Southwick (Brighton) to London : Railcard?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by tanyalbeck, 22 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanyalbeck

tanyalbeck Member

Hi,
    I just booked a ticket via southernrail (using quidco!) and got a £16.60 open return from Southwick to London terminals for one adult and two kids using my F&F railcard. I will be leaving on 28/10/11 and returning 30/10/11.

However, I just realised my railcard expires on the 28th!! This makes it valid on the day of outbound travel but not return. Do I need to buy another railcard? And if so, can I wait til the 26th to do it, when a discount code I found becomes valid? Will a printout do as 'proof of purchase?'

If anyone knows of any currently valid discounts about 10% please let me know!!!

Thanks so much, all advice is much appreciated.
    Tanya

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. mikeg

mikeg Member

Yes, before you make your return journey.

I see no reason why not.

Ah... I wasnt thinking, it'll take time to post. Proof of purchase is not enough, so no, your tickets will be invalid unless you have the actual ralicard there with them. Please note that you will get a penalty fare if you travel on Southern with a discounted ticket and no appropriate railcard.

I'm not sure, if there are any other members of the forum will probably be able to help you.

4. scotsman

scotsman Established Member

You don't have much to time to order the railcard and have it delivered, it's not worth risking a penalty fare to save £2.80 when it might not be delivered in time. I suggest you buy the railcard from a station instead.

If you had more time save10 usually (used to?) works for buying online

5. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

Yes.
    You can wait until 26th to buy the new Railcard, but you must have the actual Railcard with you when you travel on 30th. (You're OK for the outward journey on 28th with your current Railcard.) Proof of purchase of the Railcard won't do. A substantial proportion of the people who raise individual problems on this forum are people with Railcard discounted tickets without a valid Railcard.

The Rules state that they are charged either a Penalty Fare, or the full fare for their journey giving no credit for the Railcard discounted tickets held.

Buying the Railcard online on the 26th may mean it's delivered on time to the address you will be at on Saturday 29th. But it's taking an unnecessary risk.

You may wish to consider buying the 3-year £65 Railcard now (22nd) online, quoting the address you will be at on Saturday 29th.

6. firespire

firespire Member

If you are talking about this offer - http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/londonmidland I think there is a mistake mentioning 25%, earlier in the year they did a promotion (now expired) with the code LONMID25 to get a 25% discount, the code given there and the £25.20 price looks like that offer will only be 10% and they haven't updated all parts of the page.

The Family10 code for 10% off a one year railcard seems to still be working.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  7. tanyalbeck

tanyalbeck Member

Thanks so much!! I think I'll just go ahead and buy one at the station the day of my return journey so I'll have separate railcards valid for the way there and the way back.

On a slightly different note for next time: I can get my kids' tickets for £1 each on Southern for the whole journey each way (I think!!) if I buy it at the station and not online. Yet I cannot use my F&F railcard online to just book my adult ticket even though I still plan to travel with children!! Is there any way to book online with the railcard for my discount and just buy the kids' ones for a quid?!

Tanya:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.