Southwark & Waterloo East

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by chrisg, 10 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisg

chrisg Member

Hi all,

Anybody know if I'm able to get through to Waterloo station via entering Southwark LUL and then via Waterloo East? I'm using Oyster PAYG. :)

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Mike395

Mike395 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes, but in all cases, it will cost you more than just walking to Waterloo.

If you're just using it to walk through I would have thought (although I'm not 100% sure, someone with more knowledge of how the Oyster computer systems work will be able to confirm) it will charge you a Zone 1 Tube + NR fare - Southwark to Waterloo East - as if you took the tube to Charing X and got a train from there. :)

If using Oyster to continue your journey from Waterloo, I'm not sure what the situation would be :)

4. island

island Established Member

I think if you are just walking through it will charge you 40p. If you continue your journey from Waterloo, I think that 40p will be used towards your fare. If you have a Travelcard covering zone 1 on your Oyster, it is free.

5. causton

causton Established Member

Don't forget you will touch out of Southwark and then touch back in at Waterloo East (there are 2 gatelines literally 5 metres apart, one LUL-manned, one SE-manned)... but I don't know if the readers at the other end will touch back out if you touch them after walking through the station? If so it should charge you nothing if you spend longer than 5 minutes in each station IIRC!

6. Mike395

7. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

I don't agree. My experience is that it is charged at £0.00 if (and only if) it is done at a time which links to another journey on that card as an Out of Station Interchange (OSI) at either Southwark or Waterloo East (or both).

I recently did this and my journey history for that day is:
    For all you ever wanted to know about Oyster, see MikeWh's excellent site at oyster-rail.org.uk.

8. Mike395

Ah yes, that makes sense now - thanks for clarifying this John :) (I assume this would apply at Waterloo NR too? I assume they OP will have to touch out at Waterloo East's validator on the bridge? :) )

(And yes, oyster-rail.org.uk is a great resource for all things Oyster :D )

9. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

There is no charge for walking through Southwark to get to Waterloo East. I don't know whether there is a charge for walking through Waterloo East to get to Waterloo. I would suspect that there might be because it comes under the same station exit rules (which I must put on my site sometime soon). This states that if you leave a station between 2 and 30 minutes after entering you will be charged the cheapest single fare from that station at the time of touch in. In Waterloo East's case that is £1.50 or £2.00, and counts towards the cap for the day. Of course, Waterloo East to Waterloo is an OSI, so it might end up refunding you if you then make a journey.

This seems like a feature to try one day when I will end up capping anyway.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Bear in mind that the concession at Southwark is to allow access to Waterloo East without going all the way round to the main entrance. You probably aren't saving anything if you walk through to Waterloo compared to walking round the street.

10. chrisg

chrisg Member

Thanks for the info - I'll be sure to note what happens when I go through later! :D

11. dcd

dcd Member

I received the following after complaining about being charged for walking from Southwark through Waterloo East to Waterloo:

12. island

island Established Member

WAE doesn't have a CTA, however!

13. MikeWh

Thanks for clearing that up. Did you further use Oyster out of Waterloo, or was it then a paper ticket?

14. dcd

dcd Member

It was a paper ticket Off peak return from Winchester

15. MikeWh

Thanks. Still need to try it making a journey from Waterloo on Oyster then.

16. chrisg

chrisg Member

I did get charged £2 upon leaving Waterloo East having entered via Southwark - its interesting that you need a valid ticket to enter via WE via Southwark, but not from Waterloo mainline. Anyhow, that £2 was (I believe), used towards to the cost of my Northern line journey from Waterloo mainline. :)

17. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

That response is form TfL though - so they've just trotted out the standard LU reply...

18. MikeWh

It would be interesting if you could confirm what happened from your journey history or a statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.