• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southgate temporarily renamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstock7080

Established Member
World Cup 2018: Tube station named Gareth Southgate http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44844999

A London Underground station has been temporarily named after England's football manager.
Southgate Tube station was rebranded Gareth Southgate station from Monday morning for 48 hours, after the squad finished fourth in the World Cup.

It was England's best result since 1990 when they also lost in the semi-final.

"We're delighted to be able to show our appreciation to Gareth and the team by renaming the station in his honour," Transport for London (TfL) said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lockwood

Hopefully just a quick patch job?
Though I could imagine TfL doing a huge thing for this, with "The next station is" announcements being updated and everything

NSEFAN

Established Member
Though I could imagine TfL doing a huge thing for this, with "The next station is" announcements being updated and everything
The announcements haven't been updated on the trains. Most roundels on the platform side in each direction (and the roundel outside the station) have had temporary stickers applied. There's also a periodic, recorded announcment every now and then explaining why this has been done.

bluegoblin7

Established Member

As with all temporary rebrandings (Canada Water to Buxton Water, Westminster to Webminster) only signage on or about the station has been altered. It will be in place for approximately 48 hours (i.e. the Monday 16/Tuesday 17 July traffic days) and has been sponsored by VISA at no cost to TfL. Let's not give them any huge credit beyond allowing it to go ahead.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
An easy win for TfL, I can't think of any other England manager whose name coincides with that of a station!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Oh well, at least we won't have to put up with Arsenal Wenger station. Cockfosters is probably safe too!

Status
Not open for further replies.