• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spa Valley Railway extension to Eridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamybrian

Established Member
The Spa Valley Railway have announced that their line between Groombridge and Eridge will open to the public on Friday 25th March. Due to Network Rail Engineering Works their next day of operating to Eridge will be on Saturday 2nd April.
Further details are on their web site www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
......That's great news and an amazing achievement. BTW I couldn't see anything about it on the website but do you intend to restore Eridge signalbox or is it out of bounds to you?

Details are on the web site www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk . The headline on the opening page states - click on "news" on the top left hand side which gives further details, prices and the timetable for the opening date.

Eridge Signal Box has been left in situ by Network Rail (BR and Railtrack) for our future use. We have outline proposals to restore it but at present we are concentrating on opening the station with a single line. There are proposals to install a run round loop loop at Eridge, complete the signalling for the passing loop at Groombridge, etc. It has taken many years of work and a lot of money to get this far but with your support we can undertake all these proposals.

yummy125

Excellent news & about time too, Network Rail do take their time. :D.

I bet the local's are happy with less lorrys coming into town carrying a loco, they can all use the connection for Gala days.

steamybrian

Established Member
The Spa Valley Railway is isolated from Network Rail at Eridge. The tracks will be adjacent to the Oxted- Uckfield line but there are no plans to lay in a connection.

PinzaC55

That makes sense. Knowing NR they would present you with an astronomical bill for connecting up.

tempests1

The Spa Valley Railway is isolated from Network Rail at Eridge. The tracks will be adjacent to the Oxted- Uckfield line but there are no plans to lay in a connection.

There used to be a rusty crossover from the Spa Valley Line to the Uckfield, but that was removed in recent years. It seems a shame that the crossover had to be removed but then as is always the case it comes down to expensive replacement, & then who would maintain it in the future if it was NWR Maintainance then they would charge the railway a fortune. Perhaps the Spa Valley are happy to have reached the point of a National Rail interchange, but who knows in the future they may be able to fund a new crossover & have tours entering & departing? I wish them all the luck I have been to Eridge and it is a lovely part of the world even better when Class 33's are rolling into the Bay Platform! breaking up the boredom of the Class 171's

steamybrian

Established Member
There used to be a rusty crossover from the Spa Valley Line to the Uckfield, but that was removed in recent years. It seems a shame that the crossover had to be removed but then as is always the case it comes down to expensive replacement, & then who would maintain it in the future if it was NWR Maintainance then they would charge the railway a fortune. ....... ...........when Class 33's are rolling into the Bay Platform! breaking up the boredom of the Class 171's

To reinstate the connections at Eridge would be astronomical.

At Eridge the former down main platform will be used for Spa Valley Railway passenger trains . The bay platform will only be used as a siding but it is hoped in the future, when financies permit, that it will be extended to form part of the run round loop.

EE1001

It was a great day on Friday 25 March. I used to live in Eridge, near to the station. Seeing trains back on the line from Tunbridge Wells was fantastic. Well done to all on the Spa Valley Railway for the achievements.

I do also agree with tempests1. There are many other private lines like the Bluebell (near future), West Somerset, Mid Norfolk that *do* have a connection to the mainline. I do recall the link between both lines but it was removed. It would have seemed a logical thing to keep the connection to the mainline so that the Spa could host visiting railtours - like the other lines I have mentioned. I often travel with HDL on outings and it would have been a fitting trip to go to Tunbridge Wells west where I often used to see a Class 201 in the extensive sidings there.

One can't help but feel that the closure of the Eridge - Tun Wells line back in 1985 has some kind of block preventing any connection to the mainline - maybe because it would prove too successful? Who knows.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There used to be a rusty crossover from the Spa Valley Line to the Uckfield, but that was removed in recent years. It seems a shame that the crossover had to be removed but then as is always the case it comes down to expensive replacement, & then who would maintain it in the future if it was NWR Maintainance then they would charge the railway a fortune. Perhaps the Spa Valley are happy to have reached the point of a National Rail interchange, but who knows in the future they may be able to fund a new crossover & have tours entering & departing? I wish them all the luck I have been to Eridge and it is a lovely part of the world even better when Class 33's are rolling into the Bay Platform! breaking up the boredom of the Class 171's

When I was a boy, I loved seeing the daily Class 33 drawn service to Uckfield in the evening. I also remember seeing on rare occasions 4LAV units headed by a 33? or maybe a "JA" or "JB"? coming through from / to Lewes. Those were the days.

