• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spain / EU cabin baggage

Chester1

Established Member
Spain fines budget airlines €150m over ‘abusive’ cabin bag and seat charges

Carriers including easyJet and Ryanair face being banned from charging for carry-on luggage

Budget airlines including easyJet and Ryanair have been hit with fines totalling €150m (£128m) by the Spanish government for policies that include charging passengers extra for cabin luggage.

In the biggest sanction issued by the Spanish government’s ministry of social rights and consumer affairs, the carriers easyJet, Ryanair, Vueling and Volotea have been penalised after an investigation launched last summer.

Under the judgment, the four airlines face being banned from charging passengers for cabin luggage in the future.

The Spanish news outlet Cadena SER reported that the fines would total €150m, with the airlines also being censured for charging passengers extra fees to reserve adjacent seats for children and other dependents.

The Spanish Airline Association (ALA), which represents the airlines, has hit back at the decision, calling the fines “disproportionate”, and pointing out that airlines could still appeal.

Ministry sources told the Guardian that the general directorate of consumer affairs had opened up an investigation in June last year after complaints by consumer organisations over “abusive practices” being deployed by the airlines.

The investigation focused on four areas, which included charging extra for cabin luggage and seat selection.

The government investigation also looked at concerns around a lack of transparency by the airlines over the final price of services when booking online, and the decision to block cash payments at the airport for additional services.

The sources said that the final sanction proposals had been put forward to the affected companies weeks ago. The ministry would not confirm the financial amounts each company has been asked to pay.

Cadena SER also reported that Ryanair had been censured by the ministry for charging passengers €20 to print off their paper tickets, calling this a disproportionate cost.

Facua, one of the consumer groups that filed the initial complaint, welcomed the decision, saying that it had been campaigning for six years to get the government to intervene.

ALA, which represents airlines carrying 85% of air traffic to and from Spain, said in a statement that the process was still open and an appeal could be lodged.

It also stressed that the practice was completely legal and that European legislation recognised the freedom of airlines to set their fares.

It said: “Sanctioning this practice limits the option to pay only for essential services and would force all passengers to contract the cabin baggage transport service, even if they do not need it.

“The consumer will be the main victim of this interference by the ministry of social rights, consumer affairs and Agenda 2030 in the European single market and the freedom of tariffs protected by European law.”

Ryanair, Vueling and easyJet referred the Guardian to the ALA for a response. Volotea has been contacted for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...busive-cabin-bag-seat-charges-easyjet-ryanair

There are other legal challenges in other EU countries It looks like budget airlines registered in the EU will have to rewrite their policies to include a large cabin bag with tickets. I don't see a problem with not including a large cabin bag with the standard ticket. It shouldn't be difficult for people who always pay for one to add £25pp to the price when they see an advert. Easyjet's under seat limit allows a case or bag of approximately 30 litres and I find that more than adequate for a long weekend. It still saves money for couples traveling for up to a week because one large bag will be enough for some. Ryanair's under seat bags are limited to about 20 litres but they match well with big case in the hold. I don't want to return to the lottery cabin bags being taken at the gate and put in the hold. I think the only way EasyJet could avoid this would be shrinking its large bag dimensions which currently enable a very generous case or bag of about 47 litres.

One way around it would be for each airline to transfer all their services operating between the UK and EU to their UK subsidiaries but it would be quite a logistical challenge. EasyJet flights between the UK and EU are operated by a mix of the main company and EasyJet UK. Ryanair UK only seems to fly between the UK and non EU destinations.

For reference the dimensions under current policies are:

EastJet small - 45x36x20cm
EasyJet large - 56x45x20cm

Ryanair small - 40x20x25cm
Ryanair large - 55x40x20cm

Wizz Air small - 40x30x20cm
Wizz Air Large - 55x50x23cm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuu

Established Member
Who flies without any luggage at all?
Lots of people fly with just a small rucksack, so don't need to pay for a carry-on wheelie bag or hold bag.

