• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spa Valley Railway Diesel Gala

Status
Not open for further replies.

SECR263

Went to above last Friday.

Managed first ride behind a Warship and a 27.

Various beers on one train (Green Train all Mk1's) and at Enridge and Groombridge Stns. Plus cider for the cider types, lots) Harvey's at Enridge.

Good brochure.

The best way to ride the trains is to leave TWW and go to Groombridge and detrain and get the Enridge back to TWA. The hot food stall was geared up to sell burgers, bangers, to all, in the two minutes station stop at Groombridge.

The only two problems, one was the guard on the Green train who seemed to be in H&S mode. Don't stick your head out windows, don't open doors before stopping, hallo children etc !!!. He was right about heads out on network rail side however. Also TWW had no beer or any alcoholic drinks in the Restaurant car which is a pity as the lay over is somewhat long and would encourage some to go to Sainsbury's for a tipple.

Riding the SR Bogie brake van is a real plus for something different on a preserved railway.

All in all a very good day, an attractive ticket price (£20). good beer and slick operating on turn rounds at TWW plus unusual motive power.

I can recommend visit to the next beer festival etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
The only two problems, one was the guard on the Green train who seemed to be in H&S mode. Don't stick your head out windows, don't open doors before stopping, hallo children etc !!!.

You do realise Southern were recently fined a million quid following a death caused by someone leaning out of a window? Heritage railways can't ignore RAIB reports and recommendations, they have to enforce rules on that now.

Peter C

Established Member
You do realise Southern were recently fined a million quid following a death caused by someone leaning out of a window? Heritage railways can't ignore RAIB reports and recommendations, they have to enforce rules on that now.
That's strange - I went to the GWSR Diesel Gala a couple of weeks ago and the guard on one of the trains was quite happy to let people poke their heads out. When she wasn't checking tickets, collecting rubbish, or just having a conversation, she would go to a door and poke her head out whilst checking her timetable.
The SVR weren't against visitors doing this when I went to their Diesel Festival last year. They did have the 4-TC set, which had bars across the windows, but that was because it was used on the national network.
The thing is, is that a lot of heritage railways let people poke their heads out (most often through the dropper windows in the corridors of Mk1 stock) and everyone is perfectly fine. The GWSR used to be 2-track, but is now all 1-track (bar stations) and so clearances are alright, albeit slightly too close for comfort for me personally.
I would never open the doors on the train before it had stopped. Even in the days of BR, many people were against passengers just opening the doors when the train pulled in and before it had stopped - one video on Youtube shows a person just opening the door when the train was still going at ~10mph and hadn't looked out to check the platform was clear!

-Peter

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Yes, the SR bogie brake van was well used!

I know the service was quite intensive (with about 10min turn around time at Eridge) but I was under the impression that Spa Valley trains could not run between Birchden Jnc and Eridge when there was a Southern train in section on the adjacent track.

I wouldn't want to speculate what might have been if someone had inadvertedly stuck their head out the window of a Mk 1 carriage with a Turbo 171 about to speed past...

Roast Veg

Established Member
At the GCR last Saturday there were announcements not to stick heads out of windows, but it was not enforced by on train staff. No passengers attempted to open doors while in motion (that I saw).

Peter C

Established Member
At the GCR last Saturday there were announcements not to stick heads out of windows, but it was not enforced by on train staff. No passengers attempted to open doors while in motion (that I saw).
Interesting. I went to the GCR in Feb 2018 (the week after their gala, can't remember the exact date) and there was no such announcement at any station.
Passengers on heritage lines do not tend to open the train doors before the train stops; I wonder if this is common sense or people just don't think about doing it?

-Peter

duffield

Established Member
I was there on Saturday too. Nice drop of perry in the beer tent at Quorn!

Spa Valley I still haven't done. Tried to a few months ago, turned up at Eridge and it was deserted, I realised I'd misread the timetable and the NR service I'd arrived on was just departing...:oops:

Not a wasted day though, I had a ride on the Tattenham Corner and Epsom Downs branches!

Edders23

Passengers on heritage lines do not tend to open the train doors before the train stops; I wonder if this is common sense or people just don't think about doing it?

Oh yes they do especially where there is a tight connection with a service in the opposite direction

Edders23

would love to do spa valley but every year the diesel gala is during peak holiday season so no chance of visiting

B&W

Some explanations on the above.
Spa lease the TWW station site from Sainsburys who restrict what can and can not be sold at the station as they want as much food and drink trade as possible for themselves.
There is no restriction on Spa trains and Southern trains being in the same section together between the site of the old Birchden Junc and Eridge
We are careful to monitor and remind people not to stick heads out of windows as well as the doors on the NR side being locked between Groombridge and Eridge on that section.

Peter C

Established Member
Peter C said:

Oh yes they do especially where there is a tight connection with a service in the opposite direction
Fair point.

-Peter

steamybrian

Established Member
That's strange - I went to the GWSR Diesel Gala a couple of weeks ago and the guard on one of the trains was quite happy to let people poke their heads out. When she wasn't checking tickets, collecting rubbish, or just having a conversation, she would go to a door and poke her head out whilst checking her timetable.
The SVR weren't against visitors doing this when I went to their Diesel Festival last year. They did have the 4-TC set, which had bars across the windows, but that was because it was used on the national network.
The thing is, is that a lot of heritage railways let people poke their heads out (most often through the dropper windows in the corridors of Mk1 stock) and everyone is perfectly fine. The GWSR used to be 2-track, but is now all 1-track (bar stations) and so clearances are alright, albeit slightly too close for comfort for me personally.

-Peter
The recent fatal incident at Balham is still on many peoples mind and obviously everyone must be particularly careful when leaning out of window ignoring warning signs that "Do not lean out of the window". The Spa Valley Railway is the only Heritage Railway in the country that runs for a considerable distance on an adjacent track to the National Network without fencing, wide gaps, platforms or anything else (adjacent means adjacent...!).

paul1609

Established Member
The ORR has written following the incident on Southern Railway to all Heritage Railways saying that they should carry out risk assessments of the risk of drop light windows. The use of announcements is suggested as a possible measure to mitigate the risk.
At my railway we are handing out safety information leaflets to customers. I don't have one at home but will post a scan after my next duty (tomorrow).

Journeyman

Established Member
Yeah, this is what has made everything so recent. The railway I'm involved in has just ordered a large quantity of "Do Not Lean Out Of The Window" stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.