• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spa Valley - starting/finishing at Eridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm quite keen to visit the Spa Valley this coming Thursday. Ideally I'd like to visit by taking a main line train to Eridge. Although they've now made all tickets valid all day, and their FAQ says travel via Eridge is possible, annoyingly you only seem able to book tickets from the Tunbridge Wells end, so you'll only have a reserved seat in one direction if you want to start/finish at Eridge. This seems like bit of a pain.

Am I overthinking it? I'm hoping the place won't be hugely busy on Thursday, and that a couple of trips up and down the line, with a stopover at Groombridge, shouldn't be too much of a problem. Anyone been there recently? Would it be best to start/finish at Tunbridge Wells instead? It's just a bit less convenient from where I'm staying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

UP13

I've only been once, and that was pre-Covid, and that was by car to Tunbridge Well (I had two little people and it is a lot easier with a car and the flexibility it offers). Tunbridge Wells was an excellent place to start and the western themed restaurant in the original station building was an excellent place for a family meal after our return trip.

If you have the ability to get to Tunbridge Wells then I'd do that. If it wasn't Covid I would say just go for Eridge (which I would have done if I didn't have small children).

Journeyman

Established Member
I've only been once, and that was pre-Covid, and that was by car to Tunbridge Well (I had two little people and it is a lot easier with a car and the flexibility it offers). Tunbridge Wells was an excellent place to start and the western themed restaurant in the original station building was an excellent place for a family meal after our return trip.

If you have the ability to get to Tunbridge Wells then I'd do that. If it wasn't Covid I would say just go for Eridge (which I would have done if I didn't have small children).
Oh, I've been before, some time ago, and so I do know the line, but it's just much easier to reach Eridge from where I'm staying, and I won't have access to a car, so I do need to know specifically the ins and outs of doing so at the moment.

E759

I visited Thursday 17th arriving by train at Eridge for the first steam/diesel train. I picked any train in the middle of the day for my "reserved" train/seat. I sat where I wanted to for every trip apart from one time where I happened to have picked someones reserved seat; obviously I moved. Very light loading on all services.

The only station offering any catering was Groombridge where you could get tea/coffee and a KitKat... I therefore had lunch at The Hunstman right by Eridge station.

The steam loco looks and sounds really good! Worth sitting next to when it is on the front (Tunbridge Wells West end).

[Edited for spelling.]

steamybrian

Established Member
I visited Thursday 17th arriving by train at Eridge for the first steam/diesel train. I picked any train in the middle of the day for my "reserved" train/seat. I sat where I wanted to for every trip apart from one time where I happened to have picked someones reserved seat; obviously I moved. Very light loading on all services.

The only station offering any catering was Groombridge where you could get tea/coffee and a KitKat... I therefore had lunch at The Hunstman right by Eridge station.

The steam loco looks and sounds really good! Worth sitting next to when it is on the front (Tunbridge Wells West end).

[Edited for spelling.]
On recent normal midweek days Spa Valley Railway trains have been very quiet and advance reservation is not necessary. In fact it is cheaper buying tickets on the day as it avoids booking fees. Since the pandemic the refreshment facilities at both Eridge and Tunbridge Wells West have been withdrawn as they have been unable to comply with social distancing. As was stated above Groombridge has a refreshment kiosk and a catering trolley may be provided if staff is available . There are many fine pubs with not only the Huntsman at Eridge but at Groombridge there is "The Junction" and the "The Crown" within walking distance.
Finally the first train from Eridge at 1115 connects with the 1050 arrival from Uckfield and the 1104 arrival from London.
At Eridge ticket office (on platform 2/3) please state that you are a RailUKForums member...........................

Bessie

I also visited last Thursday 17th and enjoyed my trip out and back from TWW. The train was lightly loaded so on the return I moved to the front carriage (a MK2 BSO with the winged seats) to enjoy the sights and sounds of the Hunslet loco 2890. I can't see there being an issue with an Eridge to Eridge trip and all the volunteers will be pleased to assist I expect. It was good to get NSE Class 73 haulage as well. Also note the delay in the Boris roadmap means the Thumper DEMU won't be in operation until the Covid restrictions are relaxed.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
In my experience, the Spa Valley Railway has a fairly well integrated revenue system - I was sold a ticket from the till on board the catering car one time when I boarded at Groombridge when the ticket office there was shut, and another time from the office at Eridge - so I think you can buy a ticket from any point on their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.