• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spain's answer to "The Railways: Keeping Britain on Track" (Youtube video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Came across this video on RENFE's youtube channel, originally a RTVE documentary.

[youtube]YBWBChCRzfk[/youtube]

Quite a good video covering a lot of aspects of the Spanish railway system in an hour.
Unfortunately it's only in Spanish without subtitles and they do speak quite fast so not really accessible to all, but you can pick bits up with an average level of Spanish I'm sure.

One point from it, does anything similar happen in the UK to the guy who went on the platform with the red pole and hat to the trains going through non-stop?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
One point from it, does anything similar happen in the UK to the guy who went on the platform with the red pole and hat to the trains going through non-stop?

No. In UK practice train control is the responsibility of the signallers only, whereas in traditional European practice, as I understand it, the ultimate authority is what we used to call the Stationmaster - even for non-stopping trains.

CC 72100

Established Member
Unfortunately it's only in Spanish without subtitles and they do speak quite fast so not really accessible to all, but you can pick bits up with an average level of Spanish I'm sure.

Although for those of us who do and are wanting to take a different angle on 'revision', it's ideal ;)

In all seriousness though, thanks for posting the link, always interesting to see how things are done on the continent, especially as I've not experienced Spanish railways myself.

No. In UK practice train control is the responsibility of the signallers only, whereas in traditional European practice, as I understand it, the ultimate authority is what we used to call the Stationmaster - even for non-stopping trains.

Interesting. Could he if needed go out onto the platform and stop the train for whatever reason?

Established Member
The "pole" is actually a furled red flag and holding it aloft appears to be an authority to proceed. I have only seen this in Portugal and Spain where there is "traditional" signalling, in other countries where the station "chief" still controls movements they merely stand on the platform and observe non-stopping trains or dispatch stopping ones (might or might not use a baton or similar device).

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It is a means of watching the passing train , with a furled red flag ready for immediate use if anything wrong is spotted with the train(s) - very traditional , you see it in Eastern Europe also,

HST Power

Established Member
Although for those of us who do and are wanting to take a different angle on 'revision', it's ideal ;)

So lucky, I wanted to do Spanish but I got put on the German course instead, hardest language I've ever had to learn by far!

It is a means of watching the passing train , with a furled red flag ready for immediate use if anything wrong is spotted with the train(s) - very traditional , you see it in Eastern Europe also,

Very interesting way of doing things. I wonder if I will see it on my trip to Italy via France.
You'd have thought they could get rid of it in Spain, since they have the most modern fleet of trains in Europe so surely have computers to tell them of faults :p though with their unemployment figures it's probably better to keep these people in jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.