• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aar0

Kings Cross to Newcastle, Mid-late December, no real care about the time of train (although an afternoon one is preferable as I'll be coming up from South Wales).

Thanks again

pemma

Veteran Member
Anyone know if the £5 off applies to only EMT journeys or can it be used against journeys with another operator?

I tried adding £21 worth of tickets to a basket with £14 of which valid for a journey including EMT services and the site didn't give an option to apply a PIN.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I tried adding £21 worth of tickets to a basket with £14 of which valid for a journey including EMT services and the site didn't give an option to apply a PIN.

I asked them this on Twitter yesterday and their answer was pretty much any ticket

Anyone know if the £5 off applies to only EMT journeys or can it be used against journeys with another operator?

I finally received my code this afternoon and the T&C on the email says the code will only work if the origin or destination is St Pancras, but it also says "the PIN will not work if the basket value is less than £10," yet the email says £20.

Scotty

I finally received my code this afternoon and the T&C on the email says the code will only work if the origin or destination is St Pancras, but it also says "the PIN will not work if the basket value is less than £10," yet the email says £20.

My email does not mention that the journey has to involve St Pancras.

"We’ll be drawing the lucky person’s name from our big hat on 28th Aug 2017. While you’re waiting to see if you’re a winner, here’s £5 off when you spend £20 or more on your next journey with us."

The online T&Cs mention: "If the offer is valid for London journeys only, is London St Pancras International either the origin or destination of the journey"

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Voucher can be used on any journey between any 2 EMT stations and for a return, only one leg needs to be EMT. I think they could have clarified it a bit better, but it's still an excellent offer :D

General Zod

Does anyone know more details of the forthcoming Scotrail Special Offer / Sale. I received this tempter emai from them recently.

34jc178.png

Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
As regards Scotrail's "A Million Ways to say Thank You", the announcements yesterday indicated that this would be going live this Wednesday (6 September 2017).

Cletus

Established Member
Another one of those Southeastern offers. Can't remember when the last one was I could actually make use of :(
https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/destinations-and-offers/hidden-gems/summer-hidden-gems

*Terms and Conditions

Thousands of advance purchase Off-Peak day return train tickets:

From £10 on Southeastern trains from London Terminals and Stratford International to Broadstairs, Chatham, Deal, Dover, Faversham, Folkestone Central, Folkestone West, Margate, Ramsgate, and Whitstable
From £15 on Southeastern trains from London Terminals to Hastings and St Leonards Warrior Square and West St Leonards
Travel between 5 September and 1 October 2017
Tickets can be bought any time up until 6pm the day before the date of travel, up to 30 September. Tickets are available for purchase online and at staffed Southeastern stations. To find out which Southeastern stations are staffed, please search for your specific station and view the General Information section
You cannot break up and resume your journey
50% off travel for children
Kids for a Quid not valid in conjunction with these promotional fares
No Groupsave or Railcard discounts
Tickets are non refundable

Valid for outward travel between Monday to Friday departing between 10am and 2pm, and return travel on the same day departing after 2pm
Valid for same day outward and return travel anytime on Saturday and Sunday
London Terminals includes Blackfriars, Cannon Street, Charing Cross, London Bridge, Victoria, St Pancras International and Waterloo East stations
Also available (at the same price) from all 59 local Southeastern stations in Zones 1-6

Mister Ed

Great Western Railway has a promotion on “selected GWR Standard Class Advance Single fares” bought through its own website for travel up to 8 December 2017. It is available to everyone with a senior, disabled or HM forces railcard. However, it works only if one starts by entering www.gwr.com/senior1 (which has further details) rather than directly into www.gwr.com

The website claims a discount of 50% but it actually consists of 34% off the undiscounted fare then 16% off the regular fare using these railcards, so works out at about 45% off but still worth considering.

Kite159

Veteran Member
As regards Scotrail's "A Million Ways to say Thank You", the announcements yesterday indicated that this would be going live this Wednesday (6 September 2017).