Last edited:

robvulpes

I do also agree with tempests1. There are many other private lines like the Bluebell, West Somerset, Mid Norfolk that *do* have a connection to the mainline.

Bluebell ?? - Oh no it doesn't (yet).

Waddon

Bluebell ?? - Oh no it doesn't (yet).
Well, you could say it does, because the track going from NR across the viaduct to the tip from East Grinstead is all Bluebell owned, as well as the new station at East Grinstead... it's just not connected to what you could call the Bluebell 'proper' yet...

PinzaC55

Regarding a connection at Eridge it is a tragedy when you think of the Billions of pounds of taxpayers money which are squandered on loopy ideas like the Millenium Dome and yet a few million would reconnect the Spa Line to the national network.

50Fan91

Regarding a connection at Eridge it is a tragedy when you think of the Billions of pounds of taxpayers money which are squandered on loopy ideas like the Millenium Dome and yet a few million would reconnect the Spa Line to the national network.

:idea:

What about all the wan.. sorry bankers :roll: that could afford to pay for this sort of thing out of loose change? Or am I being a little too political?!

Anyway, I am just very pleased that the railway is progressing so well. They've run into Eridge station - I'm sure that this is easily enough to be going on with until funds permit the next stage!

PinzaC55

EE1001 said "I do also agree with tempests1. There are many other private lines like the Bluebell (near future), West Somerset, Mid Norfolk that *do* have a connection to the mainline. I do recall the link between both lines but it was removed. It would have seemed a logical thing to keep the connection to the mainline so that the Spa could host visiting railtours - like the other lines I have mentioned. I often travel with HDL on outings and it would have been a fitting trip to go to Tunbridge Wells west where I often used to see a Class 201 in the extensive sidings there."

Just a little observation - most of the heritage lines which are connected to the national network were either connected or reconnected in BRITISH RAIL days. For whatever faults they had BR were different to Network Rail who charge extraordinary sums for even small projects.

steamybrian

Established Member
All rolling stock to the Spa Valley Railway was delivered by road. The track with the Tunbridge Wells- Birchden Jn line was severed in 1990 upon singling of the Uckfield line. A temporary connection with the former down line between Birchden Jn- Eridge was made after the track at Eridge had been sufficiently disconnected from the then BR network to ensure that the lines remain seperated.
Lines that PinzaC55 mentioned such as Bluebell, West Somerset Railway, North Norfolk have connection through existing sidings or at the North Norfolk an end on connection.
At Eridge it is plain line --there is no points, no signals, no operational signal box. The nearest signals are at Ashurst Junction or Crowborough, The nearest signal box is at Oxted (15 miles away).
It is not only in BR times that Heritage Railways have been reconnected to the National Network in recent times connections have been made to-the North Norfolk (Sheringham), Bluebell Railway (at East Grinstead), Weardale Railway (at Bishop Auckland) and the Swanage Railway.
The Spa Valley Railway have received excellent help support from Network Rail , "Southern Railway" train operating company plus other Rail Contracting Companies and in my view far greater support than BR gave who closed the line initially.

Last edited:

PinzaC55

"It is not only in BR times that Heritage Railways have been reconnected to the National Network in recent times connections have been made to-the North Norfolk (Sheringham), Bluebell Railway (at East Grinstead), Weardale Railway (at Bishop Auckland) and the Swanage Railway."

North Norfolk, East Grinstead and Swanage are, as you said earlier, simple end-on conections with plain line.
Weardale Railway was refurbishment of existing points and signal which had "Grandfather Rights".
Mid Norfolk uses an existing junction which was never removed, as does the NYMR.
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway runs to Duffield but has no plans to reinstate the junction due to cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.