• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spa Valley railway vandalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagwan my g

on the morning of new year's day some mindless idiots broke into two (mark 1 I think) carriages at the line and trashed them, setting off fireworks inside the carriages, leaving boxes of mince pies and sandwiches everywhere, and a broken door where they attempted to gain entry, a fire extinguisher and card reader have also been stolen.

one carriage involved was their bar car kate, which I'm sure was a good source of income for the line which has now had to be taken out of service. Luckily they were still able to provide a service yesterday and the damage hasn't been too bad as luckily there was no fire but it is still gonna cost them to repair the damages ( carriages smell of gunpowder, remains of fireworks on woodwork, doors need fixing items need replacing) . a go fund me page has been set up I believe.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/tunbridge-wells/news/vandals-set-off-fireworks-on-train-219422/
https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/spa-valley-railway-cars-trashed-3695704
https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/police-investigating-new-years-eve-3697818

it seems it was caught on cctv and they can see people's faces and the police are involved so hopefully there's a chance these people will be caught but whether or not properly punished will be a different story .

shame to see another one of our heritage lines become a target of vandalism.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

UP13

Such a shame. Went there for the first time last year and I was very impressed with it. My two little ones loved it.

Setting fireworks off inside? The culprits are lucky they didn't seriously injure themselves or worse.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
That is so sad to hear, I have been in the "Kate" Carriage and it is so well restored. It is a good railway. I do hope they get the vandals who did this.

Aictos

Established Member
Been there a few times but never used the carriage in question, still always enjoy going there so it’s disappointing that some low lives feel the need to cause this criminal damage.

On the subject of the Spa Valley I'm thinking of popping down the end of March for the diesil Palais there any chance of 09026 coming into play? Shunt release would be enough for me

B&W

On the subject of the Spa Valley I'm thinking of popping down the end of March for the diesil Palais there any chance of 09026 coming into play? Shunt release would be enough for me
An honest answer is no chance I am afraid.
Progress is still taking place, and the engine should be put back in to the frames this spring now the chassis/running plate metalwork repairs are done.
Then the generator alinement needs to be set up so the deflections meet spec as an overhauled generator has been fitted/cylinder heads overhauled/jacket water leaks stopped as well as putting everything back together. As always job would go quicker with more volunteers.

An honest answer is no chance I am afraid.
Progress is still taking place, and the engine should be put back in to the frames this spring now the chassis/running plate metalwork repairs are done.
Then the generator alinement needs to be set up so the deflections meet spec as an overhauled generator has been fitted/cylinder heads overhauled/jacket water leaks stopped as well as putting everything back together. As always job would go quicker with more volunteers.

Arh well thanks for the reply

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Usually the entrance gate is locked shut but anyone with intent can scale the fence into Tunbridge Wells West station.

Hope the culprits are brought to justice.

Perhaps a fitting penance would be a mandatory 6 month community service order repairing the damage and appreciating just how much money, time and effort is needed to restore old carriages. Then they can sweep out the shed and passenger carriages (before and after service) every day and do any other duties the railway see fit

Sadly, I can't see this happening

Roast Veg

Established Member
Usually the entrance gate is locked shut but anyone with intent can scale the fence into Tunbridge Wells West station.

Hope the culprits are brought to justice.

Perhaps a fitting penance would be a mandatory 6 month community service order repairing the damage and appreciating just how much money, time and effort is needed to restore old carriages. Then they can sweep out the shed and passenger carriages (before and after service) every day and do any other duties the railway see fit

Sadly, I can't see this happening
Why does this always get recommended when events like these occur? The last thing I would want is somebody who doesn't care for the trains being strongarmed into working on them. Another poster will be recommending they get a live sentence next

Edders23

Such a shame. Went there for the first time last year and I was very impressed with it. My two little ones loved it.

Setting fireworks off inside? The culprits are lucky they didn't seriously injure themselves or worse.

