• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trainee Driver Selhurst

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Advertised on website good luck to anyone applying

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spurs4life

Its not a misinterpretation its what the advert does say.very strange because it also says you must have good knowledge of southern code of conduct.sounds like they what to give it to someone who already works for southern.

A-driver

Established Member
All southern trainee driver jobs say that-it is not a requirement though. You will be trained in all that before you start the official driver specific training. I know this as the trainee ad I responded to said that aswell and I got the job with them with absolutely no previous rail experience.

Good luck if you apply-Selhurst is the most intense depot in terms of work-some say it's up there with Bedford as the country's worst but I honestly don't think it's that bad-lots of variety, just lots of stations to stop at all day! Fairly quick link progression aswell at least into the next link.

387star

On Moderation
Indeed yes it is only mandatory requirements same as the necessity to pass the assessments so it is not essential, my mistake. Read the advert rather quickly.

Reganstorm

My understanding of the word mandatory is 'essential or necessary'

The advert reads:

Mandatory Requirements:

Must meet all entry criteria demanded by Southern for train driving.

Must be capable of communicating effectively by all means available.

Competent in knowledge of Railway Group Standard GE/RT8000 (Rule Book Modules).

Good knowledge of the Southern Code of Conduct requirements.

Holder of a Personal Track Safety Card (PTS).

Capable of retaining knowledge in order to participate in the programme of continuous assessment associated with train driving (Railway Group Standard GO/RT 3251: Safety Requirements for Train Driving).

Does seem a little strange!

A-driver

Established Member
I think it's just how they word it-those are things you need to be employed as a train driver. They will train you up to meet all those criteria though.

badassunicorn

can't see in on their website? Is this post helluva old or am I just blind ^^
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
found it =D

Having experienced a lot of TOC's. I can honestly say Southern is one of the best to work for.

Good luck to those who go for it!

Eros

Not so sure about one of the best to work for. At present morale is low because of the way the company is treating staff. Job cuts are looming. I know a lot of staff and Managers and they are not happy bunnies at the moment!!:(

MR_P

Just had my rejection for this one, may the force be with you for the rest of you applying !

I'm a driver for Southern based at Selhurst and although the work is intense (lots of stops!). I can honestly say that the drivers are excellent, really welcoming and not at all cliquey as I have have found them to be at other depots.

However, as I said before, the work is intense and the learning curve steep.

dglondon

Hi, I recently applied for a Southern Trainee Train Driver role at Selhurst and have just found out that I have passed the initial sift. I'm assuming the next step will be an invitation to the assessment centre.

I was just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of what tests I can expect. I am aware of the different types of tests that can be carried out but each TOC has a slight variation in the specific tests that they use. Eg. Does anyone know if Southern uses Group Boudon or SCAAT for the concentration test, and is it computer or paper based ?. Do they have a Mechanical comprehension test ?. Do they normally hold an interview on the same day as the assessment. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.