an ECS arriving at 1717, and it was relatively common to see that delayed due to the inbound ECS being held up.

Johnnyp88

The 1715 from Victoria to Eastbourne was 4 cars today - I hope that one is normally down to be 12?

I can see this one leaving late regularly. It seems to have a 10-minute turnaround from 1A43, which arrives at VIC at 1705 - and inbound trains at this time will commonly pick up a few minutes delay. The old 'equivalent' 1727 Eastbourne was formed from an ECS arriving at 1717, and it was relatively common to see that delayed due to the inbound ECS being held up.

Train is booked 8car

jha4ceb

Thanks for the info. That's a downgrade on the old 1718 Littlehampton then, which used to be 12. I think the 1727 Eastbourne used to be 12 as well? Before the change I would have been surprised to see many mainline departures between 1700 and 1800 leave with less than 12 cars (save for Three Bridges/Reigates & Cats/Tats)

387star

On Moderation
Shame the 0633 off Chichester to Vic is a 4 still

Never standing but always very well filled

Plus point is the attachment is now at Horsham previously three bridges when it Was the 0627

Also there is an additional London departure at 6

Coming back from Victoria the half hour frequency continues to close of service with more evening runs going fast between barnham and Horsham

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Where have all the Southern 377s released by the 700s gone? Is it really just a case of more Metro services, backfilling 377/6 and 377/7 deployed to Caterham / Tattenham Corner and 8-car 377/2 on the West London line taking 377s away from Coastal work?

Class455

Established Member
Where have all the Southern 377s released by the 700s gone? Is it really just a case of more Metro services, backfilling 377/6 and 377/7 deployed to Caterham / Tattenham Corner and 8-car 377/2 on the West London line taking 377s away from Coastal work?
Ideally they should be helping to lengthen trains which still run as a 4 car. I’m not even sure if the older 377’s are booked for Caterham/Tattenham Corner/Coulsdon Town services as I’ve seen mainly 455’s and 377/6’s on these services thus far.

Another observation is that Southern have made a stupid mistake with the calling points of the Caterham to London Bridge trains. The platforms at Purley Oaks and South Croydon can only take 8 car trains at the maximum (although Purley Oaks has the potential for an extension, South Croydon can’t due to two bridges at either end of the platforms), however Southern choose to run the London Bridge via Tulse Hill trains, formed of 8 car 455’s past those stations whereas they choose to stop the fast London Bridge trains, which are formed of 10 car 377/6’s at those stations, and as a result people have to stay in a certain part of the train. Why do that when you could stop the fast services at Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate instead, which actually have the sufficient platform length for a 10 car train, and stop the slow services at Purley Oaks and South Croydon?

I still think that the London Bridge to Caterham via Tulse Hill service is pointless, it was much better as it was when Caterham trains served Victoria and West Croydon trains served London Bridge via Tulse Hill. Now, there are no trains from Purley Oaks/South Croydon/East Croydon to stations beyond Balham, whereas if it stayed how it was, nobody would be inconvenienced.

Could someone please explain to me what’s stopping Network Rail from extending the platforms along the Caterham/Tattenham Corner branch? It would save a lot of time wasting at Purley, because now trains have to wait 5-10 minutes to divide, or have the doors unlocked if it’s a 455, whereas if the platforms were long enough for 8/10 car trains this would not have to be done. Southern should have looked at their existing infrastructure and worked on it before this new timetable was implemented, because now there are so many issues, particularly for those who live on the Caterham/Tattenham Corner lines which didn’t need to happen.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Could someone please explain to me what’s stopping Network Rail from extending the platforms along the Caterham/Tattenham Corner branch? It would save a lot of time wasting at Purley, because now trains have to wait 5-10 minutes to divide, or have the doors unlocked if it’s a 455, whereas if the platforms were long enough for 8/10 car trains this would not have to be done. Southern should have looked at their existing infrastructure and worked on it before this new timetable was implemented, because now there are so many issues, particularly for those who live on the Caterham/Tattenham Corner lines which didn’t need to happen.

