• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spain Passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyreneenguy

I'm after some advice on the use of the various Spain passes available. I want maximum flexibilty so I don't mind paying a premium. I also appreciate the comfort / space / quiet of 'Preferente'.

Do the various First Class passes ( Interrail One Country Pass / Premium Pass / Spain Pass) give access to First Class lounges ? Will they also provide me with meals and drinks ?

Apart from the Spain Premium Pass, I realise that I will have to pay for the the necessary reservations. Does anyone have experience of this ? In reality, can one just turn up shortly before a departure and reserve at the station, places being available, of course ?

I know I cannot expect gourmet cuisine, but does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of what is provided on the A.V.E 's and other long-distance services ?

I will be joining the ranks of seniors soon and will have the time for a number of short-trips throughout the year, to Spain and elsewhere. Any useful tips for 'Senior Travellers' ?

Thank-you

Andy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Get the Tarjeta Dorada when you are eligible (60).
25-40% off regular fares (not cheap advances - Promo). Only €6 for a year.
Unfortunately you need the card number to book tickets online, and you can only get one from a Renfe station.
Their London office used to issue them as e-tickets for €10, but the office is now closed.

Last edited:

Pyreneenguy

Thank-you for that.

As my pseudo implies, I'm not very far from the Pyrénées and the Spanish region of Aragon, so obtaining the 'Gold Card' won't pose too many problems. Funnily enough, I've never taken the train from my nearest railhead, Canfranc, towards Huesca and Zaragoza. The huge station at Canfranc handles just two departures daily. The line through the long Somport tunnel to France is unlikely to be reopened but the section from Oloron to Bedous reopened in 2016, however the OLE has been removed.

Perhaps food for thought : RENFE electrified the line as far as Huesca to allow a direct AVE service to Madrid, just one return service daily ( current timetable).

dutchflyer

Established Member
There are 2 types, but I really DK if both are also for 1st.
Interrail-either the global or 1-counbtry-both also have 1st and discounted for junior+senior.
RENFE itself offers not really an unlimited pass, but for 8/12/ etc. nr of long-dist rides, its all cyber-visrtual, you just get a code with which to reserve trips-that shoulsd be able to do on any of its big long-dist local automats.
ANY pref. ticket (with IR you usually have to show such a REServation) allows entry to their lounges, ONLY 1 or 2 hrs before the stated dep. AFAIK they only offer some non-alco drinks there and spanish newspprs. Others may be better informed.
NOTE; IR-users (but in 2nd/turista) very OFTEN complain that RENFE is ''sold out'' for their wished trains, esp. in pak summertime. This may be less so for 1st. The altern is to prebook with big discounts on renfe all long-dist trips-thus forfeiting the flexibility. Again read seat61 for detailed practical info. Itssaid to often better book online via loco2.com (but you pay GBP for the same € amounts)

Pyreneenguy

Thank-you dutchflyer.

As I'm paying in Euros I'll use the RENFE site.

Most of my travelling will be outside the main holiday periods so once I benefit from the 'Tarjeta Dorada' I'll reserve and pay on the day or the day before.

The RENFE pass would be useful for seeing the whole country in a week or so but I'll be taking things a lot slower !

Hefty reservation charges imposed on Interrail users are making it more and more unattractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.