• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southport to Luton (with overnight break at Sheffield)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave4jackie

is it possible to get a return from southport to luton not via london and stay overnight in sheffield on the way there

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Yes.

here is the fare's restriction code and this text appears in the left-hand column:

OVERNIGHT BREAK OF JOURNEY
Restarting journey from an
intermediate station.
Outward (on day 2): outward
morning restrictions as above
apply from/via the stations
shown above (Mon-Fri) and
journey must recommence before
12:00 (all days).
Recommencing from any other
station en route that is north
of the stations shown above
must be on trains timed to
depart 09:30-11:59 inc. (by
any train before 12:00 on BH
and other days).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Only if the journey cannot be completed on the first day, according to revised rules from October 2011.

Travel may recommence at any time on the second day, and time restrictions relevant to the restriction code apply if it is a weekday. Travel does not have to recommence by 1200 but all travel must be completed by 0429 on the third day.

dave4jackie

Only if the journey cannot be completed on the first day, according to revised rules from October 2011.

Travel may recommence at any time on the second day, and time restrictions relevant to the restriction code apply if it is a weekday. Travel does not have to recommence by 1200 but all travel must be completed by 0429 on the third day.

how would they know if someone left at 9am or 9pm

kieron

Established Member
It can't be in this instance, as dave4jackie is staying in Sheffield until after the last train south leaves. A break of journey is permitted in both directions on the ticket mentioned.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It can't be in this instance, as dave4jackie is staying in Sheffield until after the last train south leaves.

This is not the same as "if the journey cannot be completed on the first day" though, is it, as he chose to stop-over in Sheffield? This used to be permissible under the old rules. Under the new rules, it is less clear from the wordings.

I will just say that some things in railway ticketing are enforceable and some not. I will leave it at that.

kieron

Established Member
This is not the same as "if the journey cannot be completed on the first day" though, is it, as he chose to stop-over in Sheffield?
Have you had some guidance on what is an acceptable reason for not being able to complete a journey in one day on a ticket which allows break of journey?

If not, dave4jackie's reason (whatever it is) is as good as any.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, I have.

I don't think the OP needs to worry about being questioned on the second day of travel, although the official wording appears more restrictive in terms of overnight break of journey compared to the previous version of the rules, and this will remain the official line from ATOC.

I will refer you back to the final statement of my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.