Seems to be an off-peak day returns ticket giveaway for selected routes:
https://thankyou.scotrail.co.uk/

Although judging by the reaction on Twitter the website keeps crashing due to high demand

I've just managed to pick up a day return to Galashiels from Edinburgh for the 11th November, although some of the routes were a bit odd (who wants to go from Glasgow to Coatbridge!)

Last edited:

theshillito

Seems to be an off-peak day returns ticket giveaway for selected routes:
https://thankyou.scotrail.co.uk/

Although judging by the reaction on Twitter the website keeps crashing due to high demand

I've just managed to pick up a day return to Galashiels from Edinburgh for the 11th November, although some of the routes were a bit odd (who wants to go from Glasgow to Coatbridge!)

The excluded dates (7 - 22 October) are the exact period I'm in Scotland... :neutral:

Established Member
I've got an Edinburgh to Broughty Ferry Return and a Perth to Inverness return. I assume Break of Journey will be permitted? There's nothing to expressly prohibit it-and the tickets comply with the NRCoT.

MKD

Great Western Railway has a promotion on “selected GWR Standard Class Advance Single fares” bought through its own website for travel up to 8 December 2017. It is available to everyone with a senior, disabled or HM forces railcard. However, it works only if one starts by entering www.gwr.com/senior1 (which has further details) rather than directly into www.gwr.com

The website claims a discount of 50% but it actually consists of 34% off the undiscounted fare then 16% off the regular fare using these railcards, so works out at about 45% off but still worth considering.

What a deceitful promotion! I too tried various Advance fares via their special link without a Railcard (ie 100%), with a non-Senior railcard (ie c34% off), and with Senior ie c45% off and NOT 50% at all!

Though having been on the end of their pathetic Delay Repay performance I wasn't expecting GWR would fulfil their promises.

I have made a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority about this misleading promotion!

If you don't believe GWR should be allowed to lie to us Seniors in this way you also may like to complain
https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

Leisurefirst

Well I got an e-mail form VT today giving me 20% off...

It's been a while since we took you to Manchester Piccadilly, and we'd love to see you again - so we're giving you 20% off your next journey! We've made some great additions since your last trip too! So have a little book.

I have never been to Manchester by VT or any other means!

NORMAN471

does anyone know if the Northern Rail £10 offer is due to be on again this Autumn?

Yes, just been told about it today.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpress

However it states that 3 tokens are required on this occasion. The links to the forms take you to the ones showing the June and July 2017 dates, so may need amendments, as offer is not yet active.

Offer runs Mon 25th Sept to Sun 26th Nov, excluding period 21st October to 5th November 2017

yorksrob

Veteran Member

However it states that 3 tokens are required on this occasion. The links to the forms take you to the ones showing the June and July 2017 dates, so may need amendments, as offer is not yet active.

Offer runs Mon 25th Sept to Sun 26th Nov, excluding period 21st October to 5th November 2017

And as usual, they manage to exclude the weekend that my friends are visiting.

Still, useful info.

firespire

On Twitter they say it's operational now at stations & on trains

https://twitter.com/ArrivaTW/status/908628476365860865

It isn't on currently the website at the time of writing but google cache holds some details of when it was -

From £26 return
Who can travel with an Arriva Club 55 ticket?

Anyone aged 55 and over can travel with an Arriva Club 55 ticket. Just remember to carry proof of age when you travel as you may be requested to show this during your journey. We only accept valid, original documents from the following list: passport, driving licence, Senior Railcard or birth certificate. Bus passes are not accepted. Customers who are unable or refuse to provide proof of age on request will be required to purchase a new ticket as if no Arriva Club 55 ticket is held at the full standard fare. No credit will be given for the Arriva Club 55 ticket originally issued.

When can I travel using an Arriva Club 55 ticket?

Arriva Club 55 tickets are a special offer and only available for sale and travel from Wednesday 6th September 2017. Outward travel is only permitted on the date shown on the ticket. The return journey must take place within 8 days, the first day being the outward travel date printed on the ticket. The last day of sale and outward travel will be Wednesday 1st November 2017 inclusive. All return travel must be completed by Wednesday 8th November 2017.

Where can I travel?

