Special Offers Discussion

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member

The offer is intended only for O2 customers...

2. James H

James H Member

In addition to the MSE Skyscanner offer, if you haven't used the app before, you can also use code BT3 to get £3 off any train ticket over £5

3. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

RedSpottedHanky's loyalty points scheme is to end soon. Any unused points must be redeemed by 31st December 2018.

4. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

That's not quite how I read it:

5. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

They sent two emails to customers on Monday. One about Tesco, and one about the loyalty scheme.
    The loyalty scheme one said "RedSpottedHanky will not be continuing their loyalty points scheme into 2019. If you have loyalty points with us, don't worry, you have until the New Year to redeem them. Get the most out of your remaining points and redeem them all to use on your next journey."

6. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

I quite clearly said "RedSpottedHanky's loyalty points scheme"

7. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Ah, ok. Quite confusing to be ending two schemes within a month of each other. I'll bet others get confused.

8. Mark J

Mark J Member

Why, oh why why can't Network Railcard holders have this "once in a while" perk anymore.

Seems every other railcard gives out "above and beyond" perks and special offers from time to time, except the old Network one.

9. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Only 3000 MSE Skyscanner sign ups so far almost a week after the offer went live - Martin Lewis was expecting to get the maximum 5000 within a day - maybe all the rail disruption and industrial action has killed off leisure travel.

10. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

I went to the site to get the code the moment it went live, expecting them to all go quickly.

But I found the app difficult to use. I couldn't find a way to buy multiple tickets in one transaction (the MSE site says you can, so maybe its just not obvious), so I ended up having to pay more, as I'd planned to split my tickets. I still saved some money but not as much as I could have done.

Then I went back to the app to buy another ticket using one of their other codes, and it kept saying my payment had failed, using the same card I'd used for the previous ticket. It worked when I used a different card.

11. BigCj34

BigCj34 Member

Amex cardholders appear to have £10 back from a £40 spend with Virgin. Worth checking the offers for this.

12. mb

mb Member

I agree with the Skyscanner app comments. The biggest issue for me was having no "via" option, which limits my use of it severely. You can't add multiple tickets to a basket and there is a serious bug with the search which simply says "there are no trains" if you search again after having previously bought a ticket.

Oh, and they still think dear old London Midland is still operating.

13. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Member

I think the offer hasn't been a success because booking tickets on a mobile phone app is fiddly, confusing and fraught with security issues. If Skyscanner want to attract new customers they should make their offers available through their website so anyone can access them regardless of whether they have a desktop, laptop or tablet.

14. ys123

ys123 Member

Received offer on Amex Gold card of £10 off £40 at virgintrains.co.uk
    Might be worthwhile to check your amex offers. (Remember to save the offer to your card in order to get the discount).

15. Bill Badger

Bill Badger Member

Note the T&Cs say it is only valid on Virgin Services - not clear if that includes connections or not

16. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

I went to pick up my tickets tonight, so I checked the booking confirmation emails to see if it said I needed to take the card I used to pay for the tickets, or if any card would do. But it just says "Please collect your tickets from the train station using your collection reference", no mention of needing to take a credit/debit card. Anyone not aware of the process could turn up without a card and be unable to collect their ticket.

It appears to be set to allow collection using any card. I had three tickets to collect, and used the same card to collect them all, even though two of them were paid for with a different card.

17. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

18. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

Great offer, but I'm struggling to get any £15 1st class fares to show up. Anybody else having issues?

19. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Member

The wording "East Midlands Trains has announced that rail passengers can grab a bargain this Black Friday with the sale of First Class tickets." seems to imply that the offer doesn't actually open until Friday (assuming this Friday is Black Friday, whatever that is).

EDIT: Looks like the offer doesn't start till Wednesday November 22 and you need to book through a mobile phone app. See link below;

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/east-midlands-trains-black-friday-803229

20. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

It says booking for these tickets started on 12th November.

'Tickets must be purchased between 12th November 2018 and midnight 26th November 2018. Tickets are subject to availability.'

21. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

22. richardderby

richardderby Member

23. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

Are you looking inside the specified date periods too?

24. richardderby

richardderby Member

Yes, £15 First Class January only, you need to pass through the quoted booking link..

25. BigCj34

BigCj34 Member

I received a 20% discount code for Virgin trains through my e-mail, others may have done too, discount valid for up to 2 people making a return trip on Advance tickets. Not sure if it includes connecting fares or is for routes exclusively served by Virgin. As I am unlikely to use it by Friday, and have a Railcard, PM me if you want it. (If posting this goes against the T's and C's please delete.)

26. Wolfie

Wolfie Established Member

Sent you a message

27. FQTV

FQTV Member

I got this too, booked and it gave completely different discount percentages on the outbound and inbound tickets, neither of which were anywhere near 20%.....

28. clagmonster

clagmonster Established Member

Likewise, if anybody wants mine PM by midnight when it expires and I'll send it across.

29. BluePenguin

BluePenguin Member

I have got a 30% discount code for Virgin trains. Unfortinately it can't be used with a railcard which is a shame

30. Gnasher11

Gnasher11 Member

Late to the party as always, MSE Skyscanner £5 off deal, can anyone provide the link? MSE Site links to item 5 which is about railcards, have all the codes gone?