• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trainee Train Driver (Metro Depots Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railfan132

Applied for it! Fingers crossed, Also I have been invited for an assessment day at East Croydon for Shunter role. The tests include Group Bourden and TRP 1 and 2. If I pass them at the assessment center do I have to do them again for driver's role? Sorry bit of noob question!

sargentsiri

Would someone be good enough to list what depots these would be please?

I'd be willing to relocate - this is easier to do if I have a rough idea where I'd be going!

TIA

FManc

Does anyone know if Southern allow you to relocate? I'm currently Iiving up north, but originally from London so don't mind moving back down. I've already passed psychometrics with another TOC.

Class2ldn

I would think depots would be Victoria, London Bridge, Norwood and selhurst.
There are other metro depots but highly unlikely you'll get straight in (Caterham /Epsom)

Nobby

Thameslink advertised for Trainee Drivers over the weekend. As they are part of GTR along with Southern, would it be looked on as bad form to apply for both positions? The application forms are identical.

Saracen_83

Is your a/l leave rostered or can you choose what you like (staff levels depending??

Teddyward

I called HR and spoke to a lady there who confirmed I would be ok to apply even though I dipped the VSE with arriva last month so all good.

Emmsie

Is your a/l leave rostered or can you choose what you like (staff levels depending??
Rostered but if you don't have kids and end up with a school holiday its easy enough to change, if its the other way you're buggered

Ash7

Teddyward how come your able to apply only a month after doing tests with Arriva? Aren't you meant to wait 6 months?

Teddyward

Teddyward how come your able to apply only a month after doing tests with Arriva? Aren't you meant to wait 6 months?
I guess because I passed all the nationally mandated tests. The only one I failed is non mandatory and the guy at the opc said it would just bar me from the few tocs that use it but others would be ok. So I called today to check if gtr would accept that and the lady I spoke to said yes.
Edit.; of course a different person in hr might have a different interpretation so they might bin it but that’s the way it goes I guess. I’ll still try.

Ash7

Which one is the vse? I went to Arriva too, passed all of stage 1, but at stage 2 I passed trp1 I think it is national standard but not enhanced but the one where you have to keep the ball within the lines I failed due to speed ( sorry I don't know the name of it)

Saracen_83

Yea I have kids, although that doesn’t bother me too much about school holiday. Is it all rostered or part of it??

If i read correctly, you get 5 rd in a row every 3 weeks?? That correct? Is it the same basic shift pattern and rds??

Saracen_83

Rostered but if you don't have kids and end up with a school holiday its easy enough to change, if its the other way you're buggered

Yea I have kids, although that doesn’t bother me too much about school holiday. Is it all rostered or part of it??

If i read correctly, you get 5 rd in a row every 3 weeks?? That correct? Is it the same basic shift pattern and rds??

Teddyward

Which one is the vse? I went to Arriva too, passed all of stage 1, but at stage 2 I passed trp1 I think it is national standard but not enhanced but the one where you have to keep the ball within the lines I failed due to speed ( sorry I don't know the name of it)
That’s the 2 hand test. The vse came after that one.

Emmsie

Yep every 3rd week you get Fri, Sat, Sun,Mon and Tues off, total of 32 days off holiday of which 4 weeks are rostered and the others are bank hols and ad hoc holidays. The bank holiday thing is a bit confusing. If the bank holiday falls on your RD then you get that back as an ad hoc day easy peasy however your base roster can have you rostered to work on a bank holiday and then a couple of days prior to it they can decide that you're not needed in which case its used as a holiday, if you do work then that goes back into the pot as another ad hoc day. In general you will get about 12 ad hoc days off give or take a couple depending in how the bank holidays fall. I'm not sure about drivers but OBS have a base roster that gives you your pattern of work days and days off and expected diagrams with start and finish times then you get a weekly roster on which your diagram and start/finish time may have changed and then finally you get your daily alterations roster upto 24 hours before the shift and your start/finish time may have changed again. They can change your start time by upto 3 hours either side (might be 2 as a driver so basically if your start time is 9am then you need to be prepared to start/finish either side of that. Its a pain but I found that if the base roster had me working 48 hours a week by the time the DA sheet was up I was down to 41

joystick

I seem to be having trouble with the application website, it keeps playing up,anyone else having problems ?

Teddyward

Yes there are severe stack overflows however they have this set up. I have found clicking on one of the topic headings after clicking next seems to negate this.

joystick

Have you applied for Orpington as well ? I have and I am thinking they are only allowing 1 application .

Teddyward

I’ve managed to get ticks on all sectors except supporting information. It’s being a real stickler.

Status
Not open for further replies.