• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southwestern depot and stabling alterations

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't know why they didn't bite the bullet and go for something bigger and completely close Staines and Strawberry Hill depots.
Perhaps they had an eye on the probable level of objections to even more reuse of the site at Feltham. They seem to be using the ‘top half’, if it was extending much further to the south they’d have to remove far more trees and shrubs acting as a buffer between the site and housing. But at the same time Staines isn’t a very large facility, it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to include that capacity. Strawberry Hill is more of a proper depot isn’t it, with full size sheds and stuff?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just checked and the Feltham Depot plans were approved by Hounslow planning dept on 1 Mar 2019.
Planning reference 00553/F/PA3, as per previous page.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Woking up yard goes live imminently reading through the latest WONs

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Woking up yard goes live imminently reading through the latest WONs
Does it look like it is this location in RTT, “Woking Up C.H.S.” - it appears to be used from Mon 20th, but only 3 services? Does that fit with earlier descriptions of the siding lengths, it was four sidings in the Network Change Notice I found, but I guess they’d want some flexibility as well?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/XGF/2019/05/20/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there any visible activity at the Feltham depot site yet? It's a good few weeks since I was along that route...

hwl

Established Member
Is there any visible activity at the Feltham depot site yet? It's a good few weeks since I was along that route...
Marking out and devegitation was done before the nesting season which should allow sensible progress once a contractor is appointed.

Fossiebear

Does it look like it is this location in RTT, “Woking Up C.H.S.” - it appears to be used from Mon 20th, but only 3 services? Does that fit with earlier descriptions of the siding lengths, it was four sidings in the Network Change Notice I found, but I guess they’d want some flexibility as well?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/XGF/2019/05/20/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Woking has been in use for the last couple of weeks, usually 2 x 12 car 450s in there when I pass @ 0700 weekdays

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Woking has been in use for the last couple of weeks, usually 2 x 12 car 450s in there when I pass @ 0700 weekdays
Thanks, yes that fits with realtimetrains, it suggests that the first of three trains will have already left at 0633.

Welcome to the forums as well.

Bookd

There may be an old thread about this, as I understand that SWR are planning a new train depot at Feltham - work was meant to start earlier this year. I notice that road signs have appeared directing Feltham Depot Construction traffic, so it seems that building is now starting.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Work has also started at Fratton, with walking routes being constructed towards the East End junction.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Work has also started at Fratton, with walking routes being constructed towards the East End junction.
Did anything ever come of the rumours about the Fratton fuel point? A couple of years ago someone suggested it was slated for closure, but it’s also been posted since that the staff were being trained on 165/166...

pompeyfan

Established Member
As far as I’m aware the fuel point isn’t going anywhere but someone might know different. I understand that all 3 roads where the banana terminal was are to be juiced and a shunters cabin to be removed so that a switch can be put in just east of the wash and connect everything up.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As far as I’m aware the fuel point isn’t going anywhere but someone might know different. I understand that all 3 roads where the banana terminal was are to be juiced and a shunters cabin to be removed so that a switch can be put in just east of the wash and connect everything up.
Would that maybe make the new sidings accessible from both ends then?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Would that maybe make the new sidings accessible from both ends then?

Yes I believe that’s the intention, I think at least one, if not more roads are to gain CET equipment too. it causes issues trying to tank the GWR units as well as all the SWR units, with multiple shunts having to be done throughout the night.

Socanxdis

Noticed a lot of construction work has started at the site of the old steam shed near Feltham station. Is this going to a depot for stabling the new trains only or a proper train crew depot? Will SWR close Strawberry Hill or Staines?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The “transport assessment” for Feltham depot refers to a maximum of 20 “drivers and guards” being present. I suppose guards numbers depends on exactly where the relevant trains enter and leave passenger service?

hwl

Established Member
The “transport assessment” for Feltham depot refers to a maximum of 20 “drivers and guards” being present. I suppose guards numbers depends on exactly where the relevant trains enter and leave passenger service?
Space for 10x 10car units there so looks like someone did a fairly simple calculation!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I see that work has at last started on the new depot to house the 701 fleet. It's a very large site, on the site of the old marshalling yard.

Does anyone know what the timescale for completion is?

Status
Not open for further replies.