I wonder if the fines are more to do with the airlines charging more than the cost of provision, rather than the idea of separate costings. Ryanair charging so much to print a boarding card is clearly outrageous - you can buy a printer for that price

Chester1

Established Member

All the budget airlines include an under seat bag with the price of a ticket. Easyjet's 45x36x20cm under seat bag limit enables a bag or case of about 30 litres. By comparison Ryanair's large cabin bag / case limit is about 40 litres. If you are staying somewhere with a washing machine or its only a short visit then EasyJet's small bag is enough. Smaller Ryanair bags of 20 litres are often enough for a long holiday if you are paying for hold luggage, having a large cabin bag and hold luggage would be excessive for many travellers. For me its about choice. People shouldn't have to pay more for tickets for a service they don't use. I am going on holiday with my partner soon, flying on Easyjet. We have booked two small bags and one large. Thats approximately 105 litres of storage between us for a 5 night holiday. Why should we have to pay an extra £50 for a second large bag that we don't need?

Lots of people fly with just a small rucksack, so don't need to pay for a carry-on wheelie bag or hold bag.

I wonder if the fines are more to do with the airlines charging more than the cost of provision, rather than the idea of separate costings. Ryanair charging so much to print a boarding card is clearly outrageous - you can buy a printer for that price

The level of the fine is probaby because of those practices but the court ruled that large cabin bags needed to be included with tickets.

Starmill

Veteran Member
That’s a terrible idea - making air travel more expensive for everyone, luggage or not.
If the airlines hadn't engaged in the predatory pricing element, most likely they'd never have been pulled up on the cabin baggage allowance.

I don't think there's a choice here. Predatory pricing should be challenged in law so as to make it clear to competitors who aren't doing it that they are in the right. If a law isn't to be enforced at all, then that jurisdiction should get rid of the law.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The provision cost of non-optional services has already been dealt with, e.g. stopping them charging for card processing for all means of payment available, or just having one awkward one for free e.g. showing up to their office with cash.

It's about reducing "drip pricing" for things most people will want which make it hard to compare prices. Yes, you can work around the small bags by buying a bag that's precisely the required size for each airline, but that really shouldn't be necessary. And the cabin bag issue only came about because they started charging for checked bags.

The one I'd like to see dealt with is Ryanair's random seat allocation, which is totally unnecessary and vindictive in extracting extra money for parents being able to sit next to their kid which should be a legal requirement, as people in families going to find other people in that family to help them would slow an evacuation. They could just allocate the unselected seats sequentially so people on a booking end up at least reasonably close together (as most airlines do) but they actively choose not to.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
One way around it would be for each airline to transfer all their services operating between the UK and EU to their UK subsidiaries but it would be quite a logistical challenge. EasyJet flights between the UK and EU are operated by a mix of the main company and EasyJet UK. Ryanair UK only seems to fly between the UK and non EU destinations.
Doing that would risk retaliation against the industry in other ways too. The airline also wouldn't get any guarantees about what laws might apply in the UK in future. It certainly wouldn't be a magic solution even if it were practical.

Hornet

I flew once from Heathrow to Dublin around Christmas, Pre 9/11. Checking in at the desk I was asked if i had any luggage to check in. No, said I. Next question was can I see your hand luggage, to which I showed her my Evening Standard. Thats all I had, one newspaper. The check in agent looked at it, then at me and said "you're travelling light!". I don't think they had seen anyone at check in so bereft of luggage. (I'd travelled by ferry a week earlier with presents and clothes for the Christmas period).

gabrielhj07

The one I'd like to see dealt with is Ryanair's random seat allocation, which is totally unnecessary and vindictive in extracting extra money for parents being able to sit next to their kid which should be a legal requirement, as people in families going to find other people in that family to help them would slow an evacuation. They could just allocate the unselected seats sequentially so people on a booking end up at least reasonably close together (as most airlines do) but they actively choose not to.
Ryanair quite explicitly point out that if you don’t pay, then they will allocate you a random seat. Not sequential, not with other members of the same booking, but random. Far too many passengers click through all that explanation on their website, only to act surprised when they find out their party is sat at opposite ends of the cabin.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ryanair quite explicitly point out that if you don’t pay, then they will allocate you a random seat. Not sequential, not with other members of the same booking, but random. Far too many passengers click through all that explanation on their website, only to act surprised when they find out their party is sat at opposite ends of the cabin.

I know they do. I was expressing an opinion that for evacuation safety reasons this should be illegal.

