• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southwark & Waterloo East

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisg

Hi all,

Anybody know if I'm able to get through to Waterloo station via entering Southwark LUL and then via Waterloo East? I'm using Oyster PAYG. :)

Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, but in all cases, it will cost you more than just walking to Waterloo.

If you're just using it to walk through I would have thought (although I'm not 100% sure, someone with more knowledge of how the Oyster computer systems work will be able to confirm) it will charge you a Zone 1 Tube + NR fare - Southwark to Waterloo East - as if you took the tube to Charing X and got a train from there. :)

If using Oyster to continue your journey from Waterloo, I'm not sure what the situation would be :)

island

Veteran Member
I think if you are just walking through it will charge you 40p. If you continue your journey from Waterloo, I think that 40p will be used towards your fare. If you have a Travelcard covering zone 1 on your Oyster, it is free.

causton

Established Member
Don't forget you will touch out of Southwark and then touch back in at Waterloo East (there are 2 gatelines literally 5 metres apart, one LUL-manned, one SE-manned)... but I don't know if the readers at the other end will touch back out if you touch them after walking through the station? If so it should charge you nothing if you spend longer than 5 minutes in each station IIRC!

John @ home

Established Member
Yes, but in all cases, it will cost you more than just walking to Waterloo.
I don't agree. My experience is that it is charged at £0.00 if (and only if) it is done at a time which links to another journey on that card as an Out of Station Interchange (OSI) at either Southwark or Waterloo East (or both).

I recently did this and my journey history for that day is:
12:38 Bus journey, route 56 £1.30 Balance £17.20
12:49 Bus journey, route 100 £1.30 Balance £15.90
12:57 - 12:59 Southwark to Southwark £0.00 Balance £15.90 [Note 1]
13:00 - 13:28 Waterloo East [National Rail] to East Croydon [National Rail] £2.60 Balance £13.30
13:50 - 14:23 East Croydon [National Rail] to London Bridge [National Rail] £2.60 Balance £10.70
14:53 Bus journey, route 17 £0.20 Balance £10.50 [Note 2]
17:45 Bus journey, route 17 £0.00 Balance £10.50 [Note 2]

Note 1 - You have not been charged for this journey as it is viewed as a continuation of your previous journey
Note 2 - The fare for this journey was capped as you reached the daily charging limit for the zones used
For all you ever wanted to know about Oyster, see MikeWh's excellent site at oyster-rail.org.uk.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't agree. My experience is that it is charged at £0.00 if (and only if) it is done at a time which links to another journey on that card as an Out of Station Interchange (OSI) at either Southwark or Waterloo East (or both).

I recently did this and my journey history for that day is:
For all you ever wanted to know about Oyster, see MikeWh's excellent site at oyster-rail.org.uk.

Ah yes, that makes sense now - thanks for clarifying this John :) (I assume this would apply at Waterloo NR too? I assume they OP will have to touch out at Waterloo East's validator on the bridge? :) )

(And yes, oyster-rail.org.uk is a great resource for all things Oyster :D )

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is no charge for walking through Southwark to get to Waterloo East. I don't know whether there is a charge for walking through Waterloo East to get to Waterloo. I would suspect that there might be because it comes under the same station exit rules (which I must put on my site sometime soon). This states that if you leave a station between 2 and 30 minutes after entering you will be charged the cheapest single fare from that station at the time of touch in. In Waterloo East's case that is £1.50 or £2.00, and counts towards the cap for the day. Of course, Waterloo East to Waterloo is an OSI, so it might end up refunding you if you then make a journey.

This seems like a feature to try one day when I will end up capping anyway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bear in mind that the concession at Southwark is to allow access to Waterloo East without going all the way round to the main entrance. You probably aren't saving anything if you walk through to Waterloo compared to walking round the street.

chrisg

Thanks for the info - I'll be sure to note what happens when I go through later! :D

dcd

I received the following after complaining about being charged for walking from Southwark through Waterloo East to Waterloo:

Thank you for contacting us about being charged at Waterloo East station, even though you passed along the platform without travelling.

Passengers can indeed be legitimately charged if they touch in and out of the same station without travelling, as platforms are a compulsory ticket area. The charge is equivalent to the minimum fare possible from the station and works like a platform ticket. It also counts towards the daily price cap hence, on this occasion, why you were only charged 40p.

Further information about platform tickets is available in the Transport for London (TfL) Conditions of Carriage (Section 7.2.3 on p23), available on our website at: www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/899.aspx.

You can avoid a charge if you hold a season ticket on your Oyster card, which is valid for the zone you are in. It can also be refunded if you had intended to travel but were unable to do so eg: severe delays or cancellations, either through the relevant passenger charter or by contacting us within 28 days of the affected journey.

If you need any further assistance, please contact us again.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I received the following after complaining about being charged for walking from Southwark through Waterloo East to Waterloo:

Thanks for clearing that up. Did you further use Oyster out of Waterloo, or was it then a paper ticket?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks. Still need to try it making a journey from Waterloo on Oyster then.

chrisg

I did get charged £2 upon leaving Waterloo East having entered via Southwark - its interesting that you need a valid ticket to enter via WE via Southwark, but not from Waterloo mainline. Anyhow, that £2 was (I believe), used towards to the cost of my Northern line journey from Waterloo mainline. :)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I did get charged £2 upon leaving Waterloo East having entered via Southwark - its interesting that you need a valid ticket to enter via WE via Southwark, but not from Waterloo mainline. Anyhow, that £2 was (I believe), used towards to the cost of my Northern line journey from Waterloo mainline. :)

It would be interesting if you could confirm what happened from your journey history or a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.