• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Nectar are offering 1000 bonus points to customers who book in the Virgin Trains (West Coast) sale. Offer may only appear if you're a recent customer of VT.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
TransPennine Express Sale

Travel: Friday 25th November 2017 until Thursday 29th March 2018 (22 December 2017 to Monday 1 January 2018 excluded).
Book: until the end of Monday 27 Setpember
Elligible: TransPennine-priced Advance tickets only. Railcard discount available

A special warning from me: if you click the link and select book, you will not be shown any fares but eligible Advance fares with a promotional 25% discount, including if ineligible Advance tickets (such as Virgin Trains ones) or a flexible ticket (such as an Off-Peak Return) are cheaper than the sale tickets. You are advised therefore to use another website to check your journey (I prefer Hull Trains).

Edit: Several different links
https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/special-offers/black-friday-discount
http://click.i.tpexpress.co.uk/?qs=...6e901c68df01c5785a4741adde71eeaa5394dcff8f606
http://tickets.tpexpress.co.uk/tpe/en/landing/promotion.aspx?id=BlackFriday&isAllowed=True

and I don't know if any are actually working.

Links don't seem to be working yet. I've tried booking tickets both on your links and other TOCs' websites and the advance fares are exactly the same.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Have TPE thought this through?
Transpennine Express Sale said:
So, whether you fancy a mooch at the Christmas markets in Manchester, spending NYE in Edinburgh or a trip to Newcastle in the new year, here’s your chance to buy cheap train tickets.
Transpennine Express T&C said:
Tickets must be for travel between Friday 25 November 2017 to Thursday 29 March 2018 exclusive of Friday 22 December 2017 to Monday 1 January 2018 (inclusive)

jrh2254

East Midlands Black Friday Sale
Over 50,000 1st class tickets for £15
To/From London
Book between 22nd and 28 Nov
Anyone else received a discount code?

jrh2254

Terms are :
Black Friday Sale

£15 First Class Advance Single fares are available to purchase between 22nd – 28th November 2017 for travel on selected services to/from Sheffield, Chesterfield, Derby, Nottingham, East Midlands Parkway, Loughborough, Leicester and London St Pancras until 16th February 2018. Offer only valid when unique code on your leaflet or email is entered online at the East Midlands Trains website link provided. Invite only. Excludes Railcard discounts. £15 First Class advance single fares are limited and subject to availability.

extendedpaul

Terms are :
Black Friday Sale

£15 First Class Advance Single fares are available to purchase between 22nd – 28th November 2017 for travel on selected services to/from Sheffield, Chesterfield, Derby, Nottingham, East Midlands Parkway, Loughborough, Leicester and London St Pancras until 16th February 2018. Offer only valid when unique code on your leaflet or email is entered online at the East Midlands Trains website link provided. Invite only. Excludes Railcard discounts. £15 First Class advance single fares are limited and subject to availability.
I wonder how they decide who should receive these codes ? I've travelled three times on EMT in 2017 using advance fares including one first class journey but haven't been offered this and with up to 50,000 promo seats available I would have hoped to get a code. Disappointing.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Sometimes that is deliberate, they may want to try and attract back people who have travelled in the past, but not recently, rather than people who travel regularly anyway.

sheff1

Established Member
I wonder how they decide who should receive these codes ? .
I received a flyer through the letterbox.

Is it a generic code or unique to everyone?

When I attempted to use the code I got a message saying it was no longer valid/had already been used (can't remember the exact wording) which made me think the code was not unique.

ashworth

Established Member
Sometimes that is deliberate, they may want to try and attract back people who have travelled in the past, but not recently, rather than people who travel regularly anyway.

That's unfortunately probably true. So many companies these days offer great prices to new customers but do not reward long term customers. Sky TV are good example of this.
I didn't receive this email offer, yet I book online with EMT at least half a dozen times every year.

pemma

Veteran Member
Has anyone else found Nectar bonus points from Virgin (West Coast) promotions haven't been appearing within 28 days of the offer expiry date?

BigCj34

Has anyone else found Nectar bonus points from Virgin (West Coast) promotions haven't been appearing within 28 days of the offer expiry date?

Yes. I tend to save a PDF of the offer page so I can show it as proof on the Nectar online chat.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, every single time. The Nectar team on Twitter are always happy to apply the points though if I send them a screenshot of the offer.

trevmonk

Expedia cashback rate via Quidco for rail tickets is up to 4% for next 6 days. The booking engine isn't the most sophisticated but you can pick up tickets immediately and the cashback seems to pay out fairly promptly .

westv

Established Member
I have only just realised that Hull Trains no longer offer Nectar points and haven't done so since May. :oops:

Nice of them to not bother telling me! I only noticed when I had a look at my Nectar statement and saw no entries for HTs!

pemma

Veteran Member
I have only just realised that Hull Trains no longer offer Nectar points and haven't done so since May. :oops:

Nice of them to not bother telling me! I only noticed when I had a look at my Nectar statement and saw no entries for HTs!

Unless you buy tickets which are only available from the HT website, buy them from TPE instead and you'll still get the Nectar points.

westv

Established Member
Unless you buy tickets which are only available from the HT website, buy them from TPE instead and you'll still get the Nectar points.
I wasn't thinking that but I prefer the Print@home choice. I think I've missed about £13 worth of points since they have gone. Not a huge amount but still annoying.

pemma

Veteran Member
Expedia cashback rate via Quidco for rail tickets is up to 4% for next 6 days. The booking engine isn't the most sophisticated but you can pick up tickets immediately and the cashback seems to pay out fairly promptly .

Just had a play around with it and noticed it includes Metrolink stops but only sells tickets to them from certain stations. Also apparently London Underground operate a service between Altrincham and Manchester via Old Trafford. :roll:

I13

According to a reply on Twitter, there will be a GWR sale starting January 4.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Virgin Trains East Coast now offer students 40% off even without a Railcard, via UNiDAYS (50% off introductory offer).

Book here and get 50% off Advance tickets
We love students. That's why we've teamed up with UNiDAYS, the home of student discounts, to get you a frankly gobsmacking 50% off Advance train tickets on selected Virgin Trains East Coast routes if you book before 11 February 2018 - and a not-to-be-sniffed-at 40% off if you book after.

All you have to do is prove you're a real student via the UNiDAYS tool below. You'll then get a unique discount code, which you can use on one booking made from this page.

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/travel-savings/unidays/

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Nice one! I think they could do with looking at this bit again though :lol:

VTEC said:
It’s for travel between 21 December 2017 and 31 August 2018, but there are some exceptions – it’s not available for travel from 21 December to 1 January 2018, 29 March to 3 April 2018, 4 May to 7 May 2018, 25 May to 3 June 2018 inclusive, or any time in August 2018.