Chester1

Established Member
It's about reducing "drip pricing" for things most people will want which make it hard to compare prices. Yes, you can work around the small bags by buying a bag that's precisely the required size for each airline, but that really shouldn't be necessary. And the cabin bag issue only came about because they started charging for checked bags.

One person's drip pricing is another person's cheap ticket. The four airlines fined stated 50 million people travel with only underseat bags. Light travelers shouldn't be forced to pay more because some people ignore basic instructions or don't like having to pay more than the advertised price because they won’t travel light. Easyjet couldn't make it more obvious only an under seat bag is included and try to nudge you to buy a large bag or hold luggage.

You are right that locker space only became an issue because they charged for hold luggage but a large number of travellers don't want or need hold luggage.

I remember Wizz Air gate staff at Luton threatening to call security twice because about a dozen Albanians were getting angry about being charged for second bags on our flight to Tirana. They spoke good English and were either on return leg of a holiday or lived in the UK and will have flown Wizz Air before. It was really obvious they knew the rules and were trying it on to try and get second bag free. There are plenty of Brits like that too. If people want two cabin bags on a budget airline flight then they should be prepared to pay more.

Doing that would risk retaliation against the industry in other ways too. The airline also wouldn't get any guarantees about what laws might apply in the UK in future. It certainly wouldn't be a magic solution even if it were practical.

I doubt it would cause retaliation. The EU didn't set out to ban selling some cabin luggage as an extra. Its the result of a court ruling based on legislation passed before the main budget airlines changed their polcies in 2018. The EU could do with legislating on the topic to reflect modern practices. They could introduce a legal minimum bag size included with a ticket e.g. 30 litres or they could go whole hog and standardise cabin bag sizes across the industry.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
standardise cabin bag sizes across the industry.
This would be by far the most useful outcome in my view. It would allow more effective competition between airlines, on a fair and transparent basis.

I don't see any reason why checked luggage or a large piece of hand luggage necessarily needs to be included in the fare, as many people are willing to travel lightly. They shouldn't be penalised for others wanting to travel with more luggage.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
go whole hog and standardise cabin bag sizes across the industry.

There is of course an international standard of the IATA carry-on - 56x45x25cm. And a standard checked bag weight of 23kg. (Both slightly odd numbers but that's because of US influence, the numbers in inches/pounds are more "round").

The problem is that many aircraft don't have bins of the correct size for everyone to be able to take that (most notably non-Sky Interior Boeing 737s). And underseat space will very much depend on the type of seat used.

If you wanted to do a standardised carry-on for all aircraft, it'd thus be very small - probably smaller than Sleasy's underseat bag.

The reality is that the place for luggage is the hold (as it makes best use of space on the aircraft that's otherwise unused), and it would be much better if people just carried on what they needed for the flight and checked their case, which can then be any size subject to being a handle-able weight (and 23kg is really very heavy, it's hard to go over that without packing bricks or kettlebells). A return to that sanity would be the real solution.

So the problem once again is drip pricing. Or rather, the majority are disadvantaged in order to provide a headline price for a few savvy MoneySavingExpert readers. The majority would be better off if we just went back to 56x45x25 for the super-rushed business travellers and everyone else put max 23kg each underneath and just carried on their coat, iPad and book, and we stuck to just upselling things like choosing better seats, higher classes and food/drink.

Last edited:

jon81uk

I just want them to have simple options as the first available option. Right now with most budget airlines when you click on the fare it then offers under-seat bag only, or larger cabin bag, or a combo of hold luggage and seat reservation or a combo or cabin luggage and seat reservation etc.

All I want to know is how much for a flight with an under-seat bag and a hold luggage 23kg, but many won't show that until after you enter the passengers names even!
Showing more than just three options upfront would be easier, so cabin or hold luggage with or without seat reservations.

That way those who want no luggage (just rucksack under seat) can get their cheap flight and those who want luggage can clearly see the add-on cost with just one click.

Snow1964

Established Member
You are right that locker space only became an issue because they charged for hold luggage but a large number of travellers don't want or need hold luggage.

2 things made it an issue, one was charging for hold space, the other was the close spaced slimline seat.

