• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southwest or Greater Anglia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scally

Hi guys,

Just looking for your opinions on whether Southwest trains or Greater Anglia would be the better company to work for and why.

What are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reapz

Hi guys,

Just looking for your opinions on whether Southwest trains or Greater Anglia would be the better company to work for and why.

What are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

put in for both see how far u get with them then ask yourself this question if u are offerd 2 jobs

The Colonel

Depends on where you live - SWT have a rule that you must be within 45 mins travelling distance of your home station/depot. I assume you're in/near London to be considering both? Could be a problem if you live in Chelmsford and want to work in Southampton ;)

scally

Yes fella, I live in London.

Am thinking of applying for both. I know I'm thinking way ahead but if I was lucky enough to pass both assessments I'd be unsure which would be the better company to work for.

Especially when it comes down to shift pattern, salary etc.

mindthedoors

I would no doubt apply for both. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to getting a job as a train driver. From my brief experience with Greater Anglia so far, they seem to have a great training base set up in Stratford. However, the vacancy would be for the west Anglia side, which means you maybe located for training at Hornsey. Greater Anglia are more likely to take on inexperienced drivers as well, not sure about south-west trains.

O L Leigh

Established Member
West Anglia drivers go to Stratford Academy too.

If it's a West Anglia depot (Bishops Stortford, Cambridge or Chingford) you will immediately go onto the mainline. Great Eastern metro depots (Ilford, Gidea Park, Southend Vic) may have you as a depot driver first which will see you on a lower rate of pay and restricted to shunting and washing trains in the yard.

On the West Anglia side you can expect to do a mix of inner-suburban work together with Stansted Express and Cambridges. Cambridge depot go further down the line to Kings Lynn. The current pay is a smidge over £39k pa but you won't go onto this rate until you've qualified and done 1 year's productive work. It's a nice simple route with very few pitfalls so a good place to start. It's all driver-only operation with just a single roster, so you will do a bit of everything.

HTH

O L Leigh

theking

West Anglia drivers go to Stratford Academy too.

If it's a West Anglia depot (Bishops Stortford, Cambridge or Chingford) you will immediately go onto the mainline. Great Eastern metro depots (Ilford, Gidea Park, Southend Vic) may have you as a depot driver first which will see you on a lower rate of pay and restricted to shunting and washing trains in the yard.

On the West Anglia side you can expect to do a mix of inner-suburban work together with Stansted Express and Cambridges. Cambridge depot go further down the line to Kings Lynn. The current pay is a smidge over £39k pa but you won't go onto this rate until you've qualified and done 1 year's productive work. It's a nice simple route with very few pitfalls so a good place to start. It's all driver-only operation with just a single roster, so you will do a bit of everything.

HTH

O L Leigh

Thank you this is just the kind of information I was looking for, don't suppose you have any about the assessments they do like scaat or gb etc?

shirleyd286

Quick question for any GA employee's, do GA have drivers stationed at Kings Lynn or is it strictly Cambridge with people starting in the mornings from Lynn on the commuter runs? Have my application into GA as FCC are taking AGES...Thanks in advance! Shirl:D

robby p

No I'm afraid all GA services to Kings Lynn are covered by Cambridge depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.