• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trainee Train Driver (Metro Depots Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FManc

Well at least there seems to be some movement then. When did you hear back out of interest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FManc

Ah well good luck with it all.
I'm in a similar boat myself having passed the tests already but I've not heard anything yet....just gotta wait and see I guess.

Tan

Ah well good luck with it all.
I'm in a similar boat myself having passed the tests already but I've not heard anything yet....just gotta wait and see I guess.
Who did you do your assessments with previously and also did you get sent the online questionnaire

FManc

Who did you do your assessments with previously and also did you get sent the online questionnaire

I've literally not heard anything since applying. I applied on the penultimate day so I don't know if that's got any bearing.
I did my assessments with VTEC and got offered a position, but then they withdrew the offer so I'm back to square one :/

dex

I'm in exactly the same position as FManc: previously passed GTR assessement day for a vacancy which was subsequently withdrawn, and haven't heard a dicky yet about this application. Mine went in on 24th March.

Tan

I've literally not heard anything since applying. I applied on the penultimate day so I don't know if that's got any bearing.
I did my assessments with VTEC and got offered a position, but then they withdrew the offer so I'm back to square one :/
I applied the 23rd March, got the online assessment I believe the 3rd April then my invite to the centre last week

Saracen_83

I applied 21st and heard nothing (I have completed stage 1 assessments) but with the rail it a waiting game as impatient as I am especially with certain roles it just a case of waiting and seeing!!! Can take months to hear back!

Last edited:

dex

What was the nature of the online assessment please? Was it a long list of "do you like a job where...." type questions?
(If so, that was part of the initial application process early last year when I made my first GTR application)

Tan

What was the nature of the online assessment please? Was it a long list of "do you like a job where...." type questions?
(If so, that was part of the initial application process early last year when I made my first GTR application)
Yeah it was the same.

RD81

I've spoken to people at GTR and they are massively oversubscribed with qualified drivers...with the new timetable there is going to be less work spread around more drivers....the coastal applicants have now been told there will be a potential wait of between 18 months and 3 years for next recruitment sweep. GTR is probably not the best star to hitch your wagon to right now.

Saracen_83

I've spoken to people at GTR and they are massively oversubscribed with qualified drivers...with the new timetable there is going to be less work spread around more drivers....the coastal applicants have now been told there will be a potential wait of between 18 months and 3 years for next recruitment sweep. GTR is probably not the best star to hitch your wagon to right now.

If so why advertise???

Nobby

May I ask, who are the people you have spoken to at GTR.........Drivers? HR? Management?

dex

In any case you can only hitch your wagon to stars within the requiste travelling distance, and even if you've got more than one TOC within range you'd still be mad not to try for all openings.

RD81

I was told that there a bunch of Thameslink trainees being brought in as they're massively oversubscribed also. There's a shortage of available instructors, some instructor's have 3 trainees out with them. I spoke with a Thameslink trainee who even though he'd passed the rules course he was stuck doing routes as they couldn't get him a DI for 18 months. Insane . they're legally required to advertise the vacancies despite the roles being earmarked. Happens regularly. What can you do eh?

There's no legal requirement to advertise a job externally (or Internally for that matter) and moving staff to fill areas of shortages is perfectly legitimate. Those staff have to want to move of course, and will need to be able to meet any travelling time requirements.

We will see what happens!

RD81

If the railway has taught me anything...until it happens?...who knows. Patience is key

Glover2013

Me too. I received this feedback:

‘Other candidates skills and experience were more closely aligned to the requirements of this particular role’...

Which is interesting given that I’m a qualified train driver with 3 years experience and a clean Safety of Line record! Guess they don’t want qualified drivers for trainee roles.

dex

I'm sure we all got the same wording. I was successful in my last GTR application and at Assessment, and to be only junked when they realised they had less vacancies than they'd expected, and my application wording was very similar this time around.
Nobody know what determines in what order the applications are read, but some applicants got invites for assessment within days of the closing date. I wonder whether once they know enough of those lucky ones have got through to fill the vacancies they might discard the rest. The wording will always be standardised given the huge numbers involved.

Glover2013

I'm sure we all got the same wording. I was successful in my last GTR application and at Assessment, and to be only junked when they realised they had less vacancies than they'd expected, and my application wording was very similar this time around.
Nobody know what determines in what order the applications are read, but some applicants got invites for assessment within days of the closing date. I wonder whether once they know enough of those lucky ones have got through to fill the vacancies they might discard the rest. The wording will always be standardised given the huge numbers involved.

I’m sure you are right. It’s nothing personal I know. GTR probably received thousands of applications and will have had to dismiss a load due to sheer volume. I thought my experience might give me an edge.

Glover2013

Does anyone know specifically which metro depots will be receiving trainees from this particular job advert?

Status
Not open for further replies.