Airlines now have about 5 rows of seats in same space as about 4 rows in past, but didn't increase overhead bin capacity by similar 25% (and I'm aware in more recent years larger overhead lockers have been developed but these are in minority of European short haul planes)

Starmill

Veteran Member
I doubt it would cause retaliation. The EU didn't set out to ban selling some cabin luggage as an extra. Its the result of a court ruling based on legislation passed before the main budget airlines changed their polcies in 2018. The EU could do with legislating on the topic to reflect modern practices. They could introduce a legal minimum bag size included with a ticket e.g. 30 litres or they could go whole hog and standardise cabin bag sizes across the industry.
A minimum inclusive bag capacity or size, and mass, would likely yield better results but would be more prescriptive than an overarching requirement to price transparently and fairly. Clearly it's the case that currently the prices aren't transparent enough, and there's evidence that the charges are predatory, hence the judgement in this case. Once again some airlines' bad behaviour is risking harsher regulation on them all.

For what it's worth I think the easyjet free allowance is probably perfectly fine for what it is. Their probablem is the way they display the prices and the things they bundle and upsell, or don't.

A return to that sanity would be the real solution.
Of course, quality operators already do that, such as Loganair, and they also couldn't be accused of predatory pricing because they don't really charge for any optional extras, even carbon offsets and onboard coffees are mandatory and inclusive on the fares. It makes them a genuine pleasure to use from a customer perspective, as you know exactly where you stand. But it doesn't at all fit the low cost model, so isn't a great solution for anything wider.

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member
There is of course an international standard of the IATA carry-on - 56x45x25cm. And a standard checked bag weight of 23kg. (Both slightly odd numbers but that's because of US influence, the numbers in inches/pounds are more "round").

The problem is that many aircraft don't have bins of the correct size for everyone to be able to take that (most notably non-Sky Interior Boeing 737s). And underseat space will very much depend on the type of seat used.

If you wanted to do a standardised carry-on for all aircraft, it'd thus be very small - probably smaller than Sleasy's underseat bag.

The reality is that the place for luggage is the hold (as it makes best use of space on the aircraft that's otherwise unused), and it would be much better if people just carried on what they needed for the flight and checked their case, which can then be any size subject to being a handle-able weight (and 23kg is really very heavy, it's hard to go over that without packing bricks or kettlebells). A return to that sanity would be the real solution.

So the problem once again is drip pricing. Or rather, the majority are disadvantaged in order to provide a headline price for a few savvy MoneySavingExpert readers. The majority would be better off if we just went back to 56x45x25 for the super-rushed business travellers and everyone else put max 23kg each underneath and just carried on their coat, iPad and book, and we stuck to just upselling things like choosing better seats, higher classes and food/drink.

The majority would not be better off. Yes the headline price would be more accurate but most people would be paying for more luggage than they need. There are costs associated with handling hold luggage and its an extra queue for people happy with only cabin luggage. A very large number of people have got used to not checking in luggage on short haul flights.

I just want them to have simple options as the first available option. Right now with most budget airlines when you click on the fare it then offers under-seat bag only, or larger cabin bag, or a combo of hold luggage and seat reservation or a combo or cabin luggage and seat reservation etc.

All I want to know is how much for a flight with an under-seat bag and a hold luggage 23kg, but many won't show that until after you enter the passengers names even!
Showing more than just three options upfront would be easier, so cabin or hold luggage with or without seat reservations.

That way those who want no luggage (just rucksack under seat) can get their cheap flight and those who want luggage can clearly see the add-on cost with just one click.

That would solve the drip pricing issue. Although I am sure some people who opt out will still want to bring to cabin bags!

2 things made it an issue, one was charging for hold space, the other was the close spaced slimline seat.

Airlines now have about 5 rows of seats in same space as about 4 rows in past, but didn't increase overhead bin capacity by similar 25% (and I'm aware in more recent years larger overhead lockers have been developed but these are in minority of European short haul planes)

Charging for hold luggage is legitimate. The more people who check in bags for more check in staff that are required and the longer loading and unloading takes.

A minimum inclusive bag capacity or size, and mass, would likely yield better results but would be more prescriptive than an overarching requirement to price transparently and fairly. Clearly it's the case that currently the prices aren't transparent enough, and there's evidence that the charges are predatory, hence the judgement in this case. Once again some airlines' bad behaviour is risking harsher regulation on them all.

