Special Offers Discussion

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 27 Feb 2011.

1. superalbs

superalbs Established Member

The code was MSETRAIN and I tried to use it. No longer available, so I presume so.

2. richardderby

richardderby Member

https://www.lner.co.uk/sale#tab_2

this link has just appeared, does this mean LNER are finally having a sale! travel 4th Jan until March 2019 250,000 seats from just £5 in both 1st and std class. does not appear to be live yet, but sale finishes 23.59 on the 22nd November, so must be imminent... ;)

3. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Some good prices there.
    No "and connections" tickets that Virgin East Coast used to have in their sale offers, so limits me travelling from Dover :(

4. Scotty

Scotty Member

I just got an email about it.

https://www.lner.co.uk/sale/

Terms:
    1. Book by 23.59 on 22 November 2018 only at lner.co.uk/sale.
    2. For travel on London North Eastern Railway (LNER) train services only, Monday to Fridays inclusive, between 4 January and 1 March 2019.
    3. At least 250,000 tickets (150,000 standard and 100,000 First Class) will be made available for across the travel period and are subject to availability. All Saturday and Sunday LNER train services are excluded from the offer due to essential engineering works on the LNER east coast mainline, and there is limited availability on peak trains.
    4. No other offers or discounts can be applied, including Railcards or child discounts.
    5. No changes, no refunds and no break of journey permitted.

5. westv

westv Established Member

If it is live already then, once again, the Hull Executive has been left out of the sale. :rolleyes:

6. woody505

woody505 Member

Can't find any first class in the sale but loads of £10 standard

7. richardderby

richardderby Member

Just booked 1st class tickets their there, but probably still being loaded... :)

8. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

i can see lots of first class sale tickets, some on trains where there are no standard class sale tickets.

9. MrTurbostar170

MrTurbostar170 Member

10. northrob

northrob Member

That may be due to the fact that it's classed as a peak train in both directions where they state there is limited availability...

11. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

You've got to be kidding me. Bought Advance tickets for SWR just yesterday :(, something I do extraordinarily rarely. I suppose the upside is that, as usual, the 50% off is off the undiscounted fare, so given the Railcard discount I normally use, I "only" overpaid by 32%.

12. embers25

embers25 Established Member

I don't like condition 9 of the SWR offer: "In the event that the train(s) you have booked are cancelled due to industrial action, you may either travel on any train within 2 hours either side of your booked departure time, or claim a full refund for the journey booked." That's a huge retrograde step in my view as the 2 hour rule is very harsh given it's not travellers fault there are strikes.

13. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

It's actually more lenient than the usual NRCoT arrangements (and the NRCoT are explicitly stated as applying to any tickets purchased in the sale, anyway), where you would be permitted to take only the next available service by the same TOC as originally booked to take, or avail of alternative transport (or obtain a refund).

14. Blinkbonny

Blinkbonny Member

Snow-capped mountains, buzzing Christmas markets, crisp winter mornings. Scotland is a magical place in winter and this year you can discover it all for less with our Spirit of Scotland Winter Sale.

Until February 25th, you’ll get 20% off our Spirit of Scotland Rover, which for a set time allows unlimited travel all over Scotland by rail, ferry and coach. Use our route map to help you decide on destinations, or take some inspiration from our travel blog below.

Our Rovers are available online or in-station and there's no need to book ahead. So this winter, why not wrap up warm, head out and truly Unlock Scotland?

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/...utm_medium=email&dm_i=4ZH4,2S2U,1II8EK,8RIP,1

15. James H

James H Member

16. Leisurefirst

Leisurefirst Member

I can't get any promo King's Cross to Edinburgh tickets (wanted Glasgow actually) to come up even trying various different dates.
    They're listed as being £20 on the website.
    Can bring up tickets to Durham or York no problem...

17. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

That's odd. I'm seeing the same thing.

But I have managed to get it to offer me £20 tickets from Kings Cross to Dunbar, with a change at Edinburgh, so that may help you if you don't mind ending your journey "short".

18. Leisurefirst

Leisurefirst Member

Thanks, I've got it now.
    Just looked at their blurb again and it's
    "With tickets from London to Peterborough at £5, Leeds to London at £10 and Edinburgh to London at £20, start the new year with an unforgettable adventure at an unbelievably low price."

Only Edinburgh TO London then...?
    If I choose this I get the £20 promo fares but still none Northbound.
    Their loss as we won't make the journey.

19. peri

peri Member

I've just run into a problem filling in the Northern Day Offer form online, I can't fill in the departure station.
    It was working 18/11/18. I've tried both Johnston Press and Reach PLC.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2018
  20. rg177

rg177 Established Member

Yeah the website is broken. Northern are aware, and a charming man over the phone on Saturday evening told me to 'wait and deal with it'.

If you message the social media team, they'll send you a blank form to fill in via pen and paper.

21. James H

James H Member

The SWR offer is live now

22. Wolfie

Wolfie Established Member

What SWR offer?

23. James H

James H Member

The one detailed a few posts earlier in this thread.

24. Wolfie

Wolfie Established Member

Sorry, l had looked but must have just missed it...

25. Francis

Francis Member

Still broken. I need one for tomorrow.

26. rg177

rg177 Established Member

PM your email and I'll send over what they sent me.

27. peri

peri Member

Not a problem for me but the form they sent is a Johnston Press which needs 3 tokens.

28. Francis

Francis Member

Many thanks. I messaged them and they sent me back the requisite form within two minutes. Excellent service!

29. Silver Cobra

Silver Cobra Member

Only just spotted the email from LNER about their seat sale. Glad I did, seeing it finishes tomorrow. I bagged myself a return journey from Peterborough to Edinburgh for £45 (standard out and first return) for February 7th.

Try splitting your search at Peterborough, as the cost of using two tickets is the same as using just the through ticket from Kings Cross (£5 for KGX to PBO and £15 for PBO to EDB). Of course, this only works for services that stop at Peterborough.

30. James H

James H Member

SWR have taken the Black Friday fares off sale again, with the offer now showing as starting tomorrow.

They really do seem rather inept.