The point of splitting at Purley is not really driven by the platforms on the Caterham and Tattenham Corner lines being too short. It is so that a frequent service can run on both lines and, in the peak, both Victoria and London Bridge can be served (as everyone on those routes expects). There is already congestion between East Croydon and Purley which causes havoc with the timetable on the Redhill, Caterham / Tattenham and East Grinstead / Uckfield lines.

Almost all splitting Caterham / Tattenham Corner trains are 10-377/6 so they can split equally to each destination. It has been explained before that the point of the London Bridge to Caterham via Tulse Hill service is to find a route where 8-car trains can be used and enable 10-car trains to run on suburban routes from London Victoria.

I think the point of stopping the Cat / Tat trains at Purley Oaks and South Croydon is that these locations have a fast service to London. I agree that it is a shame for connectivity that the path that the London Bridge to Caterham / Tattenham Corner trains didn't include a stop at Norwood Junction / New Cross Gate.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ideally they should be helping to lengthen trains which still run as a 4 car. I’m not even sure if the older 377’s are booked for Caterham/Tattenham Corner/Coulsdon Town services as I’ve seen mainly 455’s and 377/6’s on these services thus far.

Another observation is that Southern have made a stupid mistake with the calling points of the Caterham to London Bridge trains. The platforms at Purley Oaks and South Croydon can only take 8 car trains at the maximum (although Purley Oaks has the potential for an extension, South Croydon can’t due to two bridges at either end of the platforms), however Southern choose to run the London Bridge via Tulse Hill trains, formed of 8 car 455’s past those stations whereas they choose to stop the fast London Bridge trains, which are formed of 10 car 377/6’s at those stations, and as a result people have to stay in a certain part of the train. Why do that when you could stop the fast services at Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate instead, which actually have the sufficient platform length for a 10 car train, and stop the slow services at Purley Oaks and South Croydon?

I still think that the London Bridge to Caterham via Tulse Hill service is pointless, it was much better as it was when Caterham trains served Victoria and West Croydon trains served London Bridge via Tulse Hill. Now, there are no trains from Purley Oaks/South Croydon/East Croydon to stations beyond Balham, whereas if it stayed how it was, nobody would be inconvenienced.

So supposing you had 10 car infrastructure on both branches, how would you serve them? There are no more paths north of Purley. Sending a 10 car train to one branch to save the split removes the service entirely from the other.

10 cars per half hour to each of Victoria and London Bridge is probably about right for the *combined* peak demand of both branches. Yes you could have so 2tph in the peak each way as 10 car throughout as long as each branch loses its service to one or other terminal, and also loses its 4tph service as far as East Croydon, reduced to 2tph.

There is certainly enough demand for ten coach trains between Purley and Victoria/London Bridge. Caterham and Tattenham services have divided at Purley since electrification in the 1920s. Purley Oaks has had semi-fast trains to London Bridge for ever, and Victoria for a long while as well. Pre 1983 these came from Coulsdon North, post from Smitham. I accept that services aren’t immutable, but there are good reason to keep what we have in this case.

Class455

Established Member
So supposing you had 10 car infrastructure on both branches, how would you serve them? There are no more paths north of Purley. Sending a 10 car train to one branch to save the split removes the service entirely from the other.

10 cars per half hour to each of Victoria and London Bridge is probably about right for the *combined* peak demand of both branches. Yes you could have so 2tph in the peak each way as 10 car throughout as long as each branch loses its service to one or other terminal, and also loses its 4tph service as far as East Croydon, reduced to 2tph.
I suppose they could send two separate 8/10car trains during the off peak hours when splits never used to happen during that time if they wanted to lengthen existing train services. During the peaks I suppose splitting/attaching two trains would be better, but if Southern wanted to increase capacity during that time, then they could increase the length of the train. As a regular user of the evening peak London to Caterham trains, they do get very busy indeed, as do other routes, and even when I get off the train it is still very busy.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I suppose they could send two separate 8/10car trains during the off peak hours when splits never used to happen during that time if they wanted to lengthen existing train services. During the peaks I suppose splitting/attaching two trains would be better, but if Southern wanted to increase capacity during that time, then they could increase the length of the train. As a regular user of the evening peak London to Caterham trains, they do get very busy indeed, as do other routes, and even when I get off the train it is still very busy.