For what it's worth I think the easyjet free allowance is probably perfectly fine for what it is. Their probablem is the way they display the prices and the things they bundle and upsell, or don't.

Of course, quality operators already do that, such as Loganair, and they also couldn't be accused of predatory pricing because they don't really charge for any optional extras, even carbon offsets and onboard coffees are mandatory and inclusive on the fares. It makes them a genuine pleasure to use from a customer perspective, as you know exactly where you stand. But it doesn't at all fit the low cost model, so isn't a great solution for anything wider.

Loganair's fleet doesn't support as much cabin luggage so they don’t have much of a choice. If budget airlines have to act like traditional cariers then their fares will go up a lot. I like Loganair but will never pick them when I have a choice because even with EasyJet's additional charges the latter is much cheaper.

I think @jon81uk solution is the best way to address transparency issues while giving people who fly light the ability to pay for the services they use.

jon81uk

That would solve the drip pricing issue. Although I am sure some people who opt out will still want to bring to cabin bags!
Not sure what you mean by people who opt out?

At the moment the default price on most budget airlines is underseat bag only. But they don't show the rest of the options without multiple further clicks and in many cases want passenger names first. I just want it so the next screen offers the luggage add-ons without trying to upsell seat reservation combo things.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The majority would not be better off. Yes the headline price would be more accurate but most people would be paying for more luggage than they need. There are costs associated with handling hold luggage and its an extra queue for people happy with only cabin luggage. A very large number of people have got used to not checking in luggage on short haul flights.

It's trading one queue for another. As someone who does check a bag, I would prefer more people did as I can then breeze through security. With only a few items in your hands security is super-quick.

stuu

Established Member
It's trading one queue for another. As someone who does check a bag, I would prefer more people did as I can then breeze through security. With only a few items in your hands security is super-quick.
I disagree, in my experience what slows down security is the faff of taking off coats/belts/watches etc and then people forgetting to do one of those and then having to go back and be rescanned. Bags are far more straightforward

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I disagree, in my experience what slows down security is the faff of taking off coats/belts/watches etc and then people forgetting to do one of those and then having to go back and be rescanned. Bags are far more straightforward
Experiences vary, but going through Manchester the biggest delays I see are caused by people taking too many liquids through security. This may improve when the 100ml/1L limit is increased with the new scanners, but for now the biggest problem is what people put in their bags. It’s other silly things on top of the liquid issue, too- things like nail clippers that people don’t think will be an issue but are.

There are costs associated with handling hold luggage
What’s fascinating is that EasyJet’s pricing is now that the cost of a large cabin bag is basically the same as the cost of a 15kg hold bag. On one recent flight back to the island it was actually cheaper to take a 15kg hold bag than it was to take a large cabin bag.

Aer Lingus have taken it one step further. Everyone gets a free large cabin bag, but you have to check it into the hold. If you want to take it as cabin baggage, you have to pay. I sincerely hope British Airways follow suit as the current scrum at boarding and constant gate-checking of bags is not sustainable.

It’s almost as though the most efficient way of dealing with luggage is to let professional baggage handlers put it in the hold.

Loganair have an unfair reputation as being expensive because of this though. With a 15kg hold bag there’s, in my experience, usually very little difference between Loganair and EasyJet. But Loganair’s headline price can be twice that of the headline price of EasyJet.

This is an issue where I’m only going away for one night and can do with a small rucksack. Loganair’s price includes the baggage I don’t need, and so they are more expensive.

I just wish the drop pricing was more transparent. EasyJet make you put passenger details in before you can see the cost of bags- their Home Screen only offers a bundle including all sorts of things I don’t want. And they also do dynamic pricing on things like bags and seats. So you don’t really know what you’ll pay until the very last screen.

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member
Not sure what you mean by people who opt out?

At the moment the default price on most budget airlines is underseat bag only. But they don't show the rest of the options without multiple further clicks and in many cases want passenger names first. I just want it so the next screen offers the luggage add-ons without trying to upsell seat reservation combo things.

Sorry I thought you were suggesting bundling in two items of cabin baggage with the ticket price and then having to remove second bag to get the cheaper price currently used in searches.