Perhaps if that HAD of happened then people might take the damage caused more seriously than the Oh dear never mind that is usually the case

trebor79

Established Member
Why does this always get recommended when events like these occur? The last thing I would want is somebody who doesn't care for the trains being strongarmed into working on them.
Agree. It would be better to give them community service litter picking or something similar.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately I think there isn't any deterrent that could actually happen that would actually make individuals of this dubious character reconsider their actions :(

randyrippley

Established Member
Unfortunately I think there isn't any deterrent that could actually happen that would actually make individuals of this dubious character reconsider their actions :(

Yeah there is.
Give them each a bucket and shovel and make them scrape up every scrap of toilet effluent on the track,

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah there is.
Give them each a bucket and shovel and make them scrape up every scrap of toilet effluent on the track,
Every bit..?
I think you’d definitely need tweezers.
A shovel wouldn’t do the job(bies) properly. Not if you were going to get forensic about it...

Worf

"When I were a lad we used to wash t'gravel clean wi tongue"
"You had it easy" etc etc

Journeyman

Established Member
Can we just hold off on the "bloody bleeding heart liberals", "prison's too good for 'em", "the police won't do anything", "skin them alive" discussions?

Things like this have always happened, and probably always will. Some people are idiots. Nothing else to see here, move along.

Aictos

Established Member
Agree. It would be better to give them community service litter picking or something similar.

Community service is possible as they could do lineside vegetation clearance on the SVR.

Peter C

Established Member
Every time I see this sort of event happen I lose a little bit more faith in humanity. Why people do this is beyond me but as Journeyman says, things like this have always happened, and probably always will happen. I really hope the people who do this face a suitable punishment and the Spa Valley Railway manage to restore their coaches.

-Peter

Malcmal

Can we just hold off on the "bloody bleeding heart liberals", "prison's too good for 'em", "the police won't do anything", "skin them alive" discussions?

Things like this have always happened, and probably always will. Some people are idiots. Nothing else to see here, move along.

Actually I think this thread has been really restrained in comparison to many. This is most likely a sad indication of how often this happens and how rarely there is a truly worthwhile outcome.

One major mistake so many people make is to judge the type of person who does this vandalism by their own standards. On paper these people are also human beings but beyond that the differences can be quite dramatic when you take upbringing and moral values into this debate.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Actually I think this thread has been really restrained in comparison to many. This is most likely a sad indication of how often this happens and how rarely there is a truly worthwhile outcome.

One major mistake so many people make is to judge the type of person who does this vandalism by their own standards. On paper these people are also human beings but beyond that the differences can be quite dramatic when you take upbringing and moral values into this debate.

So how do YOU judge people who perform mindless acts of vandalism in order to deliberately damage heritage property that has been lovingly restored by volunteers (no doubt costing hundreds or thousands of £££'s) for the enjoyment of others !?

Malcmal

So how do YOU judge people who perform mindless acts of vandalism in order to deliberately damage heritage property that has been lovingly restored by volunteers (no doubt costing hundreds or thousands of £££'s) for the enjoyment of others !?

I think you misunderstand my post as being somehow liberal and forgiving. Actually what I am trying to say is the opposite - the liberal element tries to "forgive" and "understand" by judging these "people" by their own standards. I can assure you I am firmly in the "flog 'em" camp.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Once caught, charged and found guilty they will be sentenced in line with the Sentencing Guidelines, as laid down by the Home Office. I suggest that if you think those are inadequate you pressurise your MP to get them changed.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Once caught, charged and found guilty they will be sentenced in line with the Sentencing Guidelines, as laid down by the Home Office. I suggest that if you think those are inadequate you pressurise your MP to get them changed.
There isn't much point as adequate provisions are extremely unlikely to be affordable.

Carlisle

Established Member
Absolutely, 20 years ago you were either having your car nicked or if you were more fortunate it was just the radio & a smashed window

Journeyman

Established Member
Absolutely, 20 years ago you were either having your car nicked or if you were more fortunate it was just the radio & a smashed window

Yeah - a lot of petty crime and vandalism is actually far less of a problem than it used to be.

I'm not belittling what's happened here - the heritage railway I'm involved in has just had a load of tools nicked, which is a massive pain - but the solutions proposed by the hang 'em and flog 'em* brigade won't solve anything.

* Not necessarily in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.