You can travel throughout the Arriva Trains Wales network (blue coloured routes on the map overleaf) on Arriva Trains Wales services only. In addition, travel can be made on the services of specific rail operators only on the purple, green, orange, and dark green coloured routes shown on the map overleaf. Payment of the applicable ‘add-on’ fare will be required. Add-on fares are only available in conjunction with the purchase of an Arriva Club 55 ticket and cannot be sold separately. Add-on fares are only available to customers extending their journey off the ATW network.

Where can I buy an Arriva Club 55 ticket?

Arriva Club 55 products are available to buy from any rail station ticket office (during opening hours) and online at www.arrivatrains.wales/55. Only where there is no opportunity to buy prior to travel, tickets may be purchased from staff on-board trains.

Are there any restrictions on use?

Yes. Travel using a Club 55 ticket is not permitted before 0930 Monday to Friday. There are no travel restrictions on Saturday or Sunday. Travel is not permitted on services arriving into London Marylebone before 1000, or departing from London Marylebone between 1600 and 1900 (Monday-Friday). Travel is not permitted using Arriva Club 55 tickets for journeys to/from or via Cardiff on Saturday 28th October due to a major sporting event taking place in Cardiff.

Do I need to book in advance?

No, you can buy on the day of travel. Arriva Club 55 tickets can also be bought in advance of your departure date at any time within the offer period. You must buy before boarding any train where facilities exist for you to do so.

Can I break my journey?

Yes, break of journey is permitted with your Arriva Club 55 ticket. Any break of journey must be consistent with the travel dates and restrictions applicable to the ticket purchased.

What if I change my travel plans?

The date of outward travel may only be changed prior to the date shown on the ticket. An administrative fee of £10 will be charged for this change. A full refund, less administrative fee of £10, will be granted where both outward and return portions are unused until 28 days after the date of outward validity. All changes on or after the date of outward travel printed on the ticket will be treated as a refund and a new ticket will need to be purchased. Any change of date must be within the Arriva Club 55 offer period. We regret that there are no refunds available for part used tickets.

Last edited:

danbushell

The right forms are online now but it does state 3 tokens needed from the Johnston Press newspapers and only 2 tokens needed from the Trinity Mirror newspapers-would ticket office staff realise if you used Johnston Press tokens on a Trinity Mirror form??

theshillito

I've found my old spare tokens from last time, so I'm hoping the design hasn't changed. Going to try and get a paper (or 10) after work.

EDIT: Changes to the form since last time:
  • No longer requires postcode on the form, but possibly these details are sent to Trinity Mirror online instead of on the form this time
  • requires you fill the date, departing station, etc on the website, then generates the form for you (before, you could print a bunch of forms, then fill them in as and when)
  • token boxes appear to be portrait, but this might just be to account for a third one on Johnston Press forms in the same amount of space

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I've found my old spare tokens from last time, so I'm hoping the design hasn't changed. Going to try and get a paper (or 10) after work.

• No longer requires postcode on the form, but possibly these details are sent to Trinity Mirror online instead of on the form this time
  • requires you fill the date, departing station, etc on the website, then generates the form for you (before, you could print a bunch of forms, then fill them in as and when)
  • token boxes appear to be portrait, but this might just be to account for a third one on Johnston Press forms in the same amount of space

Just print out a form, tippex out the date, make multiple copies and just fill in the date in pen for each date you require. Surely no ticket office would be pedantic enough to refuse to issue a ticket if the date in handwritten?

theshillito

Just print out a form, tippex out the date, make multiple copies and just fill in the date in pen for each date you require. Surely no ticket office would be pedantic enough to refuse to issue a ticket if the date in handwritten?

Well, yes, there is that. That's on top of Crewe ticket office staff trying to refuse to sell it because they're "not on the Northern network" :lol:

BlueFox

The last couple of times you were supposed to fill in the details on the website, it's not a new thing.
But there wasn't any kind of check to see if what you entered was valid, just that there was at least one character in each box. A space counts as a character, so you could just put spaces on the form, then handwrite the date and station when you wanted to use it.
I've done that for at least five of these tickets (bought at Carlisle, Preston and Crewe stains) without any problems.