Check in ussually takes much longer than security, although I only check in items for long haul or Loganair. I understand why you prefer to check in bags but I am not sure why you think airlines should have to be forced to offer that service.

What’s fascinating is that EasyJet’s pricing is now that the cost of a large cabin bag is basically the same as the cost of a 15kg hold bag. On one recent flight back to the island it was actually cheaper to take a 15kg hold bag than it was to take a large cabin bag.

Aer Lingus have taken it one step further. Everyone gets a free large cabin bag, but you have to check it into the hold. If you want to take it as cabin baggage, you have to pay. I sincerely hope British Airways follow suit as the current scrum at boarding and constant gate-checking of bags is not sustainable.

It’s almost as though the most efficient way of dealing with luggage is to let professional baggage handlers put it in the hold.

Loganair have an unfair reputation as being expensive because of this though. With a 15kg hold bag there’s, in my experience, usually very little difference between Loganair and EasyJet. But Loganair’s headline price can be twice that of the headline price of EasyJet.

This is an issue where I’m only going away for one night and can do with a small rucksack. Loganair’s price includes the baggage I don’t need, and so they are more expensive.

I just wish the drop pricing was more transparent. EasyJet make you put passenger details in before you can see the cost of bags- their Home Screen only offers a bundle including all sorts of things I don’t want. And they also do dynamic pricing on things like bags and seats. So you don’t really know what you’ll pay until the very last screen.

I think cabin luggage vs hold luggage prices depend on destination. I tend to find hold luggage is several pounds more expensive.

I definitely think there something could be done on pricing without forcing a universal luggage policy on light travelers, making them pay more.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I think cabin luggage vs hold luggage prices depend on destination. I tend to find hold luggage is several pounds more expensive.
EasyJet do use dynamic pricing on bags, both hold bags and cabin bags, so it will depend on destination. It also makes it harder to do a precise comparison.

There’s still not that much in it, a random search for a flight to Alicante in August says the hold bag is £36 each way compared to £33 each way for the cabin bag. That ties in with my experience too and from the IOM, there’s usually a quid or two in it at most.

That said, EasyJet are now a little bit different to the other budget airlines though. They’re really pushing the EasyJet Holidays now, and Holidays bookings include a free 23kg hold bag per person (presumably to fit in line with their main competitor Jet2) which means the baggage handling costs are already there.

Check in ussually takes much longer than security
Nah it doesn’t. I check bags with EasyJet fairly regularly and it’s very efficient with the big banks of self check-in machines. A few minutes at most.

Security, especially at Manchester, is rather different.

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member
EasyJet do use dynamic pricing on bags, both hold bags and cabin bags, so it will depend on destination. It also makes it harder to do a precise comparison.

There’s still not that much in it, a random search for a flight to Alicante in August says the hold bag is £36 each way compared to £33 each way for the cabin bag. That ties in with my experience too and from the IOM, there’s usually a quid or two in it at most.

That said, EasyJet are now a little bit different to the other budget airlines though. They’re really pushing the EasyJet Holidays now, and Holidays bookings include a free 23kg hold bag per person (presumably to fit in line with their main competitor Jet2) which means the baggage handling costs are already there.

My last flight with Easyjet would have cost me £38 for a check in bag for a three hour flight! I remember thinking it was a rip off.

The big difference with EasyJet Holidays customers is that they are very likely to need hold luggage. They are not staying with friends, at their holiday home or renting an apartment with a washing machine. Few will be taking a very short holiday.

Nah it doesn’t. I check bags with EasyJet fairly regularly and it’s very efficient with the big banks of self check-in machines. A few minutes at most.

Security, especially at Manchester, is rather different.

To be honest I haven't checked in a bag with EasyJet for years and am probably scared by 30+ minute check in queues for long haul flights.

Airline Man

Excess hand luggage is a pretty common cause for flight delays, too many passengers turn up at the gate with huge carry ons that won’t fit into the overhead luggage locker, which then have to be checked in and put into the hold.

Of course no frills airlines look at this as yet another revenue stream but bullying customers to try not to take hand luggage on a plane by hitting them hard does help with on time departures and fast turnarounds.

I really however don’t feel comfortable with charging for all these add ons which on,y a few years ago were taken as granted.