• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern/Virgin cashback on TopCashBack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trevmonk

I have just received cashback from Quidco for the last Southern offer. Last time they were offering a flat £2.50 per booking, which was good on my £4.60 tickets! Later they changed it to 6% which was still generous compared to the other companies. I had my doubts whether they would pay up but every transaction has now been paid at the agreed rate.

MKB

Cheers for that. I'd gone back to booking on Virgin via Quidco since South West disappeared off there. Just booked my tickets to Liverpool tomorrow and this has earned me £1.35. Small, but these amounts add up. On Quidco, I've earned over £2,000 so far. :D

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My impression of Southern on cashback is very good. All transactions tracked last time, even if the ticket cost less than £2.50. Although it took a long time, all cashback were paid eventually.

MKB

Last time Southern was up, didn't it apply only to journeys on Southern? That restriction isn't there now. If the new conditions are a mistake, they better honour them!

Current terms for reference:

"Please note, cashback is paid per completed basket (booking), not per ticket. Cashback is only valid for Anytime, Off Peak and Advance tickets bought via southernrailway.com and excludes weekly, monthly and annual season tickets."

I'm assuming that "Off Peak" here means any of the different types of off-peak tickets, however branded, such as Off-Peak Day, Super Off-Peak, Cheap Day, etc.?

trevmonk

Last time Southern was up, didn't it apply only to journeys on Southern? That restriction isn't there now. If the new conditions are a mistake, they better honour them!

Current terms for reference:

"Please note, cashback is paid per completed basket (booking), not per ticket. Cashback is only valid for Anytime, Off Peak and Advance tickets bought via southernrailway.com and excludes weekly, monthly and annual season tickets."

I'm assuming that "Off Peak" here means any of the different types of off-peak tickets, however branded, such as Off-Peak Day, Super Off-Peak, Cheap Day, etc.?

No, last time they were also paying cashback on journeys with other operators. I didn't travel on Southern at all but was booking via their site and picking the tickets up from my local station. I used Anytime, Off Peak Day and Super Off Peak, all of which tracked for cashback.

MatreDee

Anyone new to Topcashback should signup through NoBrainers UK - You'll get an additional £5 sign up bonus that way. ;)

rail-britain

Established Member
Last time Southern was up, didn't it apply only to journeys on Southern?
I have today received a notice from Southern that they are now only paying 6% commission for tickets wholly within Southern to their affiliates (which includes topcashback.co.uk)
Any and all other ticket types are excluded, and will not receive any commission, this includes Gatwick Express

pemma

Veteran Member
I have today received a notice from Southern that they are now only paying 6% commission for tickets wholly within Southern to their affiliates (which includes topcashback.co.uk)
Any and all other ticket types are excluded, and will not receive any commission, this includes Gatwick Express

Excluded altogether or like TPE's commission where there's one rate for TPE tickets and a lower rate for non-TPE tickets?

Gatwick Express have always been listed separately to Southern.

rail-britain

Established Member
Excluded altogether or like TPE's commission where there's one rate for TPE tickets and a lower rate for non-TPE tickets?
No it is a complete exclusion
6% on Southern services (originating and destination stations only)
0% on all other types

"Southern Railways only pays out on tickets within the Southern network on the affiliate program"

Bill Badger

That's a shame, as I use Southern for all my advance tickets because of the discount. Will go back to SWT who offer 2.6% on all sales.

There's nothing about this on the Topcashback site. Do you know the date the change was introduced and if it is being applied retrospectively?

Cheers

MKB

Terms and conditions on Quidco haven't yet changed.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
That's a shame, as I use Southern for all my advance tickets because of the discount. Will go back to SWT who offer 2.6% on all sales.

There's nothing about this on the Topcashback site. Do you know the date the change was introduced and if it is being applied retrospectively?

Cheers

Not yet implemented. I have some purchases from yesterday (Tuesday) still tracked at 6% from Southern. The routing on the tickets were "XC & Connections".

rail-britain

Established Member
Do you know the date the change was introduced and if it is being applied retrospectively?
It was an error in the contract between Southern and their provider
Applies from Monday 25 June 2012

I only noticed it a few days ago when some commissions were showing as £0.00
No doubt the cash back providers will also notice shortly and update their terms in due course

radamfi

Established Member
I bought an Anytime Day Return from Three Bridges (Southern) to Brookwood (SWT) for £18 yesterday morning and it has tracked with £1.09 cashback. Fare set by SWT.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, I have got cashback off Super Off-Peak Day Travelcards.

Last edited:

MKD

Rotten news if implemented by the £back sites - no sign yet - as had loads of £back off TCB for Southern site bookings.

Even without the %, one BONUS of ordering non-Southern TOD tickets (except Advance tickets of course) is their Money Back Guarantee for non-collected tickets - eg no £10 refund "admin" fee as there is with London Midland - though Southern's admin on what was called Rainyday guarantee has gone to pot this year - taken 4-6wks & several interventions to get some refunds through, but all have come through in the end.
MKD

radamfi

Established Member
though Southern's admin on what was called Rainyday guarantee has gone to pot this year - taken 4-6wks & several interventions to get some refunds through, but all have come through in the end.
MKD

I don't see why there has to be such a tedious administrative process to go through. Surely it is easier all round if they just cancelled the booking and the payment card is automatically refunded?

Brucey

rail-britain, do you use Tradedoubler? I can't see any mention of Southern only on my account. It just says "Commission:6% per sale on a 30 day cookie."

I understand the cashback sites also use Tradedoubler as the affiliate network.

rail-britain

Established Member
rail-britain, do you use Tradedoubler? I can't see any mention of Southern only on my account. It just says "Commission:6% per sale on a 30 day cookie."
Send the program manager, Jo Bargioni, an email requesting clarification :
What rate is paid when a customer visits Southern Railway, and purchases a ticket for travel on other ticket types?

As above, I noticed some of the pending transactions had changed to confirmed with £0.00 commission
Clearly they have overlooked the two tier commissions that other operators offers (such as FTPE, Virgin Trains, and EMT)

Sadly all Tradedoubler suggested was to use thetrainline.com but they had recently asked why I had removed the advert and the subsequent vast reducion in impressions
This is only 1.50% and many people are now wise to the "additional" fees that thetrainline.com apply

radamfi

Established Member

When will this restriction begin?

I'm still offered 6.06% cashback via TopCashback for non-Southern tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.