There isn't spare capacity between East Croydon and Purley off-peak either as the London Bridge to Coulsdon Town and London Bridge to Caterham via Tulse Hill trains kick in, the same number of trains run down the Redhill line and there is a freight path.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

sjoh

As I recall this was in fact suggested by Southern in the consultation, and subsequently nayed by both rail user groups.

Argyle_mikey

First Class is still declassified on the The Marshlink - or at least if it isn’t, there’s absolutely no keenness on the part of GTR’s employees to enforce it on the ground.

And for the sake of balance, that’s the third day running I’ve got a seat on the 6 coach 0716 Javelin from AFK to STP.

GodAtum

On Moderation
IMO there is less passenger capacity from East Croydon to Victoria. The 0724, 0728, 0738 are 8 coaches. The 0734, 0745 are 12 coaches. Before the change, trains during that period where all 12 coaches (0714?, 0732, 0739, 0742 and 0745).

JonathanH

Veteran Member
IMO there is less passenger capacity from East Croydon to Victoria. The 0724, 0728, 0738 are 8 coaches. The 0734, 0745 are 12 coaches. Before the change, trains during that period where all 12 coaches (0714?, 0732, 0739, 0742 and 0745).

Peak capacity into Victoria does seem disappointing and it is causing delays at East Croydon / Clapham Junction. Kind of needs a secondhand fleet of metro units to release 377s for the main line.

Caterham / Tattenham Corner services a mess this morning - caused knock on problems to Reigate / Gatwick Airport to Victoria services.

jha4ceb

I don't understand the reduction of peak services to 8 coaches - where have all the trains gone?

Checking out morning ECR-Victoria performance on the new timetable so far - I think the timekeeping is mostly comparable to before the change. Probably too early to say if there are problems with specific services - but the 08:04 has left after the 08:08 each day this week so far, so I guess aiming for that one will be a bad bet.

Train Mon Tue Wed
07:58 13L 2L 5L
08:04 15L 8L 5L
08:08 4L 1L RT
08:15 13L RT 3L
08:20 5L RT RT
08:24 5L 5L 3L
08:28 9L 3L 8L
08:34 9L 10L 5L
08:38 RT 3L 3L
08:45 Canc 3L 3L
08:50 RT RT RT
08:54 3L 5L 1L

Timekeeping shown is departure from ECR.

andos

Capacity between Victoria and East Croydon does seem to be a problem. There are some strange decisions on train lengths which don't help. e.g. the 17:21 VIC to East Grinstead was 10 coaches when it was the 17.23 and usually had plenty of seats free leaving VIC. Now it is 12 coaches, whereas the 18.51 VIC to EGR used to be 12 coaches and is now 8 despite being much busier.

I took the 18.51 home last night and it was heaving, the OBS announced first class was declassified until east croydon which at least suggests they've noticed the problem. It sounded like this might be a general policy but I want to check with Southern! I really hope they find a way to iron this out.

nw1

Established Member
Capacity between Victoria and East Croydon does seem to be a problem. There are some strange decisions on train lengths which don't help. e.g. the 17:21 VIC to East Grinstead was 10 coaches when it was the 17.23 and usually had plenty of seats free leaving VIC. Now it is 12 coaches, whereas the 18.51 VIC to EGR used to be 12 coaches and is now 8 despite being much busier.

I took the 18.51 home last night and it was heaving, the OBS announced first class was declassified until east croydon which at least suggests they've noticed the problem. It sounded like this might be a general policy but I want to check with Southern! I really hope they find a way to iron this out.

Surprised an 1851 would be busier than a 1721 as it's further away from the height of the peak (which I've always understood to be approximately 1700 to 1830, with 1730 to 1800 being the absolute height) - but evidently it is. Are there less alternative trains at 1851 than there are at 1721?

Status
Not open for further replies.