WMWMWM

Special Offers Discussion

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 27 Feb 2011.

1. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

When I use the link in the email it doesn't give me the discounted fares. When I do it on my mobile it does work. So there's clearly a problem with their system, in addition to the idiots not reading the small print.

2. palmersears

palmersears Member

None of the links in any of my three different emails worked, in the end their Twitter team had to send me another link which did register the discount.

Used it to great effect to get my trip down to Exeter and Bristol for under £30, which is nice.

3. tago

tago New Member

It’s hard to tell. There are so few discounted journeys available......

4. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

I have a Crosscountry 50% off code and a 25% off code available, PM me if you want one.

5. mildertduck

mildertduck Member

Email from Grand Central:

6. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

Apparently usable in combination with railcards.

7. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

FYI I noticed on my Virgin Red app earlier it is now VTEC giving a one off 30% discount. A few dates excludes but seems the usual "no further railcard discount" rule applies.

8. Merseysider

GWR are offering 5% cashback in Nectar points on their own Advance fares booked via a link on your Nectar account.

As an example, an £11.20 ticket earns 110 points. (2 points = 1p)

9. palmersears

palmersears Member

Given I'm currently stuck in the non man's land between YP railcard and senior railcard (and indeed will be for another 30 years or so!) I'm actually quite glad for these codes!

The VTEC one will be a bit tricky to use I would imagine, might save it for a trip to Edinburgh for the weekend with the wife next year, even though it'd mean a prolonged trek via Sheffield and Doncaster.

The VTWC one however has been used to great effect to get a full day in London (arrive 0726, depart 2140) for under £40, which is a result.

10. ScotTrains

ScotTrains Member

Like you I've also got 30 odd years before I'm classed as senior!
    Have you considered the TwoTogether railcard? It can be had for £15 in Tesco vouchers and covers two people (perhaps you and your wife). One journey can easily recover all the railcard cost. Also, some companies (eg TPEx) allow railcard discount on top of their half price sale tickets.

11. palmersears

palmersears Member

Used to have one when we lived in London, but now we're back up North and have a car we rarely take the train anywhere together as all our friends live in places it's easier to drive/fly to (Brecon, High Wycombe, Vienna!). Mostly it's just me travelling around the country doing some spotting on my own so codes like this enable me to get to Scotland/London for a reasonable price.

12. ashworth

ashworth Established Member

I had my 60th birthday last year and so the wait is over!
    Actually those of us who have reached 60 recently have had to wait almost 40 years in no man’s land! The 18 to 25 Railcard was not available in its current form in the mid 1970s. It was then the Student Railcard which was no longer valid when you began working, as I did at 21. Those who did not go to college or university, and worked from the age of 16 had no Railcard. To be really honest I never had a Student Railcard when I was at college, as my dad worked on the railway as a driver and so I was lucky, as a dependent to enjoy Privilege Ticket travel. That was a real shock to lose when I began working. I’m not sure that I want to be 60 but I’m enjoying the Railcard.

13. richardderby

richardderby Member

This is still giving 30% off VTEC advances for any travel during January 2018 if it helps....

14. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Member

Based on previous years, VTEC usually have a seat sale round about this time of year for travel in January & February. No guarantees of course but it might be worth holding on till "Black" Friday (24 November) to see if anything is announced.

15. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Member

16. Romilly

Romilly Established Member

But my experience suggests that it can only be used once per customer account.

17. Merseysider

Half price Northern Advance fares in January with the code NORTH50.

May or may not work with railcards; I haven't got time to check right now.

Available until 14/12/17

18. richardderby

richardderby Member

how right you are cap' haddock, VTEC sale starts Monday, 50% off 1st/ Std advances again, travel until March 2nd 2018.
    300,000 tickets at HALF PRICE on journeys across the east coast
    https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/abou...th-virgin-trains-half-price-seat-sale-2283280

Last edited: 18 Nov 2017 at 15:37
  19. westv

westv Established Member

I'll faint if this VTEC sale has anything for me. It's been a long time since I got anything from one.

20. Merseysider

500 bonus Nectar points on qualifying VTEC 50% sale tickets if booked via your Nectar account.

21. peri

peri Member

I've tried this but it keeps saying the dates are outside the permitted dates.

22. hawk1911

hawk1911 Member

Same here.

23. BigCj34

BigCj34 Member

I was looking for a ticket from Colchester to Edinburgh on February 3, found nothing on the Saturday morning initially, so I booked a discounted fare from King's Cross. When I looked again there was a cheap fare, going via Peterborough. I booked it as well, then tried to apply for a refund for the Kings Cross journey. I saw something on the VTEC website that bookings could be cancelled if done so within 2 hours of booking, will I have any chance of succeeding?

24. hawk1911

hawk1911 Member

Looks like its working now.

However, it cannot be used in conjunction with railcards and, for the journeys I was looking at, I can do more or less the same price with 'alternative' on the day tickets, combined with a railcard.

So, I'm out.

25. JaJaWa

JaJaWa Established Member

That might be an offer

26. rg177

rg177 Established Member

It is indeed BUT you're only allowed to specify 'am' or 'pm' trains and then 48 hours before they surprise you with a timed train!

Useless for anyone who has to be somewhere by a certain time but may prove useful for more flexible travellers.