• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peeler

I’ve got an assessment day for SWR next Thursday - I know they run it in-house and all the assessments are in one day, and assuming I pass all off those, will it count for Southern as well? It says in the email that they will accept passes from another TOC or GTR but I don’t think SWR use OPC... I’m anxious to email southern because they I’ve read here that they don’t look favourably upon applying to loads of different TOCs so... any insight into this?

SWR seem to have a same policy too on those applying for multiple TOCs. ‘If you pass with us we would like you to stay with us’ is what I was told. In addition you won’t do the MMI part with SWR on the one day so in effect you would have only completed part 1 of the assessment.

joystick

Your results at SWR are valid at Southern I did assessments with both, I was never told about they would like you to stay with them.

Elrey

SWR seem to have a same policy too on those applying for multiple TOCs. ‘If you pass with us we would like you to stay with us’ is what I was told. In addition you won’t do the MMI part with SWR on the one day so in effect you would have only completed part 1 of the assessment.

Thanks for this. That’s true, there’s no interviews at this stage. Assuming this works in reverse too, if I fail at this stage for SWR, I will need to let Southern know right?

Elrey

Your results at SWR are valid at Southern I did assessments with both, I was never told about they would like you to stay with them.

Thanks! Hmmm, I’d hope that’s the case, but tbh I actually hope I get it with SWR, HR and the company itself seem pretty supportive.

Peeler

Thanks for this. That’s true, there’s no interviews at this stage. Assuming this works in reverse too, if I fail at this stage for SWR, I will need to let Southern know right?

Yes that’s right. You wouldn’t get away with not telling them as your results go on a national searchable database. Before the assessments start you have to sign to consent to this and also to disclose if you’ve sat any of the assessments before.

mresh91

Does anyone know how Southern/GTR structure their assessments?

Pen and paper tests with computerised tests all in one day, or split over two days?

And then it's DMI on one day, followed finally by the MMI on another day if successful. Is this correct?

Thanks

mresh91

Hi, have they actually rung you and booked in a date for your DMI ? I take it you have already passed the assessment centre etc..

It was an automated email inviting me to select a date for the interview. As per the successful completion of the miniSCAAT email, they are sifting through those that have passed the assessments already, and I'm guessing will be sending assessment invites for those who haven't taken them already in due course. Keep an eye on your emails, things are slowly but surely moving along...

Tomo1062

It was an automated email inviting me to select a date for the interview. As per the successful completion of the miniSCAAT email, they are sifting through those that have passed the assessments already, and I'm guessing will be sending assessment invites for those who haven't taken them already in due course. Keep an eye on your emails, things are slowly but surely moving along...
Many Thanks for the info.
Hopefully hear something soon then.

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry if I’m reading this wrong, but one cannot take the Psychometric assessments with TOC A, and then attend another assessment day for TOC B and take any other assessments (either stage one or stage two). If you have the results from TOC A, you can of course use these, but can’t overlap the assessment centres. This is in case you fail any part of the process, so it’s clear.

Elrey

Just booked my DMI, some time in the next few months.

When you clicked on the ‘assessment’ link did it just book you in for an assessment day? Or was there an option to book interview sepereately?

I keep getting sent the assement day invite email, but I have just recently passed an assement day with another TOC. I have informed them of this, but no real response as of yet...

mresh91

When you clicked on the ‘assessment’ link did it just book you in for an assessment day? Or was there an option to book interview sepereately?

I keep getting sent the assement day invite email, but I have just recently passed an assement day with another TOC. I have informed them of this, but no real response as of yet...

It told me to schedule it under the interview tab, nothing to do with assessments. If there is a contact address in the email, try chase them up again.

Elrey

It told me to schedule it under the interview tab, nothing to do with assessments. If there is a contact address in the email, try chase them up again.

Hey

Thanks for your reply! I've chased it up already, just a waiting game I suppose.

RegRail148

Hey Everyone, I have today received an email advising me to login to the careers website and select a date to attend the assessment centre using the 'assessment scheduling' tool. When I login to the website I can not find this anywhere, is it a test in itself :) Anyone else had the email and had any luck scheduling the assessment centre?
Thanks!

Quin79

Hey Everyone, I have today received an email advising me to login to the careers website and select a date to attend the assessment centre using the 'assessment scheduling' tool. When I login to the website I can not find this anywhere, is it a test in itself :) Anyone else had the email and had any luck scheduling the assessment centre?
Thanks!

