• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southport Day Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Going to have a day out by train in Southport this weekend - all being well!

Anyone recommend things to do?
Where is the station in relation to seafront / town?
Any good chippies / pubs?

Are the trains from Manchester likely to be heaving on a Summer Saturday morning (out) / evening (home)? I can't reserve on Northern can?

Thanks in adavnace of your help everyone :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Going to have a day out by train in Southport this weekend - all being well!

Anyone recommend things to do?
Where is the station in relation to seafront / town?
Any good chippies / pubs?

Are the trains from Manchester likely to be heaving on a Summer Saturday morning (out) / evening (home)? I can't reserve on Northern can?

Thanks in adavnace of your help everyone :D

The pier is worth seeing ( 2nd longest in UK?). I seem to recall that the station was some distance from the seafront. Lord Street is your main shopping area. Didn't stop at any pubs. Did go to a decent chippie (can't remember its name). If I go to a seaside resort, I make a point of eating fish and chips, rather than going to a pub (if possible). Others with more local knowledge will fill in the missing gaps. You'll like Southport though.

WestCoast

Established Member
Station is about a 10 mins walk to the seafront. The main shopping street is Lord Street (5 mins walk from station) and that's worth walking down even if you're not shopping, especially the Wayfarer's Arcade.

The pier is a good attraction, it is indeed the 2nd longest in the UK. There's a (modern) tram on the pier as well. Make sure you go to the end as there's a great 'traditional' arcade and cafe there, the arcade has older style machines like the 'great tram race' and you pay in old pennies which you get from a machine. Fun even for big kids.

Marine Lake is nice and you can take a trip on a paddle steamer. There's a Model Railway Village, a large scale miniature railway and also the British Lawnmower Museum...;)

A great chippy is opposite the pier entrance and is called the Sandgrounder, it's won lots of awards and is very good value. Don't go to Silcock's if possible.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

No you can't reserve a seat on Northern, plus that service is often a Pacer as well. Due to it being a summer Saturday seaside train, it could well be busy (especially from Wigan onwards). However, a lot depends on the weather really.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Is Pleasureland still operational ?

"New Pleasurland", see:

http://southportfunfair.co.uk/

Plenty of chippies in Southport, but mostly not in Lord St.
For example, turn left outside station. Go to end of road; turn left and there is chippy within 100 yards, or cross road to McDonalds.
Or, turn right outside main station entrance, almost immediately turn left. Continue on this road across Lord St and the road leads to the pier, passing a couple of chippies.

Advice - use toilets on station before going into town. Council has closed all (or most of) the free "loos", leaving just a handful of pay to enter "portaloo" types.

Status
Not open for further replies.