Special Offers Discussion

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 27 Feb 2011.

1. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

Somehow the terms and conditions have been updated to reference LNER but the same term (these are excluded) still says London Midland!

2. Karl

Karl Member

The website has been updated this morning.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/reachplc

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpress

I'm hoping to travel on the 24th so hope the forms are available to print before then. Luckily the Lancashire Evening Post is available around 8am so I'm able to purchase three copies to use that day.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2018
  3. alexf380

alexf380 Member

Ah brilliant, I'll check back next Monday then. Cheers!

4. splashoutradio

splashoutradio Member

To those of you that are lucky enough to qualify for a 16-25 Railcard, I've just had an email with a discount code for £5 off a yearly card. It's valid until the 25th September, and looks to be valid for use by anyone (although i'm happy to be corrected on this). The code is "STUDENTSAVER18" (without the quotations marks)

5. skifans

skifans Member

And speaking of the above offer. GWR are offering 50% off advance tickets as well as bonus nectar points to HM forces or 16-25 railcard holders: https://www.gwr.com/destinations-and-events/offers/student

Its for tickets purchased Friday 14 September 2018 until 23:59 on Saturday 22 September 2018 and valid to travel from Saturday 15 September 2018 to Sunday 9 December 2018 inclusive but with a handful of exceptions.

6. Karl

Karl Member

Last edited: 24 Sep 2018
  7. quill

quill New Member

Anyone know if the Yorkshire Evening Post is still distributed outside Leeds station?

8. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Member

Just picked up some Yorkshire Evening Posts this morning and they've changed the tokens again. They're exactly the same size and design but have the text "AUTUMN RAIL OFFER 2018" at the bottom instead of "SUMMER RAIL OFFER 2018". Whether or not this means you can't use any leftover summer tokens this time round, I don't know; probably depends on how observant the ticket officer staff are.

Oh and in answer to quill, I don't think they still give away the Yorkshire Evening Post for free of an afternoon. It now costs 84p, meaning that effectively the cost of a Northern Day Ranger is now £12.46. Still good value I reckon, so long as you don't want to trave on a saturday!

9. skifans

skifans Member

Anyone know if you can tell the date for the week commencing ones? For example the star (Sheffield) is a daily paper but only shows week commencing dates, is it in all of them or am I missing something?

Last edited: 25 Sep 2018
  10. marcouk2

marcouk2 Member

Yeah the Star/Evening Post will be in all of them for 3 weeks

11. skifans

skifans Member

Thank you

12. clagmonster

clagmonster Established Member

13. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

14. ChiefPlanner

ChiefPlanner Established Member

15. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

Although I can't partake due to other plans, that's a really good offer, thanks for sharing.

16. Leisurefirst

Leisurefirst Member

Super Saturday sounds familiar... 1538260441038-1871441979.jpg

Last edited: 29 Sep 2018
  17. Leisurefirst

Leisurefirst Member

Awww, (adopts Louis Walsh voice)...
    "You remind me of a little Network Day."

18. trevmonk

trevmonk Member

Topcashback are currently offering 4% cashback on Loco2 purchases - apparently both for UK and European tickets. No booking fees and collect with any card. Quidco are offering 3% for the same retailer at the moment.

19. 433N

433N Member

I have 2 tokens left from this promotion earlier in the year (from the Journal which I think was Trinity Press at the time) which I didn't use.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to get away with using these ?

20. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Best bet would be to use a non-Northern managed ticket office on the Northern network as the ticket seller in there might not have received the memo. But even then it will be 50/50 if the seller doesn't see the tokens say "summer" on.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2018
  21. alex17595

alex17595 Member

I threw my old ones away yesterday because they said 'summer 2018' on them and I assumed they wouldn't be accepted. Last time I had to make the trip to Cheadle to get a bunch of vouchers.

22. 433N

433N Member

Thanks Kite and Alex.

I should have looked and seen that they were tagged as Summer 2018 - I just vaguely remembered a discussion last time around that the first date of travel was before you could have possibly collected the tokens and someone suggesting that you could use them from the previous promotion.

Obvs that's not true any more.

It's not easy getting the (Newcastle) Journal in Edinburgh !

23. roversfan2001

roversfan2001 Established Member

I'm planning on using a token from spring 2016 and one from autumn 2017 tomorrow (yes, I've been planning on buying this ticket for 2 and a half years and never had the chance); neither of them have dates on so hopefully they're accepted.

24. trevmonk

trevmonk Member

Now that Loco2 have dropped their cashback rate on Topcashback to 1% for existing customers I thought I would try GoEuro who are offering a generous 6% cashback today. Like Loco2 they also sell tickets across Europe and within the UK. Unfortunately their booking system is unusable, at least for UK purchases. It's not possible to select a time when entering a search, only the date and the results only show departures for the next hour. Trying to buy a return seems to offer you a single and the currency seems to flip to Euros at random. I would be interested if anyone else has managed to book anything with them.

25. peri

peri Member

Had an email from LNER with very limited offers :-

York to Newcastle £9.70 one-way
    Darlington to Edinburgh £20.00 one-way
    York to London £22.00 one-way

Terms & conditions:
    *For the routes promoted there are a total of 32,400 seats still available at this price
    6 weeks in advance of travel, subject to availability. Seat availability is as follows:
    York to Newcastle 9,200, Darlington to Edinburgh 18,800, York to London 4,400.

26. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

I’m not sure why LNER think that’s a special offer, I’ve been buying fares at that price all year

27. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

Have they claimed it's a special offer or just a promotion of available fares?

28. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

I've had the same email (but for different journeys), and there's nothing in it to suggest it's anything other than the normal advance tickets.