Southern Unused Ticket Refund Feature

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Coolzac, 10 Aug 2018.

1. Coolzac

Coolzac Member

I am all for criticising rail companies for when they fail the travelling public, however as I am sure some of you are already aware they have an excellent feature which I used yesterday:

https://www.southernrailway.com/tickets/buy-tickets/money-back-guarantee

Basically, if you buy a 'walk up' ticket (e.g off-peak day return) with them online but then opt not to travel, you can have a refund as long as you haven't printed them off.

I think this is sensible and very useful. Doesn't make up for all their other failings, but even so, praise when it is due.

Do other TOC's have something similar?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. bubieyehyeh

bubieyehyeh Member

It used to be far simpler, if you failed to collect the tickets, it refunded your online purchase automatically, no need to request a refund. No longer the case

4. BluePenguin

BluePenguin Member

It is not a full refund as most of the time charge you a £10 admin fee. This is ground breaking stuff and Southern are the first I have heard of to do this

5. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

They are quite clear that a full refund applies, without an admin fee, when the ticket type is covered by the Money back guarantee. In my opinion that means that "most of the time" the fee will not be applied.

6. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

Southern have offered this for years, initially under the 'Rainy Day Guarantee' name, changing to the 'Money Back Guarantee' as now. The other GTR brands also now offer it.

For a while they also offered it on Southern's own Advance tickets (for travel entirely on Southern services), but this ended some time ago.

7. skifans

skifans Member

I'm sure someone else will be able to know the exact details but tpe to allow chances of advance tickets (date and time only) online without an admin fee. Their page at https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/help/refunds suggests the same system will also refund refundable tickets but I've only personally used it for the former.

8. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

Personally, I would always use the CrossCountry site instead. They also offer fee-free Advance changes - but whereas TPE have to send out the changed Advance (well, an excess) by post (thus meaning you have to change it at least 2-3 days in advance of travel), CrossCountry support ticket collection, e-tickets or m-tickets, as they simply give you a refund on the old Advance after you buy the new ticket (which doesn't need to be an Advance either). So you can change the Advance anytime before travel, even if you've already picked up paper tickets. The only issue is that sometimes the CrossCountry site simply won't show your purchase history correctly, missing out transactions for some reason.

9. skifans

skifans Member

Yeah, I agree with you that Cross Countrys policy is more favourable, for me personally though as a 16-25 railcard holder I get a greater discount (50% vs 33%) is I book through TPE's own website, and just the routes I tend to travel mean I most frequently find myself on their trains.

10. gray1404

gray1404 Established Member

I am assuming the Cross Country that if you have picked up the advance tickets already they require you to post them back before they will refund you?

11. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

Yes, but at least they give you the option to do so, rather than TPE who insist on posting out an excess.