Special Offers Discussion

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 27 Feb 2011.

1. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

According to the Northern website, it seems that it would only be those stations that Northern serve.

When I have done this promotional offer previously, I have got the ticket from Lancaster, Preston, and Sheffield without any problems. It is noted that I have not attempted to try Glasgow Central or Queen Street at all, being as this is not an all year round permanent fare.

2. 37201xoIM

37201xoIM Member

Yes, thanks, Romilly - I'd found that but it didn't help. Eventually managed to get through on the phone, and they told me that they actually have a separate URL for this promotion, which after some scratching around I was ultimately able to locate - strikes me as a bit bonkers: why on earth not just have a field to enter a discount code?! 'Sake...!

3. Rail Ranger

Rail Ranger Member

Thanks. So Piccadilly should be OK.

4. 185143

185143 Established Member

I bought one from Aviemore once!

5. Romilly

Romilly Established Member

Sorry - I should have thought of that, as now I think about it I have taken advantage in the past of VTEC/LNER special offers which had to be accessed via a modified booking page tailored to the particular offer.

6. Silver Cobra

Silver Cobra Member

Anyone who is planning to travel on c2c off-peak on weekdays or at weekends, if you book your tickets directly through c2c's website, you can save up to a third on these tickets:

https://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets-and-fares/off-peak-discounts/online-advance-discount/

So for example, a Barking to Southend Central off-peak day return normally costs £14.90, but with this discount is only £9.80. Railcard discounts can also be applied, so using for example a Senior Railcard, this brings the fare down to £6.50.

The tickets must be booked at least 3 days in advance, and the discount only applies for journeys between stations on c2c's network.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2019
  7. cjp

cjp Established Member

I made a test booking earlier today (did not complete it) and there was a further discount on the discounted first class railcard price from Glasgow to Euston so it appears not to be limited to c2c network - or a at least at present.:D:D

8. skifans

skifans Member

Last edited: 6 Mar 2019
  9. BigCj34

BigCj34 Member

Looks like cash back offers have heated up again on Topcashback. Omio is offering 12% on all bookings, which includes UK rail, and for those wanting to use a traditional TOC site, Chiltern are offering 5%. Both appear to have 6 days left, after I don't know if they switch to Quidco or will go permanently.

EDIT: Specified it's Topcashback.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2019
  10. glenbogle

glenbogle Member

Omio 5%
    Chiltern 3.5%

Quidco.

11. BigCj34

BigCj34 Member

Offers I mentioned are with Topcashback, just added that now.

12. route:oxford

route:oxford On Moderation

I've got the usual ongoing 3% off all fares at Trainline with Amex.

I know that Scotrail process all their on-line purchases via Trainline. Are these presented through the merchanting systems as Trainline sales or Scotrail sales?

I'd just rather have the e-ticket on my Scotrail smartcard than paper tickets.

13. Chrism20

Chrism20 Established Member

I used the Scotrail website on Friday and the pending txn with the bank is showing as Scotrail

14. D6700

D6700 Member

Chiltern cashback now up to 5% with Quidco (updated 18 March). It says "For all ticket purchases".