• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern uniform (Drivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IKB

Bit of a niche market this one, so apologies to everyone else.

The drivers order sheet has to be sent back before you start. But it seems the uniform wearer guide is only provided when you get your uniform, so that doesn't help with ordering items.

The order sheet lists polo shirts and/or long & short sleeve shirts as core items. Is it a case of ordering what you would feel more comfortable in, or are there rules on wearing certain things at certain times? Theoretically the form allows me to order 7 polo shirts and avoid a shirt/tie altogether. Is that allowed?

Which is more practical - heavy weight or light weight jumper? Safety boots or safety shoes?

As for option extras such as thermal vests and leggings, suit jackets, ties, baseball caps, mittens - anything worth avoiding or must haves?

Do the sizes translate to everyday high street clothes? I don't want to end up a baggy mess.

Apologies for the slightly trivial nature of this thread, I just don't want to burn my points and end with stuff I will never need to wear. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
On GN we have the exact same uniform as southern so I may be able to help.

You can wear polos or shirts, up to you. No rules on what to wear when. If you only want polos then order just them, same if you only want shirts. Or order a mix. No requirement to have a shirt and tie.

The jumpers are booth itchy and horrible, the light weight one slightly less so as its got no sleeves. Many GN drivers wear their own fleeces or jumpers instead. But order whichever you think you'll use most, or simply order both

Boots or shoes-up to you. Boots give more ankle support but shoes may be more comfortable.

Vests and leggings are a bit overkill for a driver-more needed if standing on cold platforms all day. If you have any points left over perhaps order a hat or two...

The sizes bear no resemblance to anything. Infact they don't bear any resemblance to each other. Blindly tick various sizes and it'll be as likely to fit you as ordering the sizes you wear from shops! Polos come up way too small, jumpers far, far too big (2 regular size drivers fit into a single medium jumper). You'll have the opportunity to send back and request a change of ill-fitting uniform. Logic would suggest a large polo, large jumper and large jacket will all work together. In reality an XL polo may best match a small jumper and medium jacket.

Of course if any GTR managers had an ounce of common sense they would supply a fitting guide explains what S/M/L/XL/XXL actually means rather than leaving it to pure guesswork!

Last edited:

IKB

Thanks for the prompt reply. Sizes seem a bit of a lottery, I'll give it my best guess!

tsr

Established Member
Funnily enough I'd say the opposite about the sizing of the waterproof coats - though I agree they're good, everyone I know finds them way too large and baggy. It does seem to make them less "clingy" though, and that's a good thing. However, you'll find they are absolutely not breathable with a hi-vis over them, and don't make the mistake of wearing the fleece softshell if you're doing anything remotely active, as you'll boil alive.

Then as above, including...

Always wear boots not safety shoes, as it goes some way to help preventing you twist your ankle on ballast, as above. I also find "railway-spec" (and yes, that's important) ones to be quite comfortable, having had about 4 different pairs from different manufacturers in the last few years. Don't expect them to last very long if you're doing lots of walking, though.

Regarding accessories:
- Baseball caps themselves are fine, but as above the legionnaires' caps with the flaps are a bit daft. Platform staff do seem to like them more - fair enough!
- Ties - don't bother if you're not obliged to wear one (eg. wearing polo shirts / anyone not customer-facing most of the time) but if you do need them, get the clip-on ones.
- Gloves - bring your own - I use Sealskinz for waterproofs or police surplus leather gloves for something a little smarter, with a liner underneath. You may as well order a pair of mittens for emergencies, but they'll fall apart and, whilst fairly warm, are not smart or very practical.

Finally...
- Suit jackets - warm and possibly the best-fitting item once you find your size. Similar to M&S suit sizes if you have any experience of those. Obviously don't wear with a polo shirt. They provide a "pocket square" with jackets to apply branding, which is a cloth-covered piece of cardboard with the logo on it, to stick in the chest pocket. Contrary to common belief, if you take it out of the plastic and leave it there, it won't get too badly damaged so don't worry, even if it looks a touch naff.

Last edited:

BromleyBoi

The trousers tend to come up a waist size to small so when I started we were advised go a size bigger than you actually are.
Everything else that's been said I'd agree with really especially in it's a pot luck situation. You'll be lucky if it all turns up together. I'm still waiting for items from the original order back in May.

IKB

Thanks for the additional replies. All duly noted. I've circled my lottery numbers and will hope for the best!

Johncleesefan

Haha that's all you can do, my uniform is al ml over the place to the point my shirts are way too baggy but cant do the top button up, go large though everytime

Status
Not open for further replies.