Southern Trains major disruption due to conductor rail problem near Clapham Jn 30/04

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by GodAtum, 30 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodAtum

GodAtum Established Member

The 0744 from East Croydon broke down just outside Clapham and we were all evacuated from the train. I think this was due to power supply problems. I think we ended up on battersea Rise so I walked the rest of the way to Clapham. I did ask the BTP if they would provide protection from the gangs lurking around. it'll be a first claiming compensation for "train evacuation"! I only got this train because I missed the 0739 and 0742 which seemd on time :(

Last edited: 30 Apr 2015
  2. carriageline

carriageline Established Member

Yep there's a displaced conrail causing hell of a lot of problems at the moment

3. Marklund

Marklund Member

4. embers25

embers25 Established Member

Victoria to East Croydon suspended both ways right now. A total of 3 trains from Vic to East Croydon have made it in the past 3 hours. The last Gat Exp to run (at 0815) took 2 hrs 59 mins to get to Gatwick....so not very Express!

5. GodAtum

According to RRT there have been few delays. I guess its not very accurate?

6. thelongestroad

thelongestroad Member

Sounds like understatement of the year! ;)

7. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

[​IMG]

The above train either terminated at Balham or hasn't arrived. That's a new route, or should that be service pattern, for the Gatwick Express.

Interestingly the below train is still delayed on route. Perhaps it's one of the trains that got evacuated.

[​IMG]

Had I traveled to Clapham Junction this morning I'd have been 30 minutes late and that was towards the start of the problems! Fortunately by chance I didn't.

8. Saint66

Saint66 Member

Quite a big operation evacuating some of these trains, involving Met Police, BTP, London Ambulance, London Fire Brigade and all the nescesary NR staff.

9. infobleep

One can actually check where the trains got to. The one to Balham got passed Stretham Common but not to Balham.

[​IMG]

The delayed service to Victoria even got passed Clapham Junction.

[​IMG]
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Whilst in a perfect world I wouldn't want these things to happen in the first place, it would be an interesting experience to be evacuated. At least I say that from the comfort of my desk. Do you have to leave all your belongs behind when this happens?

Thanks to all those involved in dealing with the issues today.

10. Bishopstone

Bishopstone Member

I was on the 07.22 Lewes-Victoria, and fairly lucky. After a ten minute wait outside Streatham Common, we advanced to Balham station and after a futher wait, the doors were released. The Conductor was announcing 60 minute delays, so I baled straight away for the Northern Line, which was surprisingly quiet for 08.45

11. stut

stut Established Member

Seriously?

12. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

Some people believe what they read in the tabloids...

13. talltim

talltim Established Member

Gangs of commuters evacuated from other trains looking for someone to take their anger out on....

14. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Established Member

Talking of accuracy, it's RTT! ;) It's quite odd today as the train in question (0744 from East Croydon to Victoria - 2L05) is shown as 2 late at Balham and then no further reports, whereas I thought it made it beyond Wandsworth Common. The biggest delay I have spotted yet today is 115 late for a Littlehampton to Victoria run. Also, the RTT message banner for cancelled/curtailed trains reads "...due to an obstruction of the overhead line (I3)."!

15. SansPareil

SansPareil Member

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W74146/2015/04/30/advanced

Thought this one might have got stuck between Clapham and Balham, and had another reversed at Balham in it's path as it's showing 177 late in some places, but looking at it again I think it probably made it through just before everything went belly up.

16. stut

stut Established Member

17. Via Bank

Via Bank Member

What shows on RTT depends entirely what's entered into the NR systems it hangs off. Garbage in, garbage out.

18. GodAtum

Any adive on getting back from Guildford? It doesnt look like tickets are valid via redhill on FGW.

19. infobleep

It's actually a TARDIS disguised as a train!
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Could you ask the guard on the train to Redhill if he will accept you? Unless someone else can tell me it's not a good idea.

20. stut

stut Established Member

Either that, or hop on a tram from Wimbledon - Southern site says they're accepting tickets.

21. mirodo

mirodo Member

They are according to http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/plan-your-journey/live-running-information/

22. GodAtum

Even if I get to Redhill I could face the same problem of having no train.

23. 221129

221129 Established Member

First Great Western will accept Southern tickets between Redhill and Guildford)

from Southern Railway/First Great Western.

24. mirodo

mirodo Member

Worse case scenario, you could get the TfL 405 bus from Redhill all the way to Croydon.

25. W230

W230 Established Member

And the same problem with gangs. Maybe ask BTP to drop you at home? Might be easiest... :lol:

26. RichardN

RichardN Member

Where do you need to get back to? Surely Redhill is not going to be the optimum solution for many places (except those where the ticket would be shortest route anyway) compared to going to Waterloo via SWT then onwards.

27. stut

stut Established Member

Actually, as well as Wimbledon/Tram, couldn't you do Guildford-Epsom-West Croydon quite easily too?

28. SansPareil

SansPareil Member

I've edited my post now! But they were reversing trains at Balham from platform 2, I ended up on the 0956 Balham to Dorking, which had the rather pleasing headcode of 2Z22 according to Realtime Trains. Between Balham and Streatham North Junction there was a train standing at every signal on the up fast, must have been 5 or 6 in total just in that short stretch.

Looks like at least one Milton Keynes-Croydon train ended up being diverted via Herne Hill

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W76557/2015/04/30/advanced

29. ushawk

ushawk Established Member

Bet some of the media are loving this - gives them another reason to bash the railways.

30. RichJF

RichJF Member

Just took a look at Opentraintime signalling VTB1 & it appears 5A17 (stuck in Clapham pl12 since this morning) has finally moved!!! It's just gone past Battersea Park.

The breakdown train has been moving around Pouparts recently & it may be this that has rescued 5A17!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.