• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southport to Chester via Man Picc services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loop Line

Has this service been abolished? I can't seem to find it on NatRail or any other booking sites.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
There did used to be Any Permitted fares but I think they were withdrawn after Merseyrail did a £2 promotional fare between any two points on the Merseyrail network on selected Sundays and guess what happened? Yes Southport to Chester Route:Any Permitted was available for £2.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you want to do the whole journey on a Northern 150 it looks like the best option for ticketing is to split at Delamere.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The regular weekday hourly Southport-Chester service ended in May 1998.

The 2-hourly Sunday service was introduced in December 2008 - prior to this, mid-Cheshire line services did not operate north of Altrincham on Sundays, I believe as GMPTE did not provide funding.

pemma

Veteran Member
The 2-hourly Sunday service was introduced in December 2008 - prior to this, mid-Cheshire line services did not operate north of Altrincham on Sundays, I believe as GMPTE did not provide funding.

GMPTE were funding Sunday Altrincham-Manchester services but in the early 1990s they suffered a funding shortfall as a result of funding Metrolink so decided to stop funding Sunday Altrincham-Manchester in 1992 and arranged for rail tickets to be accepted on Metrolink services on Sundays only.

In 2008 Northern decided it was financially viable to enhance Sunday services on the Mid-Cheshire line despite not getting any funding from TfGM or the Cheshire councils unlike the Atherton, Hazel Grove and Stoke lines. According to MCRUA Sunday passenger numbers increased by 400% as a result of a 2 hourly Chester-Stockport-Southport service being run instead of a 3 hourly Chester-Altrincham service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kite159

Veteran Member
GMPTE were funding Sunday Altrincham-Manchester services but in the early 1990s they suffered a funding shortfall as a result of funding Metrolink so decided to stop funding Sunday Altrincham-Manchester in 1992 and arranged for rail tickets to be accepted on Metrolink services on Sundays only.

In 2008 Northern decided it was financially viable to enhance Sunday services on the Mid-Cheshire line despite not getting any funding from TfGM or the Cheshire councils unlike the Atherton, Hazel Grove and Stoke lines. According to MCRUA Sunday passenger numbers increased by 400% as a result of a 2 hourly Chester-Stockport-Southport service being run instead of a 3 hourly Chester-Altrincham service.

Makes me wonder how much more Sunday passenger numbers will increase if it increases to hourly

Status
Not open for further replies.