When you log in on the GTR careers portal where you see at bottom where says current application etc there is another box you need to click that says assessment....cluck abd select date

Quin79

By time I had managed to get the leave authorised for the assessment centre for the last one at end of June they were all booked up so had to find an earlier date to book. You have to be quick or you'll end up having one near beginning of next month.....

RegRail148

I absolutely don't have that option when I login. I think something has gone wrong, I'll email HR.

Quin did your email list the dates of assessment centre? My email stated: The availability of the below assessment date/s will close 7 days prior to the date listed. however there was no dates listed on the email either?

Elrey

Thanks!

This happened to me the other day.
There are no spaces left, and therefore the tools to book will not show. The next day however, there was another email to inform me that there were more dates opening up. When I logged in then, I could see the assessment tab.

Quin79

This happened to me the other day.
There are no spaces left, and therefore the tools to book will not show. The next day however, there was another email to inform me that there were more dates opening up. When I logged in then, I could see the assessment tab.

I'm sure there were about 8 to 10 dates when I logged in after getting the email. I wanted the last one at end of June and that clearly got booked up too quickly and missed out. I'm assuming on each date there'd probably be approx 10 candidates ? So that seems like loads going for the assessment. Even more so if they open up even more dates.
Reg, the dates were not in the email but after you have logged into the portal.

Elrey

I'm sure there were about 8 to 10 dates when I logged in after getting the email. I wanted the last one at end of June and that clearly got booked up too quickly and missed out. I'm assuming on each date there'd probably be approx 10 candidates ? So that seems like loads going for the assessment. Even more so if they open up even more dates.
Reg, the dates were not in the email but after you have logged into the portal.

Yeah must be loads. After all, there were 3,600 applicants for this. It seems like we may not even start until next year, seeing as the last assement dates are around the end of June, and then DMI and MMI need to take place. I got the assessment invite in error so managed to see the dates. But I’m due for an interview in two weeks time!
Then most likely need to be wait for all the applicants to get to the same point.

Quin79

Yeah must be loads. After all, there were 3,600 applicants for this. It seems like we may not even start until next year, seeing as the last assement dates are around the end of June, and then DMI and MMI need to take place. I got the assessment invite in error so managed to see the dates. But I’m due for an interview in two weeks time!
Then most likely need to be wait for all the applicants to get to the same point.

Good luck with the interview. I now need to knuckle down and try and start preparing as best I can for the assessment tests. A little apprehensive but have to give it best shot and hope can pass it in the two chances we have

Elrey

Good luck with the interview. I now need to knuckle down and try and start preparing as best I can for the assessment tests. A little apprehensive but have to give it best shot and hope can pass it in the two chances we have

Good luck too! I was literally so anxious prior to the assessments, but honestly they weren’t as bad as it seems. Just remember to read all questions properly and listen to the assessor. I found the computer tests hard with the joystick and remembering the traffic scenes. But managed to make it through so must have done something right.
Some of the tests are literally things you can’t really practice for as it is really just your personal aptitude to be able to focus for long periods of time and being to memorise. But it doesn’t hurt familiarising yourself with what the assessment consists of.
If you have any questions let me know.

Quin79

Good luck too! I was literally so anxious prior to the assessments, but honestly they weren’t as bad as it seems. Just remember to read all questions properly and listen to the assessor. I found the computer tests hard with the joystick and remembering the traffic scenes. But managed to make it through so must have done something right.
Some of the tests are literally things you can’t really practice for as it is really just your personal aptitude to be able to focus for long periods of time and being to memorise. But it doesn’t hurt familiarising yourself with what the assessment consists of.
If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks. I'm going to keep practising the Group Bourdon and try somehow to improve my short term memory skills, as it is that I think will be hardest test in listening to the passage and remembering the facts to then answer the questions once your notes are taken away. Also not looking forward to the counting tones as well as doing the directory work. In fact not looking forward to any of the tests to be fair haha.

Jimmy Jams!

I’ll be honest if you all, once you pass everything Assessments + DMI + MMI you will probably still have to wait a year or two before you get called up for a medical and start to training. With Southern it’s an exceptionally long drawn out process. They don’t have enough trainers so people who applied for positions in 2016 seem to just be getting called up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.