Special Offers Discussion

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Member

Last edited: 14 Jan 2018
  2. peri

peri Member

Northern tokens are in the Hull Daily Mail today.
    This paper is part of the Trinity Mirror Group and they are only asking for two tokens.
    The bad news is the tokens have changed colour!
    All my hoard ruined.

3. 47802

47802 On Moderation

Indeed I had 6 old tokens, but just picked up a Yorkshire Evening Post and found the tokens have changed.

4. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Member

They have changed colour in the Yorkshire Evening Post too, unfortunately.

5. DaveB10780

DaveB10780 Member

I wonder whether JPress is the same and also whether it says anywhere that old tokens are invalid?

6. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Member

I believe some forum members have used old tokens in the past, as they have been changed at least once previously. I guess it depends very much on the member of staff behind the counter at the station.
    Does anyone know if the Yorkshire Evening Post is still being given free just before the barriers at Leeds station?

Last edited: 15 Jan 2018
  7. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

I have a link and PIN for anyone who wants a 30% discount on East Coast Advance fares. Not valid with railcards.

Edit: Taken

Last edited: 16 Jan 2018
  8. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

I have not seen it for several months.

9. Karl

Karl Member

I managed to successfully use three of the last tokens yesterday and save the new ones. I don't see why the old tokens should be invalid. I never buy the Lancashire Evening Post except when the tokens are issued. I've still got another 9 to hopefully use up.

These 2 tokens are from the LEP.

Northern Offer.jpg

10. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

One of the reasons for the offer is to sell more newspapers. If tokens from last time are used this defeats the objective.

11. Clip

Clip On Moderation

And to increase patronage but I agree that misuse of old tokens really does defeat the objective and it could lead to expiry dates being placed on the tokens and possibly with strict deadlines and people will only have themselves to blame.

12. crehld

crehld Established Member Associate Staff Senior Fares Advisor

For those of us using tokens from Trinity Mirror newspapers they are the same design as they have been for some time now, and look just like the tokens in Karl's picture. The colour does look slightly lighter than last time around, but to be honest no two tokens are ever the same colour anyway (I guess because of the quality of the printing).

13. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

If people are buying the papers just to stock up on tokens for the future, they are selling more newspapers.

14. DaveB10780

DaveB10780 Member

Quite and how else would you be able to buy them on Day 1?

15. kevconnor

kevconnor Member

I have a discount code on an email from EMT for £5 off tickets with EMT when spend over £20, need to book before 28th Jan and travel before 9th Feb. Any takers please let me know.

Offer taken

Last edited: 16 Jan 2018
  16. quill

quill New Member

re. the Northern tokens, yes, the design is different (before: 'Token', now '1 Token') and the colour too, but not radically so. I think if Northern really wanted to disallow use of old token they could have made the new ones more different, or, as someone mentioned, dated them. I suspect Northern just want to sell the tickets, so aren't that bothered. You may have noticed last time out when the two versus three distinction was introduced that the tokens in the JP titles were identical to the Trinity ones, so allowing, shall we say, 'creative' use of the apllication forms. Northern can't have been unaware of this.

17. roversfan2001

roversfan2001 Established Member

Another point is; is there actually anything that says the old tokens aren't valid? They weren't dated.

18. LeylandLen

LeylandLen Member

Surely 1 point of the promotion is to sell newspapers, so does it matter whether I bought extra newspapers last time or now, or purchased 5 copies of the same paper such as Lancs evening post on the same day?
    Also , the actual person selling the tickets should be happy to sell a ticket,unaware of different newspapers or dates etc .

19. cumbrianbill

cumbrianbill Member

Two old tokens used today, after the ticket agent had phoned a friend to find out how to issue the ticket. I'm wondering whether I'll be able to use the tickets on the "Scotrail" service between Carlisle and Newcastle.

20. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Should be able to as that is operated by Northern between Carlisle & Newcastle (and is normally staffed by Northern as well).

Good news that the old tokens can still be used, I might attempt to get a rover in a few weeks time when in Newcastle

21. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

I've used them on that service with no problem.

22. The Lad

The Lad Member

But not to Dumfries, sadly.

23. aelius

aelius Member

I was once delayed on a connection to Carlisle and had an Northern advance to Newcastle. I missed the booked train. You are allowed to get the next train of the same company. The next train was a Scotrail service and it said "Scotrail" on the display screens too. The station staff said I could use it and the Northern conductor on the train raised no problem. Not quite the same situation though.

24. Butts

Butts Established Member

Have gone insane booking trips in FGW First Class as their sales are few and far between.

Now have trips to London, Gloucester, Swindon and Swansea.

Booking all trips from Cardiff rather than my home Station of Newport so I can access the lounge prior to trips. On a couple adding on a Newport to Cardiff Anytime Day Return at £5.90 so I can get to the Lounge and stop short on the way back and get out of the barriers at Newport.

Almost like the old days in Scotland utilising Virgin East and West Coast 1st Class for a song .

Can't understand why people get excited about any offers on Northern - it has to be 1st Class for me :p

25. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

The old downgraded first class saloon on the 308's on a previous incarnation of Northern was good though !

26. cumbrianbill

cumbrianbill Member

No issues Carlisle to Newcastle. It's Scotrail as far as timetabling and the display boards at Carlisle, but the station announcer has it as a Northern service, and confirmed by the crew on board. A bit of a mish mash but an ok result.

27. Temple Meads

Temple Meads Established Member

Is there anyone out there who would be kind enough to send me two Northern offer tokens? I can cover purchase of the papers and postage through PayPal.

28. extendedpaul

extendedpaul Member

Tesco announced earlier in the week that the exchange rate for Clubcard Vouchers to Clubcard Rewards was being standardised at 3 times their value. That meant that a £5 of Tesco points would become worth £15 to spend with RedSpottedHanky on rail travel (or Megabus), up from £10. I thought that was excellent news though both were 4 times value when first introduced. "Unfortunately", due to a backlash from customers about restaurant and days out deals going down from 4 times value to 3 times, they've postponed the change till June. Assuming it does happen then it will make RedspottedHanky a decent option in my opinion, even with their £1 booking fee. Fingers crossed.

29. jrh2254

jrh2254 Member

That will be brilliant news if its true?
    Would be good to get this confirmed.
    Thanks.

30. ys123

ys123 Member